PDA

View Full Version : Right Hand position

Blombie
Aug-24-2012, 5:32pm
Hi all,

I notice I tend to rest my middle, ring and pinky fingerson the mandolin top when picking.
Using it as a point of reference. I remember from some old guitar lessons long ago that that was a no no. It is also bad form on the mandolin? should I curl my fingers under with no contact?

Thanks

bmac
Aug-24-2012, 7:14pm
There are certainly different techniques of playing (right hand). Using a finger as a pivot point (posting) is one of them. Not necessarily "wrong" but perhaps limiting for some players... The thing I notice about posting a finger is that it limits the tonal experiences possible by not posting but "floating" your hand above the mandolin and not posting. the floating of the right hand allow you to move close to the bridge, near the fretboard, and even over the fretboard up the neck for greater tonal range. Some dont take advantage of this range, but some do and make good use of it. Look closely at some players on Youtube and you will find those who post and those who don't. This is one of the tonal options you have as a player.

Blombie
Aug-25-2012, 7:20am
Thanks bmac,

Bill