PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) 2011 Collings MF

mandomax85
Aug-27-2012, 7:16pm
Hello all, I registered here on the cafe about a year and a half ago, but this is my first post. I had the honor of meeting Scott Tichenor as a young man in Lawrence, KS back in 2003. I was playing in a duo with an upright bass player on the patio at a local bakery, Wheatfields Bakery, one morning, and was approached by a man asking me how I learned how to play mandolin like I was. I told him I was self taught, and he gave me his card. I then attended one of his mandolin workshops at the Kansas Fiddling and Picking Championships a few years later.

Anyways, this is my second Collings. I bought a MT2 back in 2003 from Mass St. Music, and it served me through over 8 years of playing out, teaching, and recording. I finally saved up enough to get this MF Gloss Top, which I actually found on the classifieds here on this site.

A previous owner buffed the satin finish on the sides, back and neck to a semi-gloss. The binding and finish ont he top is beautiful, and the tone is quite nice. I've been having trouble with some tightness in the Golden Era tuners, so I called up Stewart-McDonald and they sent me some replacement tuners. I haven't installed them yet.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the photos!

Steve-o
Aug-27-2012, 8:48pm
Cool story mandomax85. And nice Collings. First post in 3 years! Now that you broke the ice, jump in. The water is refreshing.