PDA

View Full Version : Every Time I Listen To This...

Texas
Sep-08-2012, 10:57am
Each and every time it gets better. Once in a while a live version of a song stands out and Ricky Skaggs, Patty Loveless & Marty Stuart (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsoMaOLSpbg&feature=youtu.be) does so in this performance...

Cheryl Watson
Sep-08-2012, 1:22pm
I love that video and Ricky's mandolin playing is superb and mighty lonesome sounding as it should be for this song. I think they are using Neumann condenser mics and on Ricky's vocal a Shure of some sort.

Texas
Sep-08-2012, 2:08pm
I love that video and Ricky's mandolin playing is superb and mighty lonesome sounding as it should be for this song. I think they are using Neumann condenser mics and on Ricky's vocal a Shure of some sort.

The Stars were aligned on this video because it is ageless to me. Ricky's playing along with Patty & Marty's harmony works. They all knew it was a home run also...

tree
Sep-08-2012, 3:01pm
Sounds like Ricky has that Get Up John cross-tuning going on; definitely on the bass pair. Cool idea!

I also love the Stanley's version. Not to knock this one, it's excellent - lonesome, yet gently nuanced. The Stanley's version of lonesome is raw and in your face.

Tim Pike
Sep-08-2012, 9:45pm
3 of my favorites right there. Amazing sound from that mando too. Thanks for sharing this one...

Jim Broyles
Sep-08-2012, 10:16pm
Yeah, that's the Get Up John Tuning at least on the G string. This was about my least favorite version I ever heard of this song, the Stanleys being number one and Doyle Lawson being a close second. I did not really like the cross-tuning for this one and I don't think the harmony was particularly "nailed."
Check this out:PjTgaUvN2I4

Mike Bunting
Sep-08-2012, 10:27pm
Yeah, that's the Get Up John Tuning at least on the G string. This was about my least favorite version I ever heard of this song, the Stanleys being number one and Doyle Lawson being a close second. I did not really like the cross-tuning for this one and I don't think the harmony was particularly "nailed."
Check this out:PjTgaUvN2I4
I don't know how anyone could beat the singing of those brothers on this tune, when Ralph comes in on the harmony, just wow! I'm not knocking anyone elses version but I've heard nothing yet to beat the Stanleys on this one (and many others too).

tree
Sep-09-2012, 6:42am
I don't know how anyone could beat the singing of those brothers on this tune, when Ralph comes in on the harmony, just wow! I'm not knocking anyone elses version but I've heard nothing yet to beat the Stanleys on this one (and many others too).

I agree, especially on the brothers' singing. The version Jim posted, I believe, is post-Carter, although whoever is singing lead sounds strikingly like Carter. This version is actually a little more polished than my personal favorite version.

My favorite version is on a Stanley Brothers collection - I think it is the Columbia years, and I think the recording was done in the 40s or 50s. Can't put my hands on the disc package right at the moment, but it is high and lonesome, right down to the tone of the mandolin. Raw and in your face, and it somehow scratches a primitive itch like nothing else.

Willie Poole
Sep-09-2012, 11:41am
Just early this morning I heard this song being done by Beachly and Scott on "Songs Of The Mountain on PBS, and they nailed it as good as any singers that I have heard do it....That band has three ex Quicksilver singers in it and they all sing all parts...

The mandolin player is Tim Laughlin and he is as good as they come....All of that is just my opinion but what do I know? I have only been playing bluegrass for over fifty years...started when I was two...Lol

J.Albert
Sep-10-2012, 5:30pm
"I agree, especially on the brothers' singing. The version Jim posted, I believe, is post-Carter, although whoever is singing lead sounds strikingly like Carter. This version is actually a little more polished than my personal favorite version."

The lead singer is the great Roy Lee Centers, one of the finest voices to ever sing bluegrass. That version was recorded on March 22, 1973, and the mandolin player and high baritone is John Duffey, who also recorded "The Fields Have Turned Brown" with Ralph the same day.

Incidentally, Ralph was a little less-than-pleased with Duffey that day. If you want to find out more, read his book...