PDA

View Full Version : L&H American Conservatory bowlback

paulbaker55
Aug-09-2012, 3:29pm
My dad received this from an uncle circa 1940. I've had it cleaned, adjusted, sealed, and restrung. I've signed up for lessons beginning in September. :)

brunello97
Aug-09-2012, 3:37pm
Good for you, Paul. That sounds great. Not sure how much you know on the background of your mandolin..but L+H American Conservatory was the company's 'second line' behind their Washburn label, but still featured excellent wood and craft. Many of them seem the equal or better than the Washburns. You have a very nice instrument to begin with, even better given the family history.

Forgive me for an intrusive question. What type of strings did you have put on it? Only the very lightest gauge strings should be used on these old bowl back mandolins. I don't mean to sound pedantic but one should be very careful with these. Hopefully the person setting it up for you was aware of this. We have all seen many of these that have had their necks bent out of position by having modern strings that were too heavy gauge for them. It is worth double-checking to make sure this has another 72+ of life for you.

Welcome to the Mandolin Cafe, by the way.

Mick

paulbaker55
Aug-09-2012, 9:02pm
Thanks for the info! The strings are Elixir Light .010 - .034

paulbaker55
Aug-10-2012, 9:37am

JEStanek
Aug-10-2012, 10:28am
It looks great!

Jamie

JeffD
Aug-10-2012, 12:52pm
Paul you are on your way to awesome quantities of great fun.