PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding an appraiser.

jucedimi
Aug-27-2012, 12:58am
We have a Gibson Mandolin from the 20's from what I have been able to figure out. We need to find a person who can appraise the Mandolin, preferably in the PHX area but if we have to travel a bit we could go a little farther. Can anyone recommend a knowledgebale appraiser for us. 9091290913909149091590916

OldGus
Aug-27-2012, 2:45am
Do you need to know what it's worth to sell it or to have it insured? It's a Loar era A2Z, there is one in the classifieds with an asking price of $5500. That one has the pick guard and the finish on yours is a little worn in that area so you might ask a little less than that if you are selling. That one also hasn't sold yet. My guess is $4600-4800. It should be an excellent mandolin from a desirable era of Gibsons.

mrmando
Aug-27-2012, 3:10am
I would get in touch with either Acoustic Vibes or The Mandolin Store, both in the metro Phoenix area:

http://www.acousticvibesmusic.com/

http://themandolinstore.com/

But OldGus is correct; it's an A2Z, which is a scarce and desirable model, and could fetch between $4K and $5K. The serial number indicates an original shipment date of early 1925.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-27-2012, 8:52am
You can also do a photo appraisal with George Gruhn at Gruhn's Guitar (www.gruhn.com) in Nashville. If it's for insurance purposes you can't beat that, it will be a high appraisal. If you really want to know what it will sell for and what it's worth contact Dennis at The Mandolin Store as Martin suggested.

jucedimi
Aug-27-2012, 11:53pm
Thank you all for your help. I called the Mandolin Store and they told me they don't do appraisals. I have a call into the Acoustic Vibes store. The girl told me I had to talk to Jeff. I'm looking for both insurance and selling appraisal. We don't want to sell it since it has sentimental value for my husband since his grandfather gave it to him. Its just other family members say it could be worth over $50k and want it even though we told them its not for sale. I just want to make sure we have it insured correctly b/c I only have it insured for $500 right now b/c I just guessed at a value. I may have to go to Gruhn, but could take a drive to LA if anyone knows of a place there. As long as we have it insured correctly the other family can go take a hike.

mrmando
Aug-28-2012, 12:30am
Not worth $50K; it isn't one of THOSE Gibsons. The Gruhn photo appraisal is less costly and time-consuming than driving to L.A. Since Gruhn appraises high, he will probably tell you it is worth $6K to $8K, but it would never sell for that amount, because of the wear and the missing pickguard. If I-10 is calling your name, though, you could try Buffalo Bros. in Carlsbad: http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/

(I dunno, though ... I just read through the 5 short descriptions of vintage Gibson mandolins currently on the Buffalo Bros. Web site, and found at least 2 heinous mistakes ...)

Everybody talks about McCabe's in Santa Monica, and it's a cool shop, but they don't move a lot of mandolins and are not mandolin experts.

I hope your husband is a player. This is too nice of an instrument to just sit and collect dust.

Here's one recently sold by a dealer; it was listed at $5895. http://www.massstreetmusic.com/store/show_item/4515-Gibson-1923-A2Z-Mando

DPrager
Aug-28-2012, 5:32am
While not worth anywhere close to $50K, it is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. Let your family have it for $10k. You can take a nice vacation and they'll have bargain:)

oneeyeross
Aug-28-2012, 12:58pm
insure it, keep it, play it. An unplayed instrument is like a painting no one sees...

OldGus
Aug-28-2012, 2:10pm
...the other family can go take a hike.
Exactly. Grandad worked hard to acquire this treasure and willed it to this one singular grandson out of love and now jealousy ensues between the have and have nots as an inherent human characteristic flaw. It doesn't mean grandad didn't love you, he just didn't give you the mandolin... so get over it! I suggest keeping and playing it unless you really need the money as it should have a wonderful tone and response, great tuners, playability, etc. I also recommend giving Gryphon Strings a call in northern Cali since they deal in a lot of high end mandolins and it seems like they might be closer if you want an in hand assessment. Gruhn's does do appraisals by mail also though...

mrmando
Aug-28-2012, 2:25pm
Let your family have it for $10k. You can take a nice vacation and they'll have bargain:)
Now that's funny!

jucedimi
Sep-01-2012, 1:27am
Thank you all for your comments and information. As much as we'd love a vacation, my husband loves that mandolin more due to it being his grandpa's. We thought since it was so old we shouldn't be messing with it, fear of it breaking or damaging it. If you all think something that old should still be played, I think he'll be trying to strum on it a bit more often and even taking some classes since its an instrument that sounds so beautiful.

Mike Snyder
Sep-01-2012, 3:24am
Jim Baggett @ Mass Street Music in Lawrence Kansas does appraisals. I'm not sure if he does it by photo or computer or just inhouse. Call him or e-mail him if you're shopping price before you bite.

JeffD
Sep-01-2012, 2:55pm
I think the neighborhood of $5K is right on. That was my immediate guess, and others have corroberated it here.

The mandolin is certainly not worth a life changing amount of money like $50K.

I would not sell something handed down from my grandfather for $5K, or even twice that, and nobody with any sense is going to buy it for much more than that, so its a keeper.

If you do decide to sell it, think of using the classifieds on this site. Better chance of it ending up with someone who plays, and appreciates what it is.

Randi Gormley
Sep-04-2012, 8:55am
While you're getting it appraised, you can also ask what it will take to get it in working order -- new strings are a given, but you might check the braces and whatnot depending on where it's been for the past few decades. A fair number of people still play their '20s Gibsons, there's no reason to put it on the wall unless it's too dried out or the neck is too bowed to be able to pluck it. Absolutely have your husband take lessons or buy him Mandolin for Dummies and turn him loose!