PDA

View Full Version : First attempt and nut problem

Jan Ellefsen
Jan-04-2005, 3:37pm
I just finished my first F5 Stew-Mac kit and though it’s not perfect it’s better than I had expected .(I just posted some pictures on the “Post a picture of your mandolin”) I learned a lot and I think it was a good idea to start with a kit and think I will do another before trying to build one from scratch. First of all because being aware of some of the problems that might arise in the finishing stages, may help to avoid at least some of them. Some advice and comments to myself and other aspiring first timers:

1. Do it, it’s fun
2. Be patient and take time to think about tools you may need (in a hurry) every time you are going to start on a new process.
3. Do the routing for the binding in stages to avoid tearing out too much wood
4. Use shellack instead of hide glue as a sealer on the top before staining.
5. Don’t use old shellack and be careful not to put it on to thick in the beginning. (The top was perfect when I left for the Mandolin Symposium, but the finish had cracked all over when I came back, so I had to take it all off and start from the beginning)
6. I was very disappointed by the sound the first minutes after stringing up, but after half an hour or so of playing it had changed so much it was incredible. That is an experience that can keep you happy for a long time.

I still have one problem though, and I think it has to do with the nut. One of the A strings and one of the E strings sound a little “muffled” on the upstroke compared to the downstroke (open strings) Maybe someone know a good way to fix this.
And to all the builders out there, always willing to share their knowledge: Thank you!!!!!!

Michael Lewis
Jan-05-2005, 1:25am
It sounds like the string slots aren't well shaped. They need to support the string right to the edge of the nut. Check out the section on making a nut on Frank Ford's site, frets.com It shows a very good and easily understood method for making a nut.

Luthier
Jan-05-2005, 8:03am
I always try and make the string slot on an angle so that the breaking edge or highest point is at the edge of the nut.

Don

Frank Ford
Jan-05-2005, 10:08am
That's right - if one string in the pair sounds muffled or buzzy in open position, it's almost always the configuration of the string slot in either the bridge or nut. Check out this page on nuts:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/Nuts/nuts3.html

Yonkle
Jan-05-2005, 11:04am
Good job, saw your pic's on the other thread. I had the same problem with the nut on all 3 mandolins. It is just the angle of the slot or the depth. Just keep playing with it until it is right. I had to make 3 different nuts on my #3 mandolin before I was pleased. Not so much for bad sound, but more for string spacing.I wish I had a tool/guide for this. I guess I would make a guide if I did a lot of building, instead I just copy the spacing off the blueprints and try to match it to the nut.
My #2 mandolin the spacing came out perfect and slots and height are great. I had little trouble with it. But on #1 and #3 I had problems. On #1 I just need to angle the slot a little on a couple strings and get the height even. On #3 I did everything wrong and took the nut out and re-did it 3rd time it is fine. Don't settle for less. if the nut is not right keep messing with it until you are happy. You can also make a mixture or super glue and bone dust to fill in the slot and re=do it, I did not want to do this on #3 that is why I did 3 nuts until it was right.
It is amazing out of all the things that can go wrong in building a mandolin and all the things that one must do to make a mandolin sound/look nice,weeks and months of work. Then the most simple little task of all, (the nut) a tiny piece of bone can cause just headaches and make or break the sound! Just be glad it is fixable and not one of the building area's where you only get "one shot" to to it right! Frets.com has a area on nuts that may help you too>

Jan Ellefsen
Jan-05-2005, 4:15pm
Thanks for the good advice to all of you. The nut is fixed and working like it should, now I only have to find a way to get my own “nut” in working order. I have been all over Frank’s site many times when I was working on the mandolin, and I know I have read that article at least once before. I will also be a steady reader in the future while I am building up the courage to start restoring a white “23 Gibson A3 I bought at a garage sale here in Oslo. It has opened up at the sides and the back is a little dented, but there are no cracks anywhere, so in the near future I will warm up my glue pot again.
By the way I was lucky enough to get a chance to try one of Michael’s great mandolins when I went over to the Symposium last year and shared accommodations with Scott Gates and his parents. Gave me an idea of what is possible and where I am on this interesting journey.