PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some info on beetle back mandolin

RayMan7
Aug-14-2012, 2:34pm
Well I`ve been looking for a beetle back mandolin for a while and once I saw this one it was exactly what I was looking for, not sure why I just really like it. Anyways I bought it for the $88 which may be a bit much but hey being in Canada dont have much options lol. Its in the mail and now just wondering if anyone knows any info on it? Mainly the age and where it was made and possibly make, I dont mind much just good to know abit about it you know. ;)
Heres the ebay link with some pics, havent got it yet so no pics of my own, hope thats alright
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150858627736&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_500wt_969

RayMan7
Aug-14-2012, 2:36pm
And yes I do know its rough and some cracks but that just makes it more cool to me :)

JeffD
Aug-14-2012, 2:44pm
That is a cool looking instrument.

I am worried about the crack on the front though.

I would get a knowledgeable person to look it over. If it is determined to be playable, be sure to only string it up with ultra light strings. If not, you are not out a huge amount of money and it sure is a looker.

I love the peacock.

I hope, at the very least, that it invigorates your interest in bowlback mandolins, which are rippin good fun.

Jim Garber
Aug-15-2012, 8:50am
I think you did quite well on the price, tho expect to spend about 2-3 times what you paid to make it playable. It would certainly not string it up as-is when you get it but get it to a luthier ASAP, unless, of course, you plan on doing the work yourself.

I like the way it looks. Nice ornamentation but not too over the top. I like the peacock inlay and the bowl looks real nice with that flamed maple

It looks like an Italian made instrument in general tho I am not sure about that volute on the back of the neck. That is a little different from the standard Naples-made mandolins.

The topcracks should not be a real problem and most competent luthiers should be able to handle them. I can't tell from the photos if the bowl has any separations. That, of course, would also have to addressed.

The bridge looks pretty unusable as-is but could possibly be fixed. It loooks like it should be the std bone insert type with the slots in the ebony base. Or you could just have a repro one made. Dave Hynds (http://www.mandolinluthier.com/) in France can probably make you a nice repro at a reasonable price. You can see examples of various bridges on Dave's site.

I see you are in BC. Are you planning to have it worked on by a luthier and do you have one in mind? Are you anywhere near Victoria? I am not sure if he is doing restorations, but Neil Rusell (http://www.celticcrossinstruments.com/) is there. There was also another luthier whose name escapes me who does work on these and I believe that he is in Victoria as well. He was selling off quite a few old mandolins in various states of disrepair a few years ago. I prob have his contact info at home.

Those look like bone buttons on those tuners. I don't know whether you can find a replacement button but i suppose you could get a plastic one that might not match but would make the mandolin tuneable.

Hopefully the issues apparent in the photos are all that it needs. The worst would be needing a neck reset. That might cost something but at least you did not pay a lot of money for it and if you have the cash for the restoration, I think it could be a nice mandolin.
Let us know when it arrives.

RayMan7
Aug-16-2012, 4:26pm
Just the info I needed, cant thank you guys enough. And now it seems much nicer than when I first thought, really happy its probably Italian, and thats nice to hear about the price, not gonna resale it but nice to know. And dont worry deffinately not gonna string it till those cracks are fixed, if it is like in pics then I could probably do it myself, but will take it to a luthier to check it over. Not too far from Victoria but the trip will cost twice as much as the mandolin, and I heard theres a pretty good guy that can fix em hear. Actually you know looks like the tuners arent matching, looks like the missing side might be plastic, so bet its not hard to find one to fit. Is that volute on the neck unique or something? Funny because thats actually one of the things I liked about it.
Should be here soon, getting stoked too, will let you guys know how it is and some pics, hoping the necks alright

RayMan7
Aug-16-2012, 4:34pm
...and it sure is a looker.

I love the peacock.

I hope, at the very least, that it invigorates your interest in bowlback mandolins, which are rippin good fun.

You bet! What actually got me playing mandolin was piecing together my uncles plywood bowback when I was 14, ever since I just loved mandolins and bowlbacks most, but never been able to get one till now, and this one is exactly what I was liking, colour, maple on the back, peacock, its unique...and luckily had the money lol