PDA

View Full Version : Picks and picking technique!

Sondrew
Sep-03-2012, 2:09pm
Hi!
I have som questions concerning picking technique and choice of picks.
I guess my way og picking and doing tremolo is something "off the book", or at least it divides from what Marshall and other teaches. My picking angle (attacking the strings) and tremolo, are towards the bridge, not the neck. This means, that normal picks (right handed) are filed on the wrong edges for me :confused:(sorry my bad norwegian-english)! Is this a bad techinque, and do you think I should try to stribe for the normal way of attacking the strings? Or do others also pick like this? I still try to angle my mando, when playing.

I have now tried the Big city (Wegen) pick, and it really did not work out that good for me. Mainly because of the edges are filed wrong for me. I also think it is to little in size.

I have also tried the Dawg pick, and I like both the size, the sound and the playability on it, BUT I do not think it gives enough "response" in way of loudness of my playing. Although it is perfect for tremolo, I do not like it for single note picking (think it is to rounded).

The best pick I have, is the one I started playing mando with. A normal medium gauge pick (for one buck or so...). This is also worn on the "right" edges for me, after my weird attack angle. The only ting with this pick, is that it can slip out of the grip more easily than a bigger pick.

I wonder if a left handed pick would fit my picking better?

Are there picks that are made for a better grip (rubber or sandpaper)?

Thanks for answers :) and tips!

Best regard, Sondre

John Kelly
Sep-03-2012, 3:32pm
By coincidence I have just been on another thread yesterday discussing picks and I often attach pieces of double-sided tape (I use a type which has a thin foam backing, used for attaching phone cables among other things) to my pick just to give me a petter grip. Other folk scratch cross-hatched lines into the pick or glue on thin cork, and I have seen sticking plaster (medical, fabric - not the modern plastic-based ones). Everyone has his/her own favourites.

Mike Bunting
Sep-03-2012, 3:37pm
You could get some rosin from a fiddle store or better yet just borrow some from your fiddler.

liestman
Sep-03-2012, 4:21pm
Sondrew, you attack the strings the same way I do and what you need is a left handed bevel on your pick. There is nothing wrong with angling the pick that way.

Sondrew
Sep-03-2012, 4:34pm
Thanks for good tips guys! IŽll try some tape on my favorite pick, it should really do the trick!
Liestman, good to know that others also plays this way. For me, it does not work angling the pick the other way. Especially when doing tremolo. I would really consider a left handed bevel pick. And then I have to ask myself if a Blue chip is really worth it .... ;). IŽll bet there are other good alternatives too.....

JeffD
Sep-03-2012, 5:26pm
You would do well with a left handed bevel, sounds like.

mandobassman
Sep-09-2012, 10:13pm
If you're willing to spend the money, Blue Chip can solve both of your issues. Their picks are available in either right or left hand bevel or without a bevel at all (which is what I prefer). They also have about the best grip and tone of any pick made. You will have grip, tone and volume with the Blue Chip.

Also, if you have any doubts about your pick angle being "Weird", just watch this (http://www.fretboardjournal.com/video/john-reischmans-loar-mandolin) video of John Reischman. He angles his pick as you do and there is nothing wrong with his playing or tone.

Sondrew
Sep-13-2012, 6:44am
Thanks for help everyone:)!