PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Questions

mpolito44
Sep-04-2012, 2:03pm
Greetings,

I posted on another forum but thought I may get some help on this forum also. This is my first posting. I am interested if anyone can help me with information pertaining to this mandolin.. (maker, year of origination, name, etc.) Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Matt P.

Clicker
Sep-04-2012, 8:02pm
Greetings,

I posted on another forum but thought I may get some help on this forum also. This is my first posting. I am interested if anyone can help me with information pertaining to this mandolin.. (maker, year of origination, name, etc.) Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Matt P.

Hello Matt. Sorry. I don't know who it was but whoever it was I like 'em already. -Harry

mpolito44
Sep-04-2012, 8:07pm
I like it and it plays nice but it has some issues with repair. Have any idea on its value?

Bill Snyder
Sep-04-2012, 9:39pm
It is a Stromberg Voisenett. This eventually became Kay. Yours is quite old. I would guess from the 1920's but I am no expert on these.

Marty Jacobson
Sep-05-2012, 8:41am
That's a lot cooler than the later Kay's, in my opinion....
Could be the lighting, but it does look like someone tried to refinish it with polyurethane. In any case, it's been refinished with something, and needs a little more work on the finish to get it looking really good again.
I think it's worth spending a few hundred bucks having a competent mandolin luthier fix it up a little if you like it. If you want to minimize what you spend, just have them focus on structural soundness, setup issues, and cleaning up the finish.

Chip Booth
Sep-05-2012, 10:23am
I had a student who had a similar Kay mandolin. I really enjoyed playing it and thought it had a very pleasant, gentle tone.