PDA

View Full Version : A question about the Gibson vintage A model?

pefjr
Sep-07-2012, 10:43am
I just experienced handling and playing an A model with the neck rod. It was a lot heavier than my 1919 that does not have the rod. I wonder if that causes a difference in sound also? Did Gibson deaden the beautiful sound qualities of the A model when they started putting in the rod? I don't want to base an opinion on one mandolin, so I am asking for those that have that experience to voice their opinion. on this subject.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Sep-07-2012, 12:13pm
The truss rod was introduced during the Loar era (1922-) and the As from that era are generally regarded as better sounding than those in the teens, so I can't imagine the introduction of the rod would have deadened the sound universally. However, I'm no Gibson experts and have not played a 20s model side by side a teen one, and will look forward to others more knowledgeable to chime in.

mandroid
Sep-07-2012, 12:56pm
I have 2 22 A's but I suspect they sound different because they are from the opposite ends of the catalog
A 0, brown no TR, aluminum bridge top. and an A4 with TR Ebony Bridge,

After getting a fossil walrus tusk upper bridge portion for the A4, ever so slight brightening noted,
I tried shifting the ebony bit , to substitute for the Aluminum one ..
seemed to not make a lot of change in tone, so I put the Aluminum one back on.

they are also strung different, accentuating the differences .. Vive La Difference'

danb
Sep-07-2012, 1:11pm
They seem on average different/better to me. Maybe a little loss of sustain, but a gain in the tone of the note.

Compare an Ajr snakehead with a truss rod A1 snakehead or so.. the Ajrs are a little bassier too, perhaps.

mandroid
Sep-09-2012, 3:49pm
IDK what would matter most , peg head and tuner alignment, snake vs paddle head ,
Or truss rod in or not. money says people pay more for the snake heads..

Tubby Belly Mute.. any mandolin is less bassy if I have it's back sitting against my body.

pefjr
Sep-09-2012, 7:22pm
IDK what would matter most , peg head and tuner alignment, snake vs paddle head ,
Or truss rod in or not. money says people pay more for the snake heads..

Tubby Belly Mute.. any mandolin is less bassy if I have it's back sitting against my body.Yep, snakeheads go for more money, but is that for looks/style preference, or sound? I have not heard a A jr or snakehead.

mandobassman
Sep-09-2012, 8:01pm
I owned a 1924 A Snakehead for almost twenty years and played it in a band for ten of those twenty. It was then, and still is, the best-sounding A model Gibson I have ever played. All of the earlier A models I have played sounded tubbier and more hollow-sounding. The '24 I had was powerful and projected beautifully for a oval hole model, but it still had that gorgeous mid-range tone ovals are known for. I don't think the truss rod hurt the sound of that mandolin any.

pefjr
Sep-12-2012, 11:13am
They seem on average different/better to me. Maybe a little loss of sustain, but a gain in the tone of the note.

Compare an Ajr snakehead with a truss rod A1 snakehead or so.. the Ajrs are a little bassier too, perhaps.I tested a pre rod A model 1919 with a 1936 (I think) and the 1936 has a longer sustain when fretted and held. Open strings were close or the same. The 36 has f holes and higher neck.