PDA

View Full Version : I wanna play that rock and roll

Daffi
Jan-07-2005, 7:16pm
Go me. I played my first mandolin this summer that belonged to a friend of mine, and decided I was tired of the same ol' melody after melody, particularly in Celtic music. Now I'm wanting to learn all kinds of things, like bluegrass, swing, old time, and whatnot. Where do I begin?! I know I should just go to sessions, but I don't even know what tunes to start out with 'cause I'm used to the traditional Irish stuff. Any suggestions?

glauber
Jan-07-2005, 7:28pm
Do some Brazilian choros, or Bach.

mando bandage
Jan-07-2005, 9:47pm
Look for guitar chord tabs of songs you like on Tabrobot or Google. It'll keep you going for a few years. Then learn a little bit of music theory so you can figure out chord progressions by ear. That will keep you busy the rest of your life. So many songs, so little time.

R

MandoJimbo
Jan-10-2005, 9:53am
Cruise around Mandozine..When the Jigs all begin to sound the same or youn go to the B part and are playing another tune it's time for a break.. Love the traditional stuff but it's cool to break into a little "Pipeline" every now and then.. Pair that with "Secret Agent Man" and you've got a Surf Set...Both at Mandozine.

250sc
Jan-10-2005, 11:05am
Yep, mandozine is a wealth of information. Don't forget the tabs here at the cafe.

Keith Miller
Jan-16-2005, 12:25pm
Try jamming along with CDs, it's amazing what Mando fits with, old T Rex ie life's a gas works well.

plunkett5
Jan-16-2005, 11:37pm
I'd advise you to learn some simple blues chord patterns and licks in a few keys. I've played rock and country on the mandolin and you can always find an opening for some blues ideas to get you started. Steve James has a good Homespun Tapes video on starting blues mando. Worth a look. Have fun.

Whenever I get tired of playing Irish music, I look for better Irish players to play with. Nothing gets my interest up again like hearing some great playing. Take a trip to a city with great sessions and play with the best you can find.