PDA

View Full Version : An Introduction as a new member of the Cafe!

rockabilly69
Aug-07-2012, 3:21pm
Hi my name is Daniel Weldon and I just wanted to introduce myself. I am primarily a guitarist, but on every CD I've ever record (4), I always try to include a few mandolin pieces. No, there not Bluegrass tunes, and I can't play to that level anyway, but they are songs incorporate the mandolin as a featured instrument. I'm a professional musician doing more gigs than I can count, and like to change it up a bit, so I started introducing these mandolin oriented songs into my live shows. I've also taught a few side musicians how to play the mandolin specifically for my songs when I'm playing in duet or band formats.

Recently I just started playing some of my mandolin songs as solo pieces, so I thought I could use a higher quality American-made mandolin that was setup specifically for live work. That's when I started checking out the Cafe. I was interested in buying the best mandolin that I could find under $2000, and that would include an installed pickup. So I lurked here a while, and read as many posts as could, to learn as much as I could. Well, with your help, I bought a Breedlove American FF, with a factory installed LR Baggs Radius. I've had it for a few weeks now and already have about 10 gigs on. To say the least I'm very happy. So thank you. I also own a Bernard Allen 2 point oval sound hole mandolin (which I had no interest in modifying for live play as I would just like to keep it for recording), and a cheap Epiphone MM50 that I modified with an Weber Tailpiece, LR Baggs Radius, and a Cumberland ebony bridge (I learned about these mods here at the Cafe too). It was the Epiphone, after the mods, that got me into the mood for buying a quality mando. So thanks for that too. Unlike a lot of folks here, I am done buying mandolins as the Breedlove does exactly what I want it to do! Once again thanks for the help!!!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/rockabilly69/Facebook/June%207%202011/547849_10151089777932520_161633853_n.jpg

Here's one of my mando songs (it was recorded with my Bernard Allen 2 point)...
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7505686

Jared Heddinger
Aug-07-2012, 3:28pm
Your music sounds amazing! Keep up the good work!

billhay4
Aug-07-2012, 4:42pm
Nice stuff!
Bill

JEStanek
Aug-07-2012, 9:23pm
Welcome to the Cafe!

Jamie

rockabilly69
Aug-07-2012, 11:53pm
Thank you for welcoming me to the group.

pjlama
Aug-08-2012, 12:06am
Welcome aboard! Please contribute to help all of us along as well and for future lurkers.

Fstpicker
Aug-08-2012, 12:16am
A very nice recording there. Breedlove mandolins are some great USA made mandolins, that's for sure. You made a wise choice, especially if you're not necessarily using it for Bluegrass, because it seems to fit a broader range of styles than just one. The one or two I've played with excellent sounding and the quality is right up there with the best.

Enjoy it often.

Jeff

mehrsam
Aug-08-2012, 8:07am
Love it! You've got a great sound, Daniel. Welcome to the Cafe.

rockabilly69
Aug-09-2012, 2:30am
A very nice recording there. Breedlove mandolins are some great USA made mandolins, that's for sure. You made a wise choice, especially if you're not necessarily using it for Bluegrass, because it seems to fit a broader range of styles than just one. The one or two I've played with excellent sounding and the quality is right up there with the best.

Enjoy it often.

Jeff Jeff, when I was lurking, that was statement I saw most! That they weren't traditional bluegrass instruments but good nontheless. I like it for what it is, and definately will be able to make music with it.

Once again thanks for all the nice welcomes!

Daniel

Ben Milne
Aug-09-2012, 2:45am
I am done buying mandolins

Nice mandolin, but yeh, good luck with that.

Paul Statman
Aug-10-2012, 11:32pm
Welcome to the 'cafe! I like the song you linked, too.

rockabilly69
Aug-13-2012, 2:35am
Nice mandolin, but yeh, good luck with that.

Thanks for the vote of confidence:) But I already own a great recording mandolin, and the Breedlove
does just what I need to do in a live performance situation. I am dedicated to the idea that I would
rather be practicing my songs, and learning to get the best tone possible out of what I have, than
spending so much time chasing down the holy grail instrument. I went through that with guitars
and resonators, and felt that I spent a ridiculous amount of precious of time in the search.

rockabilly69
Aug-13-2012, 2:36am
Welcome to the 'cafe! I like the song you linked, too.

Thank You, Mandopixie:)