PDA

View Full Version : Absolute fretboard

MarvinFowler
Jan-06-2005, 10:45am
Has anyone used Absolute fretboard ? I have downloaded the trial version which is limited to a couple of perfunctory lessons and was considering purchasing the full blown version. Before I do I thought I'd poll the board here and see if any members had used it and what their opinions were. It appears a bit cumbersome and time consuming. My knee-jerk reaction is that I'd rather be playing/practicing but again, anything that makes me a better player has value to me.

JimD
Jan-06-2005, 11:02am
I don't know the program at all but I am rather skeptical.

I don't see any reason that you can't learn the fretboard better by intelligent practice. It's perfectly logical (the fretboard that is) and I have learned several different tunings (mandolin, mandocello, lute, 4 differnt guitar tunings, 3 different banjo tunings, balalaika and bouzouki) to the point that I can improvise and sightread on all of them.

I don't consider that I am ever "done" learning them but they are learned to the point that I am confident to use them in the way described...

Sorry I can't offer an informed opinion about Absolute Fretboard -- my opinion about that kind of thing in general is that you probably don't need it.

What you need is to study the fingerboard while using it so that your reflexes keep up with your understanding.

MarvinFowler
Jan-06-2005, 11:57am
Thanks for the reply Jim. My problem is I find it difficult to memorize songs so I'm constantly reading from the sheet and can't really study what I'm doing on the fretboard. It's odd especially since it's not like I have difficulty learning/memorizing. Roland Martin has said that he finds students memorize quicker when they're playing "knee-to-knee" and not from sheet music. I have to agree; unfortunately my search for a teacher in my general vicinity has been fruitless.

JimD
Jan-06-2005, 11:59am
What is your general vicinity?