PDA

View Full Version : StewMac Wood Dyes

J. Mark Lane
Feb-22-2004, 6:34pm
I don't usually venture into these parts... way out of my element. (I did build a half-dozen all-wood banjos once, though... and I used to be a cabinetmaker <g>.)

Anyway, I have a pretty decent flat-top instrument that needs a little repair work on the top, and I was thinking of sanding off the old finish and then dying the top with one of the dyes offered by StewMac. (Cherry Red, in case you were wondering.) Does anyone have any thoughts on the question of whether that would alter the tone or volume of the instrument? I assume if you use this as a regular dye, you put it on the bare wood, pretty heavily, until it is the color you want, then apply the finish over it. Right? Wouldn't it fill the pours of the wood a bit?

Also... I was thinking of using a water-based finish on the top after it was done. Any thoughts on that? I have some water-based stuff I got from Home Depot.

Thanks.

Mark

Yonkle
Feb-23-2004, 1:28am
The dye won't change any volume or tone, but the amount of Lacquer will.

douglas2cats
Feb-26-2004, 12:10pm
Well, I'm not an expert but here goes ...
Wood dyes dont have pigment suspended in a solvent like stain does, so there's nothing that can settle out to fill up pores. Biggest issue with dies is making sure you don't use a finish that has the same 'solvent' as the dye or the color can bleed back out and muddy the finish coat. Ex: Don't use a waterbased die with a waterbased finish - unless you put some compatible sealer coat between them. I think there's generally 3 main choices for wood dies (water-based, oil-based, alcohol-based) so finding one compatible with your finish shouldn't be a problem but you may have to look around a bit. Don't know what type SM's dye is.

J. Mark Lane
Feb-26-2004, 6:46pm
Thanks, guys. That's very helpful information.

Mark