PDA

View Full Version : A new bridge question

New2Mando
Feb-22-2004, 7:16pm
Hi,

First, I'd like to thank Bob DeVells and Eric F for their replies to my initial post. I really appreciated the feedback.

Based on Bob's advise, I decided to experiment a bit to see what was causing my buzzing. I found it was a few things:
1. Not pushing hard enough on the strings (my fingers were really sore)
2. Not clearing the other strings.
3. Once I figured out 1 and 2 I was still getting buzzing, so decided to try a method of 'raising' the strings without having an adjustable bridge. I put a piece of leather cut from the adjustable strap of a ball cap and put it on the bridge, under the strings. The buzzing stopped, but I think the leather is acting as a damper to the sound. I've looked on the net and found the 'Brekke Bridge'.

I'm wondering if these bridges can be used with any mandolin (mine is neapolitan - round back/traditional - whatever, I don't really know what they are called). I could likely order one in over the net if the local store can't get one in.

Of course, if I'm making a huge move in the wrong direction, I'd appreciate knowing it too.

Thanks again.

Wendy

Dfyngravity
Feb-22-2004, 7:33pm
The Brekke bridges are great. It sounds like that your action was too low. So yes, I would get an adjustable bridge. The Brekke bridges are one of the best. I use them on all of my mandolins. It can be adjusted under full tension, which is one reason why I got it. The other is that there is no metal to metal peices so there is no unwanted noises. It will also give your mando a better tone. I have an extra brekke bridge that I would be willing to sell you if you would like one, it would come with two different saddle peices...as smaller one and a taller one. So you can get the action either very low or very high, all depending on what you want. If you would like to buy it from me just respond to this on the message board.

Dfyngravity

jim simpson
Feb-22-2004, 7:37pm
The Brekke is designed for a carved top mandolin and won't work for a flat top neopolitan (tater bug) mandolin. I thought Vern Brekke at Sound To Earth was experimenting with a version for a flat top and had made it available. I would email him through Weber to see if he has it available (or call Paula at Weber).

Dfyngravity
Feb-22-2004, 10:20pm
Whoops, sorry....I must have completely skipped the part where you said you have a tater bug mandolin. Sorry about that. So yea, Jim is absolutly correct. And I did hear the were working on one for a flat top.

Dfyngravity
Feb-22-2004, 10:27pm
I did a little research and they do have a brekke bridge for a flat top mandolin. If you go to www.soundofearth.com and go the instruments page you can see at the bottom where their flat top mandolins have brekke bridges on them. I would do as jim said and email them. I am sure they will work with you. Hope this helps.

Dfyngravity