PDA

View Full Version : Can heavy gauge strings be bad for your instrument?

jman72
Aug-22-2012, 11:46am
Hi everyone,

I've searched the forums for an answer to this, but can't find one (I'm sure it's been asked before) so I thought I'd ask anyway. I've got heavy gauge strings (0.012-0.040)on my Weber Special Edition F style. I absolutely LOVE the tone and volume of these strings and the SE, but I was curious if heavy gauge strings could be bad for a mandolin over time. Do the heavier gauge strings exert more stress on the top/neck? Is it better to use light/medium strings, or are heavy gauge strings just fine? Being new to an "expensive" mandolin (at least for me) I was just curious (and a bit paranoid about my new mando) what you all thought since I have no experience with this.

I know with my acoustic guitar (a Taylor) heavy gauge strings are not recommended due to the extra stress (Taylor recommends light to medium gauge) and I was wondering if this is the case with mandolins as well, or are they just built to use any string gauge safely.

Thanks for any insight!

John

Pete Summers
Aug-22-2012, 11:58am
Heavier strings do exert more tension on the top of the instrument, but certainly a Weber F style should be strong enough not to be over stressed by that. I wouldn't use heavy strings on a bowl back or the more lightly constructed A type Pac Rim instruments. Light strings for those models, and antiques, seems to be the conventional wisdom. But I should think any decent f style could handle a 0.40 G string. Not much of a mandolin, IMO, if it can't. :)

JEStanek
Aug-22-2012, 12:04pm
Ask Weber for their opinions on it. They are very responsive and won't stear you wrong. I would imagine it is fine but don't have any technical reason to say so.

Jamie

Pete Summers
Aug-22-2012, 12:06pm
Ask Weber for their opinions on it. They are very responsive and won't stear you wrong. I would imagine it is fine but don't have any technical reason to say so.

Jamie

I agree. Ask Weber.

sgarrity
Aug-22-2012, 1:15pm
First of all, you're not using heavy strings. Second, they will not cause any issues on your Weber. 99.99% of carved top mandolins are built to handle J74 and J75 kinds of gauges

Bill Baldridge
Aug-22-2012, 1:19pm
Ask Weber. Why would you want to ask for opinions when you can ask the people who made your mandolin?

jman72
Aug-22-2012, 3:44pm
As you've all correctly suggested, I have asked Weber this question (I sent them an email earlier today posing this very question and am awaiting a response). Coming from a guitar background where it can be an issue, I was just curious what the Forum Members thought or what experiences they might have had regarding string gauges and long-term impact on their mandolins. I know everyone has an opinion, and I'm sure I'll hear back from Weber soon to get the definitive answer from the builders themselves, but I'm still interested in hearing what people have to say about their own experiences with other builders/brands.

By the way, the strings are "John Pearse #2200H Heavy Gauge strings". So, maybe as suggested, these are not truly "heavy" gauge strings (or at least not as heavy as J75s).

Darrell D
Aug-22-2012, 10:33pm
I had the same question, so I called Weber and they not only said it would be ok but recommended it. After putting some j-75's on, it really pops now!

Fretbear
Aug-23-2012, 12:09am
Considering that we are talking about modern carved top mandolins (F & A5's) and not delicate old bowl backs, or even vintage Gibson oval holes, I have found that the instrument will tell you what the right gauge is for it. I have put .011.5" on a particular mandolin and you could immediately feel the extra string tension close down the sound, whereas on another one, it was just what was needed to bring up the volume and response. You can safely use up to an .018" gauge for the A string. It is the combined load of all the string tension together that will give the instrument it's characteristic feel and playability. Using what is sold as packaged sets can be very limiting, considering that every instrument is different.

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-23-2012, 1:38am
You did the right thing in asking Weber. Personally i feel that your mandolin will be fine - but,if in doubt ask,as you have done.Again,personally,i don't care for strings heavier than the J74's 10-40. You do get the added 'power' of the heavier strings,but i feel,at the expense of sustain. Heavier strings need a harder 'pick' to get 'em on the move & they slow down quicker as well hence the comparable lack of sustain,
Ivan

Phil Goodson
Aug-23-2012, 6:50am
...i don't care for strings heavier than the J74's 10-40..... Ivan

J74's are 11-40