PDA

View Full Version : Ry Cooder On TV

journeybear
Sep-03-2012, 6:29pm
Breaking news: Ry Cooder will be the guest on The Tavis Smiley Show on PBS tonight or tomorrrow or the next day, depending on your local affiliate. Checl your local listings as broadcast times vary widely. I use zap2it.com (http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/) for these tidbits of information, as it is pretty thorough, goes two weeks into the future, has plenty of bells and whistles. (rockontv.com WAS the best until it got bought up by VH-1 years ago and was turned into self-promotional cheese.) I have this as airing first hereabouts at 6:30 tomorrow morning. Thought it best to get this out to everyone ASAP.

Anyway, the exquisitely multi-talented Mr. Ryland P. Cooder, Esquire does not show up on TV much, and a full half-hour interview should prove interesting. Tavis does a good job researching his subjects beforehand, and his interviews are usually rewarding. If we are lucky we may get a song at the end. If we are real lucky, mandolin may be included (much more likely guitar, natch).

We now return you to your previously scheduled programming, already in progress.

Randy Smith
Sep-03-2012, 9:03pm
[QUOTE=journeybear;1085080]Breaking news: Ry Cooder will be the guest on The Tavis Smiley Show on PBS tonight or tomorrrow or the next day. . . . Thought it best to get this out to everyone ASAP.

Hope you enjoy the show--I'd love to see it. Cooder's new album is a really touching cd that deserves being heard by many.

mandocrucian
Sep-03-2012, 11:51pm
Just watched it. (Would probably have missed it had it not been for seeing Journeybear's post, as I don't usually watch Tavis)

Though I've read numerous Cooder print interviews, I'd never seen him interviewed on the tube or film (other than in Buena Vista Social Club). Thankfully, he wasn't a "disappointment". Sharp guy....he could sit on a panel discussion with the likes of Randy Newman and RT. Worth watching.

If he's doing some promotional interviews and TV for the new disc, perhaps he'll also turn up on Democracy Now (Amy Goodman would ask him to play, for sure) or on The Thom Hartmann Show.

NH