PDA

View Full Version : Muted sunburst for Collings MF ordered

CeeCee_C
Aug-17-2012, 7:58pm
Hi All -

Just wanted to share the sunburst I requested for my newly ordered Collings MF.

The lightest color won't be any lighter than the center and the darkest color won't be any darker than the dark brown at the edges.

Opinions? (none too negative I hope.)

Paul Busman
Aug-17-2012, 8:00pm
Nice and subtle. I like it a lot.

George R. Lane
Aug-17-2012, 8:21pm
I am sure it will look great.
Here is my favorite

George R. Lane
Aug-17-2012, 8:23pm
And this would be my second favorite.

CeeCee_C
Aug-17-2012, 8:39pm
George -

I'm more partial to the coloring of the Gibson, not to say that they're not both beautiful instruments.

What exactly *is* the Gibson in the pic?

George R. Lane
Aug-17-2012, 9:11pm
Cee Cee,
That is John Reiscman's Feb 18, 1924 Lloyd Loar. By the way I got to play it a few years ago when he and the Jay Birds played a concert here in Montana.

Jake Wildwood
Aug-17-2012, 9:20pm
CC: So basically similar in color to the old redburst Gibs? Nice!

CeeCee_C
Aug-17-2012, 9:31pm
I don't think I've ever heard the term "redburst" much less seen an instrument so described. Google, here I come!

CeeCee_C
Aug-17-2012, 9:34pm
Google *IS* a truly amazing resource. I think you'll see that the center is only slightly reddish. It's more brown than red, whereas the instruments I found on Google described as redburst were *REALLY* red. So I'm not sure I see this sunburst being "redburst-y".

'Course everyone's monitor is a little different so YMMV.

Jake Wildwood
Aug-17-2012, 11:34pm
Sorry, if you Google redburst you get a lot of cherry red elec guitars. I meant something more like on an F-2....

http://www.china2galway.com/1918%20gibsonF2%20kieron.jpg

pjlama
Aug-18-2012, 12:42am
You gotta go with what you like. I prefer more contrast but a well done burst, subtle or otherwise is what's important. The Collings stuff is always good so you're safe.

Connor
Aug-18-2012, 5:55am
I agree with PJ - go with what you like. I have owned a few mandolins with a dark burst, and wanted a lighter one - so the wood was more of a part of the view. If the wood is beautiful, I hate to paint over it. Yes, it's not "traditional" but it makes me smile.

For what it's worth, a friend had a guitar made with a green to yellow burst for the Oregon Ducks. Not my cup of tea, but he's ecstatic about it.

jmagill
Aug-18-2012, 8:04am
I think one's tastes in sunbursts are very personal (at least mine are), and the difference between awful and awesome can be fairly subtle.

For example, I like sunbursts that are red or brown with no yellow. Here's one from my 'awful' end of the scale:

Here's a brown, kind of 'leather'-looking burst I like:

Here's another, darker brown example with a bit more red in it that I think looks great:

Here's a nice lighter reddish-brown one:

And here's a Photoshop mockup of the kind of burst (with no yellow!) I'm hoping for on my new Holst commission:

All very personal choices and your opinions may be quite otherwise, so, to the OP: stick to what you think looks nice, no matter what others may say, and be happy with your new mando!

CeeCee_C
Aug-18-2012, 10:09am
Jim -

My aesthetic sensibilities on this agree with yours 100%. In fact, I'd like to send the Photoshop-ed pic to the dealer placing the order for me, if that's ok with you.

Charles E.
Aug-18-2012, 12:51pm
Cee-Cee, looks good.

I never understood burst's like this.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Gibson-Limited-Edition-Master-Model-Adam-Steffey-Signature-F-5-mandolin-/310421395951?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48468e99ef

It might be a fine mandolin but too dark for my taste.

CeeCee_C
Aug-18-2012, 4:50pm
Charley -

Yeah... I don't get that one either. Perhaps it was a case of "It was late and I was tired." (from The Far Side, which I miss.)

GKWilson
Aug-18-2012, 11:22pm
Hi C.C. I think anything you decide Collings will do a beautiful job and you will be very happy. I like mine a little on the dark side.
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=81948&d=1328397473
I also love John Reischman's Loar. I got to hold it this February on it's 88th birthday.
I didn't know whether to play it or run with it and not look back. By the time I caught my breath he took it back and I couldn't do either.
Gary

lauri Girouard
Aug-19-2012, 7:59am
Cee Cee, I like what you picked for your burst. Congrats on the new mando!

jmagill
Aug-19-2012, 12:55pm
Jim -

My aesthetic sensibilities on this agree with yours 100%. In fact, I'd like to send the Photoshop-ed pic to the dealer placing the order for me, if that's ok with you.

Fine with me.

Jim

GKWilson
Aug-19-2012, 2:25pm
jim and c.c. I also like the 'leather-looking burst' posted above. I believe I played that very mandolin last Winter.
That is unless A. Lawrence Smart also made it's twin brother. It was for sale in Italy last year and was in our classifieds twice.
I really suffered a bad case of MAS on that one. But, I was waiting for the above commissioned mandolin. And like the rest of you passed. Then, a few months later I ran into the guy who did buy it. I played many 5 digit mandolins that week. And the Smart was and still is the finest F I've ever played. IMHO.
Gary

CeeCee_C
Aug-20-2012, 9:07am
Jake -

You're right -

The F2 is definitely more to my liking than the electric guitar redburst that you and I found through Google.

Although I have a Les Paul that's done in an almost transparent dark red (like the original SG color) that really lets the grain of the wood show through and it's gorgeous too, but very different.

BTW, my first instrument build will be a Les Paul styled e-mando. I'm thinking of calling it a Less Paul. Think Gibson will object if I call it a Fib-some Less Paul?