PDA

View Full Version : Beginning the mandolin journey

Perseverance
Aug-26-2012, 8:58pm
Hi,

I'm new to mandolin, new to music and new to this forum (but I admit that I've been reading and learning from it for about six months). Although I had never played an instrument in my life, I got bit by the mandolin bug pretty hard in late 2011. As I am not exactly a spring chicken, the learning process has been slow but I am enjoying it and I'm keeping at it. My teenage daughter, who started playing cello and bass in elementary school, now tells me I sound slightly better than the fourth graders she helps out in the local elementary orchestra.

My very short, intense mandolin journey started with an ultra cheap import mandolin that I won in a raffle. Then I quickly decided to move up when I saw a good deal on a used Eastman 504. While I love the oval hole sound, I also wanted to try a classic f-hole and, based on what I had been reading here, kept my eyes open for a Stradolin. I had just ordered one from someone here on the Cafe when I visited a music store in Baker City, Oregon. There I found something special, an oval-hole built by a local luthier in 1972.

His name was Thomas Benjamin Haynes and he was apparently something of a local musical legend. His niece owns the music store and told me a little of the mandolin's history. When she was a child she went out with him as he cut down the trees that would later become this and many other instruments. The top is spruce and the back and sides are black walnut. This was one of his first instruments. He went on to build other mandolins and also guitars, but became best known for his violins. Some pictures of his shop and his work can be seen at a University of Oregon local history website -- http://boundless.uoregon.edu/cdm4/results.php?CISOOP1=exact&CISOFIELD1=CISOSEARCHALL&CISOROOT=/folklore&CISOBOX1=Haynes%2C+Thomas+B.%2C+1905-

I spent about two hours playing around with this in the store, and kept comparing it to my Eastman. The sound just blew me away. I felt like Harry Potter when he found the right wand. It is remarkably rich and resonant, with unbelievable volume for something this size. Although the neck is quite thick, it fits my hands well and feels very comfortable (I have large hands for a woman). My husband (to whom I had just confessed about the Stradolin that was even then on its way to our house) sighed and said that I could go ahead and get it, although he'd rather not have an entire herd of mandolins in the house. So after playing with and listening to all three instruments (the Haynes, the Stradolin and the Eastman) I decided that while I love the tone of the Eastman, overall I prefer a vintage sound. The Eastman is now for sale in the Classifieds.

While I've never seen an early century Gibson A, from the pictures and from what I've read I suspect that Mr. Haynes copied one when he built this mandolin. The dimensions and shape all seem very similar and I suspect that this has the kind of tone I've read about for the Gibson A's. For some reason, Mr. Haynes used guitar tuners rather than mandolin tuners. Maybe that was all he had available at the time. They are good quality Schaller tuners, so I'm not going to worry about changing them. They just add to the unique nature of the mandolin. If anyone else knows about Mr. Haynes and his work, I'd very much like to hear it.

I do have a few questions for the group. Even though I'm a newbie, it does seem to me as though the action is high. What is the best way to get this lowered? I've included a picture of the bridge, which looks like a classic Gibson bridge. Are these hard to modify? Also, I'd like to put lighter strings on it, to moderate the volume a little and also make it easier on my newbie fingers. I don't know what's on it now, but they seem pretty heavy. Any suggestions for the strings?

Thanks for all your help (even when you didn't know you were giving it to me). I've really appreciated having a place to come and learn about mandolins. I'm looking forward to learning a lot more, and maybe meeting some of you when I get up the nerve to start playing outside of the house.

Jac Davies

Marty Jacobson
Aug-26-2012, 9:06pm
Looks like you got a good one, nice job. Get it setup by someone competent and you'll be good to go.

JEStanek
Aug-26-2012, 9:20pm
Congrats on the great new to you mandolin. Enjoy it and welcome to the Cafe.

Jamie

Steve Sorensen
Aug-26-2012, 11:16pm
What a lovely instrument! +1 on getting a set-up done by an experienced luthier -- I bet there's even more magic in there after a really good set-up.

Steve

Ron McMillan
Aug-27-2012, 12:33am
That's a very handsome mandolin, and a real find. Well done and good luck with it.

ron

Clockwork John
Aug-27-2012, 1:10am
That's a darn fine looking mandolin. You're off to a better start on your mandolin journey than I am. Hope you enjoy the ride at least as much as I have.

Bill Snyder
Aug-27-2012, 7:16am
The bridge does look like an old one piece Gibson bridge or copy of it. That bridge will work fine although it does appear to be a bit high. A pro set-up would address that issue.
You also might consider a good adjustable bridge just to make seasonal adjustments possible. If you do get it professionally set-up that would be the perfect time to have a new bridge fit to the top.
Great looking mandolin.

bmac
Aug-27-2012, 7:34am
Hard to tell from the photos but your set up doesn't look too bad to me. Lowering the bridge will probably help some as you suggest. You might try light strings and see if that helps making playing a bit more comfortable. The bridge appears to be a standard bridge but if you want to keep it intact you could buy another similar one or an adjustable bridge for not much money and keep the old one unmodified. Looking carefuly at the custom features you really have an interesting instrument. I would accept the builders judgement and retain the guitar tuners. They will work fine.
If you still have the Stradolin I would hope you retain it for a while as well. I suspect that it would offer you a really interesting tonal alternative. In any case you seem deeply into mandolins, which I think is great. You are getting into mandolins the same way I did. Kind of the hunt and peck method of aquiring instruments. It is all really fun; the researching, buying and playing.
And tell your husband "There is no such thing as too many mandolins!".

Perseverance
Aug-27-2012, 8:21am
Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I like the idea of trying an adjustable bridge. What are some good low cost alternatives?

Also, Spokane is not exactly hopping with mandolin activity. While there are a number of violin and guitar luthiers, I'm not sure if there is anyone with a ton of experience in mandolins. Is it better to go with someone locally who may have less experience, or to ship an instrument to someone who is really knowledgeable?

Thanks again,

Jac

fatt-dad
Aug-27-2012, 9:53am
I just love that mandolin!! I also love walnut!

Cheers!!

f-d

bmac
Aug-27-2012, 4:02pm
The work you are having done on your instrument is not rocket science.
Adjusting the nut, lowering your bridge or replacing it with an adjustable bridge,.. These are all standard basic adjustments made on any similar stringed instrument. Even if done poorly they will do no permanent harm to the instrument. I think you would be far better off having it done nearby so that you can speak directly with the repair person before and after repairor adjustment and will have someone to yell at in the odd chance you might have to have further adjustment. He could also change strings if you don't know how. But you should learn to do that at least. From your comments I assume it doesn't need fret adjustments, or replacement and that is the expensive part, labor wise.

Perseverance
Aug-27-2012, 10:13pm
I really appreciate all the suggestions. I'm going to have a go at installing some lighter strings and see how it feels.

Jac

Ron McMillan
Aug-27-2012, 10:56pm
The Rolls Royce of aftermarket bridges (and the standard choice of many very fine mandolin luthiers) is the Cumberland Acoustic bridge. (http://www.cumberlandacoustic.com/id2.html)

More than fifty dollars might seem rather expensive, but the importance and value of a top quality bridge is not to be sneezed at, especially when you think that a cheaper, far inferior replacement might only save 25 or 30 dollars.

ron

Jim Ferguson
Aug-27-2012, 11:18pm
She looks like a beauty.....way to go & welcome to the Cafe...:)
Peace,

fatt-dad
Aug-28-2012, 3:51pm
I'd seriously get used to J74s on your mandolin. I just think a carved top mandolin needs more than lights (at least that's my experience). I only use lights on my flattop mandolin. I have two oval hole Gibsons and use the j-74s on both of them. It's not like the instrument can't handle them. You may need to work up those calluses though!

f-d

George R. Lane
Aug-29-2012, 6:02pm
Jac,
If you are up for a day trip I would suggest Andrew Mowry in Bend, Oregon. I know Bend is a hefty drive from Spokane, but it is doable. A trip to Missoula is only about 3 hours away and you could contact George Weisel, he does great work. Send me a PM and I will give you his info. My son used to live in Spokane and I can attest to it being a virtual mandolin wasteland.

Perseverance
Aug-29-2012, 10:12pm
I'd seriously get used to J74s on your mandolin. I just think a carved top mandolin needs more than lights (at least that's my experience). I only use lights on my flattop mandolin. I have two oval hole Gibsons and use the j-74s on both of them. It's not like the instrument can't handle them. You may need to work up those calluses though!

f-d

Thanks, f-d. I can see from your signature that you've got a thing for Gibsons. I do need to work on the calluses. Have you experimented with different bridges or have you kept the originals?

Jac

fatt-dad
Aug-30-2012, 7:45am
On my A3, I've tried the "Loar-style" adjustible bridge, properly fitted by Gail Hester and such. Didn't like it (she did great work and all) - just didn't like it. So, I returned to the non-adjustible bridge. I haven't had the A2z that long, but it works so well, I'm just playing it.

What's interesting on my A3 is I had a refret to the larger fret wire. My other mandolins also have the larger fret wire. Now I got this A2Z with the thin stuff. I'm kind of liking it. It's a totally different feel beneath the fingers and you have to be more accurate to get the full sound, but it's just a slight adjustment and "bam" I'm dialed in.

f-d