PDA

View Full Version : Distressed Mando in "Mint Condition"

Jim Ferguson
Aug-26-2012, 6:24pm
I've seen several "distressed" mandos for sale over the years listed as being in "mint condition"........it got me to thinking.........how in the heck does one tell if a distressed mando is in mint condition??? How does one determine when a nick or blemish is a nick or a blemish & not part of the distressed condition???? I came upon a distressed Weber Yellowstone a couple of years ago in a local music store.......played wonderfully........looked as though someone had taken a wire brush to the instrument........dude at the store says that look is the distressed look.......makes it more valuable.
Hmmmmmmm..................:-)
Peace,

Spruce
Aug-26-2012, 6:50pm
never mind

Astro
Aug-26-2012, 8:19pm
And I don't look old...

...Just distressed.

JEStanek
Aug-26-2012, 9:21pm
Probably means the frets are fine and it wasn't mistreated. Yogi Bera usually sells those minty - distressed mandolins, right?

Jamie

allenhopkins
Aug-26-2012, 11:40pm
Still confused:
When you damage an instrument accidentally, it lowers its value;
When you damage an instrument intentionally, it increases its value.

"Distressing" to me equals "damage," albeit skillfully inflicted so as not to impair sound or function. Like Moliere's M. Jourdain, who realized he'd been speaking "prose" all his life unknowingly, I've been enhancing the value of my instruments unintentionally by dinging, scraping, and de-finishing them. This used to distress me, but now I'm undistressed because my instruments are distressed.

I think.

shortymack
Aug-26-2012, 11:41pm
Reminds me of hot ice cream.

Clockwork John
Aug-27-2012, 12:22am
So, if I drop, chip, delaminate, or strip my instrument, I am damaging it, but if I hit it with a wire wheel on my grinder, or take a belt sander to it, I am "distressing" it, and increasing the value? Makes about as much sense as paying $120 for a "distressed" jeans that looks EXACTLY like the $2 pair I picked up at a thrift shop... There's used, and then there's abused. I fail to see how the abuse that goes into "distressing" an instrument, a pair of jeans, or a piece of furniture adds to its value or longevity.

Ron McMillan
Aug-27-2012, 12:28am
I am of the view that the sales and marketing of so-called 'distressed' instruments is proof positive that the old adage about 'there is one born every minute' applies to the mandolin world.

Can you imagine if 'distressed' cars were for sale? Brand new, straight off the showroom floor, but expertly dinged, scratched, chipped, gouged and bashed just to look like a genuine 150,000-miler?

almeriastrings
Aug-27-2012, 2:14am
Well.......

There is a long history of this in the violin world. They have been doing it for a very long time. It is only comparatively recently it has taken off with guitars and mandolins. You can view it various ways. On the one hand as "damage", on the other as an art form in its own right. Done well, it is impressive. Done badly, it looks cheap and obviously "fake". I do have one distressed mandolin, by Silverangel. Seen in real life, it does look very nice (in my opinion). It is certainly always a talking point.... whether you like "distressed" instruments or not is really down to personal taste. I find them interesting, and I do appreciate the very high level of skill required to produce "the look".

I totally understand why some people prefer natural wear and tear, or showroom new, however.

Ron McMillan
Aug-27-2012, 2:29am
The Silverangel is genuinely beautiful, without a doubt, but as Almeira says, some folk want 'natural' wear and tear. If the Silverangel was mine, I'd very quickly tire of having to explain to anyone who saw it that no, it isn't actually old, it's just made to look old. And after that, dealing with the entirely logical follow-up 'But why?? would quickly wear pretty thin. Each to his own...

Bertram Henze
Aug-27-2012, 4:38am

Not quite. Value is a vector, i.e. value of the same item to one person might differ from value to another. So it goes like that:

1. When some noob damages an instrument in seconds, it lowers its value to everybody.
2. When some superstar celebrity player damages his instrument in years, it increases its value to others.

Wait - both of these are accidental; that's where distressing comes into play:

3. When some expert damages your instrument so you can pretend you had done it yourself as a superstar celebrity player in years, it increases its value - to your imagination.

Bertram Henze
Aug-27-2012, 4:42am
Can you imagine if 'distressed' cars were for sale? Brand new, straight off the showroom floor, but expertly dinged, scratched, chipped, gouged and bashed just to look like a genuine 150,000-miler?

They exist - it's a class of custom cars known as "rat rods".

http://www.ratbike.org/photos/soe08/031.jpg

JEStanek
Aug-27-2012, 7:45am
A well done distressed finish can be as visually appealing to folks as a well done pristine finish. It depends upon the tastes of the buyer. I don't think buying one makes one a fool or a sucker, just different tastes.
Jamie

William Smith
Aug-27-2012, 7:53am
Well I never cared what a mando/any instrument looks like,who cares if its pristine as long as both sound great and have all the stuff buy what has the sound...it is strange that people pay thausands more for "relics",,they must sound great or at least you'd like to think they do????

UncleDave
Aug-27-2012, 8:01am
Any visual presentation creates a response/reaction to augment what is heard. When I see a player with a well-worn instrument (or even a case!), my first conclusion is that said player has a long, active relationship with the instrument, increasing the expectation of competence. If I assume I am looking at a skilled player, I will most likely "hear" in a way to confirm my expectation.

"Perception is more important than reality."

JEStanek
Aug-27-2012, 8:47am
Dont expect mutch compentcy if you see me with a vintage (and vintage looking) old Gibson A-oval or Martin!

Jamie

palosfv3
Aug-27-2012, 8:55am

While "Rat Rods" are functioning automobiles , Please , Please , don't confuse them with real period correct customs cars . Here is a link to Rik Hoving's Site so you can see what a real era correct custom car is.

http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/

Sorry for the rant . Just needed to clarify customs a bit .

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion....

Bertram Henze
Aug-27-2012, 9:06am
Please , Please , don't confuse them with real period correct customs cars

I am aware of the difference. Beauty can't hide. I hold the same with instruments.

JeffD
Aug-27-2012, 9:21am
I'd very quickly tire of having to explain to anyone who saw it that no, it isn't actually old, it's just made to look old. And after that, dealing with the entirely logical follow-up 'But why?? would quickly wear pretty thin. Each to his own...

I solved that problem long ago. I don't explain nuthin to nobody.

Ron McMillan
Aug-27-2012, 9:31am

Yep, each to his own. I like communicating with people, so the information exchange thing wouldn't work in the distressed mandolin's favour, so far as I was concerned.

rm

Bernie Daniel
Aug-27-2012, 9:45am

Did you see the video of that particular rat rod in the pic above getting high-centered trying get out of the garage? Funny.

Bernie Daniel
Aug-27-2012, 9:52am
I'd very quickly tire of having to explain to anyone who saw it that no, it isn't actually old, it's just made to look old. And after that, dealing with the entirely logical follow-up 'But why?? would quickly wear pretty thin. Each to his own...

Many pickers want to play vintage mandolins -- but these are in limited supply and therefore they are expensive and beyond the reach of many -- so the same impulse that drives one to spend their money on an F-style instead of buying a better quality A-style -- drives the market of new, distressed mandolins. Vanity. But why not? You only live once -- probably.

almeriastrings
Aug-27-2012, 10:44am
Many pickers want to play vintage mandolins -- but these are in limited supply and therefore they are expensive and beyond the reach of many -- so the same impulse that drives one to spend their money on an F-style instead of buying a better quality A-style -- drives the market of new, distressed mandolins. Vanity. But why not? You only live once -- probably.

I don't really think that has much - if anything - to do with it. Certainly in my case. I have quite a few very fine mandolins, and other vintage instruments collected over 30+ years. If I want a vintage mandolin, I can buy one. Indeed, I have owned quite a lot of them over the years (some I should probably never have let go). I tend to judge instruments on a) Tonal properties and b) Craftsmanship and materials. If something ticks both boxes, it interests me - if not, it doesn't (no matter what it is, or when it was made). Simple as that. I'll buy, and use, instruments from 'modern' makers, and vintage instruments of all ages - provided they meet those criteria. Distressing is very much a niche, very specialized area in its own right. I really don't think at the higher levels (multi-$K instruments) anyone is either being fooled, or trying to fool anyone else. Everyone knows a RS DMM is precisely that, and not a '23 Loar! That does not diminish the interest and inherent value of a RS DMM, however. They are what they are. Like 'em or not.

Spruce
Aug-27-2012, 11:18am
A well done distressed finish can be as visually appealing to folks as a well done pristine finish. It depends upon the tastes of the buyer. I don't think buying one makes one a fool or a sucker, just different tastes.

If I found a vintage Loar, Telecaster, Vox AC-30, D-18 or Jazzmaster in immaculate condition (and I have on a few of those), I'd dump it faster than I could blink....

I don't happen to like the feel or the look of pristine instruments--and the responsibility of keeping them that way--and it doesn't matter if the instrument is new or old...

And I love the feel and look of a well-worn instrument--whether it's new or vintage....

Antiquing is an art form that I have the highest respect for when done well...
And bashing that art form--and the years that it takes to acquire those skills--is getting really really old....

shortymack
Aug-27-2012, 11:47am
Music is one of only a few collectible industries where a product thats worn can be actually sought after for some reason. With most other collectibles something distressed or worn out , furniture, baseball cards, art for example, makes the value of the product considerably less than if it were immaculate which makes sense to me.

Willie Poole
Aug-27-2012, 11:51am
Pickers want them for the same reason they have "The Gibson" inlaid on the peg head...It`s a status symbol for some of them...I just let people think mine is old if they want to, I get asked quite a few times, "How old is your mandolin" I say i don`t really know and let them think what they want to think....Some of them ask to see the label inside and I let them and they just smile, it`s a 1981 but looks like a 1920`s F model....It was distressed to try and get a better tone out of it, it didn`t work though....

Willie

Spruce
Aug-27-2012, 11:56am
With most other collectibles something distressed or worn out , furniture, baseball cards, art for example, makes the value of the product considerably less than if it were immaculate which makes sense to me.

Well, if a vintage instrument is pristine, it's value obviously shoots through the roof....
Which is another reason I'd dump it... ;)

I just happen to really love the road warriors, whether it's Hoss or something like this:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/e_stamp/6746242193_00985720de_z.jpg

allenhopkins
Aug-27-2012, 12:05pm
...I just happen to really love the road warriors...

I agree wholeheartedly. I'm just not as attracted to the road posers.

A tastefully "antiqued" finish, hey, that's fine. Dipping tuning pegs in acid (a la Fender) to make them look "vintage," not-so-fine in my book.

Big Joe did a really informative post a while ago, explaining how Gibson's distressing process actually enhances the sound of the mandolin. I'd never presume to argue with his experience and expertise.

I just find the whole concept of imparting synthetic "wear" to new products, a bit off-putting. But if the market's there, and buyers are willing to pony up extra buxx for distressed instruments, then they'll sell. Probably not to me.

shortymack
Aug-27-2012, 12:15pm
The new distressed Mac. Only $1.50 more.:))

Spruce
Aug-27-2012, 12:16pm
I agree wholeheartedly. I'm just not as attracted to the road posers.

So, on the pic I posted, which is it?
Poser or warrior?

How about the fiddles in so-ooo many orchestras that started this whole trend?

Again, it's all about the feel under the fingers...
...and the fact that you don't have to be quite as worried about leaving a 5-million dollar fiddle in a cab or an 80K Tele on the bandstand...

Bertram Henze
Aug-27-2012, 1:42pm
So, on the pic I posted, which is it?
Poser or warrior?

It's the differences which puzzle me:
- the body: ok, looks like what Pete Townshend produced every night, BUT...
- with all that hacking the body obvioulsy got, how did that tiny delicate dip switch survive? (I myself broke that switch once on a guitar the rest of which still looked like new)
- I'd imagine the player of something like this to do lots of screaming high register string bending; the fretboard should be grey and brown with rubbed-in cigarette ash and tar, the frets should be worn down, but it all is looking spotless!?

Now it's your turn to defuse my forensics...

terzinator
Aug-27-2012, 8:50pm
I TOTALLY screwed up when I sold my old Collings MT at a loss because of the wear. Distressed, distressed, distressed.

What intrigues me is this: At what point does an instrument's naturally distressed nature become an asset? Does it ever? A minty Gibson Loar would be worth more than an honestly distressed Loar, all things being equal, right? (We're not talking about legend-owned Loars, though, just regular, old, run-of-the-mill Loars. ;) )

I see far fewer "pre-washed" acoustic guitars, that's for sure. Fender electrics, sure... and some mandolins, but rarely acoustic guitars.

Jeff Hildreth
Aug-27-2012, 10:02pm
Rat Rods are as phony as purposely distressed instruments.

Back "in the day".. we hung cars together with what we had on hand.. used this, used that,.. make it work.. go for the mechanicals first and when you had the dough, paint, trim and chrome.

Now "Rat Rods" are being fabricated to attempt the real deal, and the fabricators/owners spend lots of money to do it..
Defies the definition of Rat Rod. They don't get it. There was a Rat Rod show in Grants Pass Oregon this weekend.. nice try.

Real Rat Rods happen, just as genuine mando wear just happens. This is truly distressing.

allenhopkins
Aug-27-2012, 10:16pm
So, on the pic I posted, which is it? Poser or warrior?..

Well, the "relic" Jazzmasters I find on-line don't have whammy bars, or replacement bridge pickups, and the tailpieces are acid-treated and dulled. This one has a shiny tailpiece, and I'm guessing it's use-distressed rather than "relic-ed." (And "relic" isn't a verb, not in my dictionary.)

I may well be wrong.

Ron McMillan
Aug-27-2012, 10:49pm
Antiquing is an art form that I have the highest respect for when done well...
And bashing that art form--and the years that it takes to acquire those skills--is getting really really old....

Bashing the views that others are perfectly entitled to have on what they perceive to be the lack of attractiveness and/or pointlessness of fake antiquing also gets sort of old.

Axeman
Aug-27-2012, 10:56pm
It ain't noway no part of nuthin to nobody nohows.

Jim Ferguson
Aug-27-2012, 11:01pm
Excellent Allen....:-)

Still confused:

"Distressing" to me equals "damage," albeit skillfully inflicted so as not to impair sound or function. Like Moliere's M. Jourdain, who realized he'd been speaking "prose" all his life unknowingly, I've been enhancing the value of my instruments unintentionally by dinging, scraping, and de-finishing them. This used to distress me, but now I'm undistressed because my instruments are distressed.

I think.

Jim Ferguson
Aug-27-2012, 11:13pm
How about Willie Nelson's guitar!!!!!! Now that is about as distressed an instrument as I've ever seen.....:grin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqJJsCEQGxc

Peace,

Tiderider
Aug-27-2012, 11:39pm
Some distressing is quite appealing, however I've seen some distress that appears to be to the detriment of the instrument. Personally I'm on the side of honest wear and tear, but to each is own.

Ron McMillan
Aug-28-2012, 12:59am
The ultimate in genuinely distressed instruments might be Glen Hansard's Takamine guitar (http://www.takamine.com/hwg/guitar/glen_hansard) that he used in the movie Once

I was most impressed when he and his co-writer even turned up on different shows (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPbC2YrUUsI) to play their Oscar-winning song 'Falling Slowly' from the movie - and he played his battered Takamine (when every maker on the planet would have offered him his pick of their ranges for free).

Links
Aug-28-2012, 5:58pm
Let me make sure I have this right. If you see someone on stage (or in a jam) with a great sounding mandolin with plenty of wear you just love it if you find out it is really an older naturally worn instrument, but can't stand it if it turns out to be artificially worn! Makes sense to me!

allenhopkins
Aug-28-2012, 7:38pm
Let me make sure I have this right. If you see someone on stage (or in a jam) with a great sounding mandolin with plenty of wear you just love it if you find out it is really an older naturally worn instrument, but can't stand it if it turns out to be artificially worn! Makes sense to me!

Never said that; I'd love a great-sounding mandolin whether it looked shiny and new, or like it had been dragged behind the bus on a rope.

Just don't understand the concept of "artificial wear." Wear happens (is that a bumper sticker?), and my instruments look "distressed" soon enough. I don't love 'em more or less for having lacquer checks, pick scratches, or li'l indents behind the most-used frets.

Would I pay a premium to get an instrument that looked "worn," if the distressing process didn't enhance sound or playability? No, I wouldn't. You're free to disagree, and pony up the buxx to support your viewpoint, should you choose.

JLeather
Aug-28-2012, 8:05pm
I'm also a big fan of true "road warriors". I always liked that Silverangel, although I'd rather pay less for an actually beat-up instrument than more for an intentionally distressed one. Case in point, this '36 A50-A5 conversion that I keep around the house :)

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k113/JLeatherman_CF/Mandolins/1936%20Gibson%20A50%20to%20A5%20Convert/CIMG5715.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k113/JLeatherman_CF/Mandolins/1936%20Gibson%20A50%20to%20A5%20Convert/CIMG5717.jpg

Jim Ferguson
Aug-28-2012, 8:25pm
I guess the distressing of a mando (or any instrument for that matter) is like the designer jeans one buys with all the tattered fringes & holes etc etc.........5 x the $$$ for already worn clothes........or how about paying more for food with LESS additives & promoting it as "health food"......:mad:
I guess my preference is to buy the mando in pristine condition & let me "distress" it naturally in my own way.
Peace,

JEStanek
Aug-28-2012, 8:41pm
I think there is an important distinction between a distressed mandolin distressed jeans. The former is not a consumable while the latter is. Jeans, for fashion sake, not as work clothing, are supposed to last only so long (maybe 2 years) while mandolins (the shiny and the distressed) are intended to last generations. The choice to get one finished in that manner is no different than the decision to get an F style vs an A style, IMO. There are as many motivations go get one distressed as there are to get a shiny new one. I can certainly appreciate those who have the skill to pull distressing off well. I've seen some great and awful examples.

I'm not even in the camp of wanting to buy a new (shiny or distressed) mandolin now and if I did, I would likely sink my more modest resources into the build and not the finish. But I can still see why some folks with the means spend the premium for it.

Jamie

JonZ
Aug-28-2012, 9:18pm
It is interesting how some folks in the mandolin world get worked up about distressing as a poseur move, and that it is so taken for granted in the world of bowed instruments. In violins it is usually more along the lines of "antiquing" and less taking the belt sander to the instrument. But I do see some of what would be called "distressing" (gouges, etc.) among new violins.

To me an "antique" finish is just another color scheme. Paint and stain do nothing to the sound, so it is all just an affectation. I was hoping my sunburst would make the tone actually burst forth from my mandolin, but it don't.

testore
Aug-28-2012, 9:31pm
Talent and idiocy should NOT be confused. I haven't seen ANYTHING from any major company who's distressing looks good. It's all really bad in fact. Gibson included. It takes a lot of ability to do a good looking job. scratches and ugly dings all over just look stupid. The Weber stuff LOOKS fake, that's not the idea behind proper antiquing. It's supposed to make you look twice and wonder how old it is, even if it's only for 5 seconds. They're all really terrible looking. But properly done faking isn't harmful or dangerous to the instrument. Trust the ones who know what they're doing. I saw a KILLER Kemnitzer from the 80's last year...KILLER!

Clockwork John
Aug-28-2012, 10:42pm
My biggest issue with "distressed" instruments is that I have yet to see a "distressed" instrument with the right kind of wear in the right places. Most of them just look like they've had the crap beat out of them, not like they've been played for generations... Or even played with by multiple generations of children. A well-worn, well-played, well-loved instrument, vintage or new, is one thing, but something that looks like it was acid-washed, chiseled, sanded, and hit with chains, but clearly hasn't been played, and is marked up above retail for a similar, "minty fresh" instrument...? No thanks, I'll save a few bucks.

Spruce
Aug-29-2012, 1:12am
It's all really bad in fact. Gibson included.

Have you seen the ones that a violin maker we both know did for Gibson??
Interesting....

Bertram Henze
Aug-29-2012, 1:24am
I'd hate someone to look at an instrument I've played for decades and say "that's a sloppy distress job you've got there - how much did they charge you?"

On the other hand, if ageing is getting chique, my own face might be worth more than I can afford...

JonZ
Aug-29-2012, 1:49am
So, if mandolin distressers are mostly doing it wrong, are violin distressers doing it right? I never look at a violin and think that it has obviously been aged. Granted, I don't have a trained eye.

Bertram Henze
Aug-29-2012, 2:33am
So, if mandolin distressers are mostly doing it wrong, are violin distressers doing it right? I never look at a violin and think that it has obviously been aged. Granted, I don't have a trained eye.

From my own age-old experience as a ex-violinist, I'll say that #1 distress factor on violins is rosin. During playing, it constantly snows on top and fretboard. Some players wipe it off after playing, others don't care if their instrument looks like a glacier (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Q8V1F1zSQ). Rosin eats varnish. So, the degree of natural distress per year varies a lot with the player.
I don't know if you could do the same thing with one generous swig of sulphuric acid in seconds, but it would certainly look different.

William Smith
Aug-29-2012, 5:34am
[QUOTE=JLeather;1083405]I'm also a big fan of true "road warriors". I always liked that Silverangel, although I'd rather pay less for an actually beat-up instrument than more for an intentionally distressed one. Case in point, this '36 A50-A5 conversion that I keep around the house :)

Happy to see my ole beat up conversion job is still out there and being loved,,,for somethin so strange lookin boy she sure sounded great!!! I did a lot of work to that old A model and love the looks of her..a true tone monster for being a freak...Billy

Mandolin Mick
Aug-29-2012, 7:05am
I think it's interesting how people want "vintage", but that means different things depending on the item. People generally want a "vintage" car to look pristine but there are musicians who want their new instrument to look "distressed".

I'm not into cars but as far as instruments go, I wouldn't want a distressed mandolin. I've always taken good care of my instruments and it bugs me if I ding them.

But, if somebody wants a distressed mandolin, fine. I just wouldn't want one. However, if somebody gave me Bill Monroe's Loar, I'd do my best to tolerate it ... ;)

Spruce
Aug-29-2012, 8:48am
People generally want a "vintage" car to look pristine but there are musicians who want their new instrument to look "distressed".

Again, it's all about the feel...

I played a '59 Fender Jazzmaster last night that had the most wonderful feeling neck I've ever laid fingers on...
Tons of hours have been logged on that thing, and it was as smooth as the banister at an old Spanish castle staircase...

Compare that to the stickness of a lot of new necks, and you begin to realize the charm of wear and tear...

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/e_stamp/1959%20Jazzmaster/P1140373.jpg

mandopete
Aug-29-2012, 9:02am
Yes, it is about the feel, especially the on the neck. The distressing on the body is another thing altogether in my opinion. I have had my Flatiron mandolin now about 20 years and outside of a small ding near the top of the point it still looks pretty new. How does a guitar get as beat as the one Bruce has? My guess it would have to be a professional traveling musician. Hard to imagine how an amatuer like me could get it to look like that.

mandopete
Aug-29-2012, 9:16am
Here's the look I like. I have no idea what you have to do to get that. My hands can sweat like nobody's business, but I have never had a guitar do this....

Spruce
Aug-29-2012, 10:55am
Here's the look I like. I have no idea what you have to do to get that. My hands can sweat like nobody's business, but I have never had a guitar do this....

I don't know why more folks don't put maple 'boards on mandos, other than tradition...
Love that look (and feel) too...

mandopete
Aug-29-2012, 3:25pm
Would a maple fretboard work on a traditional acoustic mandolin, like an F-5? If so I totally want one!

Yeah, I just noticed the Eric Clapton signature cigarette-burn on the headstock by the last tuner. This "distressing" is a true art form!

bratsche
Aug-29-2012, 3:53pm
From my own age-old experience as a ex-violinist, I'll say that #1 distress factor on violins is rosin. During playing, it constantly snows on top and fretboard. Some players wipe it off after playing, others don't care if their instrument looks like a glacier (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Q8V1F1zSQ).

That's one of the ways you can tell the difference between a violin and a fiddle, didn't you know?

:))

bratsche

Links
Aug-29-2012, 10:42pm
It's funny to me to sit here and read these comments and try to understand how so many people know why I (or anyone) would buy a distressed mandolin. The fact is that no one knows! Before I bought my distressed Master Model I would have scoffed , like many of you, at the thought of buying an instrument (and paying a premium) for something that had been artificially worn. I had no intention of buying one - until I played the one I wound up buying. It was by far the best mandolin I had ever played, including Harry West's Loar and many other high dollar instruments. At that point I could have cared less what the distressing looked like. I just loved the mandolin. I would have never bought it or any other instrument based on pure aesthetics.

For the record, if I were an instrument maker, I would never take a new instrument with a perfect finish and "distress" it. I would have to feel like any distressing also added to the tone of the instrument and the "distress" would have to be "built" into it, much like Big Joe says was done for the Master Models. Some of you builders may say "poppycock" - and I couldn't argue with your opinion - but I have no reason to not believe Joe either!

mandopete
Aug-30-2012, 9:01am
I think the problem with distressing an instrument comes into play when the goal is to deceive. I'm with you when it comes to the sound and feel of the instrument being the most important thing. I have always said I don't really care what it looks like (as long as it's not bright pink).

Now with my luck I'll find a really cool, old, distressed PINK Telecaster.

:)

testore
Aug-30-2012, 9:35am
Mandopete, I disagree completely. It is an art form when it is done right. By the word "deceive" I feel that it is important to trick (deceive) the eye. These new looking banged up instruments that are being overproduced now just look terrible and dirty. When it is done right you just can't tell at a quick glance. That is the deception that becomes the art form. I have seen a lot of distressed gibsons and a few Webers and they are terrible. Don't judge the art form by these poor examples. I don't support, however, selling faked up instruments as the real article. This is BTW very difficult to actually do. There are SO many people who really know their stuff that selling a fake is not that common anymore, and that's a good thing.

Spruce
Aug-30-2012, 12:37pm
These new looking banged up instruments that are being overproduced now just look terrible and dirty.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/e_stamp/1951%20Nocaster%20Copy/P1090088.jpg

mandroid
Aug-30-2012, 12:48pm
Reminds me of hot ice cream.
Baked Alaska, with melted caramel?

Tom Haywood
Aug-30-2012, 1:31pm
Guess I'd rather have mine distressed than bent out of shape.

almeriastrings
Aug-30-2012, 1:35pm
I'd rather have one slightly distressed than really, really, really upset....

azflyman
Sep-04-2012, 3:45am
If I found a vintage Loar, Telecaster, Vox AC-30, D-18 or Jazzmaster in immaculate condition (and I have on a few of those), I'd dump it faster than I could blink....

I had a '53 Esquire that was just about mint, original case as well. Some bonehead named Keith Richards owns it now. He did not seem to mind the condition.

Mandolin Mick
Sep-04-2012, 4:25am
Yeah, but he doesn't mind the condition of himself either ... ;)

Nick Gellie
Sep-04-2012, 5:52am
Well, I bought a lightly distressed Beck violin from Steve Perry. The distressding has been really tastefully done. It just has a hint of distress built into it. It really suits the violin and does not distract me at all while playing it. I think that the same would apply to a mandolin. it has to be tastefully done. Some of the distressed mandolins shown on the cafe are distressed too much to try and give them a used vintage look. Personally, that is not my taste. As the French say 'chacun a son gout'.

homejame
Sep-04-2012, 2:54pm
'stressed' has become the norm for guitars- so why not mandos. - I mean , there are versions of 'blackie' around - and isn't there a version of rory gallagher's old strat kicking around as well? It's appearing now in model railroading - where you can now buy 'weathered' finish loco's ( and freight wagons as well) . So - get a new car - don't clean it for a couple of months, then spray the 'finish' lacquer onto the dirt ---- no seriously - and maybe charge an extra grand or so.....
me- I like to build my model aircraft factory fresh - I only put bullet holes in when I can afford the....... no........ nurse......... please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!