PDA

View Full Version : Traffic tunes

mandobob
Jan-06-2005, 11:41am
I know Steve Winwood plays mando, but the tunes I've been listening to are the songs without; Feeling Alright, Glad, Low Spark OHHB, Dear Mr Fantasy. Seems like (in the right hands)
they'd make great acoustic tunes.
Anyone know of Traffic covers with mandolin?

berkeleymando
Jan-06-2005, 12:26pm
No covers I know of, but I concur that these songs are great for mandolin. I play 'Dear Mr. Fantasy' along with a guitarist friend from time to time. It's a great song and has an easy chord progression.

mandobob
Jan-06-2005, 12:58pm
berkleymando
I bet DMF sounds great. My goal is to chart a few tunes out for going to jams. I have the main theme for Glad (sort of)
worked out on guitar, but that tune might be too hard to pull off in a jam.

JD Cowles
Jan-06-2005, 5:16pm
don't forget john barleycorn!

mandobob
Jan-06-2005, 5:30pm
Haven't gotten to 'little Sir John' yet, but you did remind me that Sea of Joy from Blind Faith might work too.

plunkett5
Jan-07-2005, 6:50pm
I've done Forty Thousand Headmen in a guitar/ mando duo that worked great.

mandolooter
Jan-08-2005, 3:32pm
I found there songs to be some of the easiest I learned to play along with for some reason...40,000 Headmen, love that tune but I haven't tried it yet...got to get out the ol' turntable again!

mandobob
Jan-10-2005, 4:38pm
As with most of my favorite tunes (George Harrison, the Band,
Little Feat, Traffic), I find that I get the basics quickly and then upon relistening I realize there's much more detail.
Low Spark being a great example; the main two chord figure will trip up a lot of players.

John Flynn
Jan-10-2005, 5:17pm
It's not exactly a Traffic cover, but a band I was in once did Winwood's "Back in the High Life." I did the mando part on it, which is pretty cool and deceptively challenging.

muzicfreak
Jan-24-2005, 5:05pm
Traffic has to be one of the most underrated rock bands out there... I love their stuff! How about empty pages.. That would be a fun song to play on mando.. definitly low sparks would be interesting

jefflester
Jan-28-2005, 2:00pm
Damn, just heard that Jim Capaldi died.

Spruce
Jan-28-2005, 2:18pm
Yeah....
Very weird timing, no?

Details here (http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000779534)...

I saw Traffic many times in the late 60's-early 70's...
One gig I remember was in about '72 at Winterland, and Dave Mason returned to sit in with the band, which included the Muscle Shoals rhythm section...

Carlos Santana also sat it for the last 3-4 songs....
Incredible show....

Joe Mangio
Jan-30-2005, 12:20pm
R.I.P. Jim Capaldi. 1/28/05