PDA

View Full Version : My new Brock Octave Mandolin

Chip Booth
Aug-21-2012, 12:35pm
Well, it's still in the white but I was able to play it along with it's three litter mates today. I can tell you there will be four very happy OM owners in the near future. All of the instruments were fantastic, with subtle differences between them. I would be happy to own any of them, so I feel very lucky. Now it's time to wait as they are finished...

JEStanek
Aug-21-2012, 2:37pm
Nice. I can't wait to see it finished.

Jamie

amowry
Aug-21-2012, 2:44pm
Sweet! Fletcher does beautiful work.

Steve-o
Aug-21-2012, 7:51pm
Nice. I can't wait to see it finished.

Jamie

...along with some sound clips!

Linds
Aug-22-2012, 12:41am
That's fantastic, Chip! I see you got the narrower neck like mine. Are you getting the G and D strings in octaves or strung in unison? And was its first chord a G? Can't wait to see the finished product. Maybe one of these days we can have a Brock OM hootenany at Targhee Bluegrass!

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-22-2012, 2:14am
It looks awesome 'in the white' - i'd be keeping it that way for the top but have the back & sides slightly darker - very distinctive. Chip,you're a lucky guy to have such a beauty coming your way - that's my shot of envy for today,:disbelief:
Ivan;)

Chip Booth
Aug-23-2012, 3:28pm
That's fantastic, Chip! I see you got the narrower neck like mine. Are you getting the G and D strings in octaves or strung in unison? And was its first chord a G? Can't wait to see the finished product. Maybe one of these days we can have a Brock OM hootenany at Targhee Bluegrass!

Hey Lindsey, I am having it strung unison. Of course it's first chord was a G, what else! My OM has the side wood from the same board as yours, and we know how good that looks. I missed Targhee again this year :crying: but will make it next year. Let's you and me and Ben and Sarah all get our OMs together there!

Ivan, I am having it finished in Fletcher's current red burst, similar to the F5 I photographed recently. This will be the first red OM and I am excited to see how it turns out. It should have some finish on it today, so hopefully I can get a look soon.

Linds
Aug-24-2012, 12:14am
Hey, Chip! I had to miss Targhee again this year, too. Makes me sad. But I'll have to work on my skills so I can keep up with you, Ben and Sarah for our "First Annual Epic OM Jam".

Can't wait to see that red finish. That's going to be spectacular!

Chip Booth
Aug-24-2012, 8:21pm
Getting closer! These are pretty bad pics, taken with my phone in the spray booth, but they give some indication of how things are progressing. The sides are as lovely as I knew they would be, but I was surprised at how nice the back is as well. The Engelmann spruce top has some really striking wide grain.

chubakkah
Aug-24-2012, 9:58pm
Dumb question, but do you have to choose between the unison/octave string configuration during construction, or is this just something you can change out whenever you want?

Chip Booth
Aug-25-2012, 5:36pm
The nut won't be perfect but you can switch to octave strings from unison without much trouble. I would start with unison.

Linds
Aug-28-2012, 8:32am
I love that red finish, Chip! You're so lucky that you get to watch yours being made. I'd love to come out and meet Fletch someday and see his shop.

Chip Booth
Sep-20-2012, 11:51am
I pick up the OM in a few hours. It's gonna be a long day!

mandopete
Sep-20-2012, 12:08pm
From the pictures above it appears he's building 4 at the same time - that's incredible! I never thought there would be so much interest in the octave mandolin.

Chip Booth
Sep-20-2012, 3:26pm
It's here, and it's everything I hoped it would be. It sounds as good as when I played it in the white, and looks fantastic. I will do a nice photoshoot for it soon, but here are a couple of very junky camera phone pics. Consider me happy and very busy for the rest of the day! :mandosmiley:

Cheryl Watson
Sep-20-2012, 3:44pm
Wow, Chip! That is perfectly gorgeous! (And I know you will post sound clips <hint-hint>

Linds
Sep-21-2012, 7:25pm
The red sunburst finish looks incredible! Congratulations, Chip!

Jake Wildwood
Sep-21-2012, 8:11pm
Agreed -- real classy turn-out on that'n!

mtucker
Sep-21-2012, 8:35pm
Lovely. Tequila sunrise!

Lawrence Smart
Sep-22-2012, 8:31am
can't wait to come over and play that thing!

Chip Booth
Oct-10-2012, 3:37pm
I finally had the chance to photograph my OM.

92598 92600

Fletcher's vine inlay

92596 92597

Wide grain Englemann spruce top

92599 92602

Flamey maple!

92603 92604

Beautiful sides and neck

92605 92606

Needless to say, this is one fine instrument! It is very powerful, crisp and clear with deep lows, sparkly highs, and great note separation.