PDA

View Full Version : Mandolinist Joe Walsh of the Gibson Brothers

JohnSaroyan
Aug-06-2012, 7:41am
Fourth in my five-part series (http://jimsrootsandblues.com/john-saroyan/mandolinist-joe-walsh/) about the Gibson Brothers Band.

mandopete
Aug-06-2012, 12:30pm
Excellent! Thanks for recognizing one the best mandolin players performing today. I noticed that you mention he plays a Gilchrist A-style, but I believe he used his Lloyd Laplant F-style for most (if not all) of the music on Sweet Loam. He also has a previous recording called Saturday Night Waltz that's worth checking out.

Rob Fowler
Aug-06-2012, 3:34pm
Excellent! Thanks for recognizing one the best mandolin players performing today. I noticed that you mention he plays a Gilchrist A-style, but I believe he used his Lloyd Laplant F-style for most (if not all) of the music on Sweet Loam. He also has a previous recording called Saturday Night Waltz that's worth checking out.

I asked Joe about "Sweet Loam" and, yes, he played his Laplant for the whole of the album. He got the Gil after that album.

JohnSaroyan
Aug-07-2012, 8:20pm
The LaPlant was also played on Ring the Bell and Help My Brother. I have probably watched over 40 videos on YouTube of Joe playing the Gilchrist and am really impressed by how its sound comes through so well despite the diversity of sound systems and recording devices. I am very excited to hear it recorded professionally on the next Gibson Brothers, Clayton Campbell or other Joe Walsh project. Steve wrote to me that the original owner was in Germany. I'd be curious to know if George G approached the original owner or vice versa. I know this will sound trite to folks on this forum, but that is a very special little box to my ear.

JohnSaroyan
Aug-08-2012, 6:01am
Thank You! I love connecting with other folks who love Joe's playing. The solo albums are beautiful.

I created a YouTube playlist of Joe's playing (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2D01BCCA4BCDF484&feature=mh_lolz). Please check it out. I also reviewed Sweet Loam (http://jimsrootsandblues.com/john-saroyan/sweet-loam/) about a year ago.

greg_tsam
Aug-08-2012, 8:06am
I caught Joe's set at the last Argyle BG fest near Dallas. Great stuff. He's a member on here I'm pretty sure.

mandopete
Aug-08-2012, 9:47am
I created a YouTube playlist of Joe's playing (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2D01BCCA4BCDF484&feature=mh_lolz). Please check it out.

Thanks for that! Those videos of him playing with Psychograss are off the hook. The mere fact that he could step in and fill Mike Marshall's spot in that band is a testament to his talent as a musician. I am also a big fan of both his singing and song selection. There are some really nice songs on Sweet Loam and it's not all about the mandolin.

Rob Fowler
Aug-08-2012, 1:49pm
I created a YouTube playlist of Joe's playing (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2D01BCCA4BCDF484&feature=mh_lolz). Please check it out. I also reviewed Sweet Loam (http://jimsrootsandblues.com/john-saroyan/sweet-loam/) about a year ago.

Hi John, Thanks for making that playlist for Joe! I've watched a bunch of them already. I haven't done it before so I was wondering if it's possible to add videos to somebody else's playlist. There's some others hat I've seen on youtube that definitely deserve being included on there. I think Joe Walsh is one of my favorite contemporary mandolin players today. Style and grace with just the right amount of notes and never too many just because he can.

JohnSaroyan
Aug-08-2012, 10:05pm
Rob,
Would you message me the links so I can add? In the meantime I will take a look at the edit settings for playlists tomorrow and try to get an answer to your question. You can message me here or at manhattanvalleyramblers@gmail.com
Thanks!

JohnSaroyan
Aug-08-2012, 10:09pm
Yes, yes and yes! What did you think of how he stepped into Lonesome Moonlight Waltz at Mando Mania? To me that was just atmospheric.

Rob Fowler
Aug-09-2012, 1:03am
Rob,
Would you message me the links so I can add? In the meantime I will take a look at the edit settings for playlists tomorrow and try to get an answer to your question. You can message me here or at manhattanvalleyramblers@gmail.com
Thanks!

Will do that tomorrow, John. Thanks!

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-11-2012, 5:55am
I've been listening a lot to Joe Walsh ever since i heard him guesting on Beck Buller's CD "Rest My Weary Feet".There was also an MP3 somewhere on the 'Cafe listings that i liked as well. That guy's a really tasty player & his work with the Gibson Brothers is exemplary.He's a clean picker,doesn't overdo the 'twiddly bits' & sticks close to the melody - very much like me as a matter of fact !!,
Ivan:grin::redface:

JohnSaroyan
Aug-11-2012, 6:36am
Ivan, will definitely check those recordings out and yours too!

JohnSaroyan
Aug-11-2012, 6:38am
Rob, only the creator of the playlist can add or edit as far as I can tell. But happy to add the links you send. Enjoy the weekend.

kaybone
Aug-14-2012, 9:16am
Wow! "Life's been good to him so far" (Seriously, though he's a great player thanks for posting the videos)

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-15-2012, 2:12am
Quote - "Life's been good to him so far".Yes,i almost made the mistake in thinking one was 'the other'. Joe Walsh of the Eagles,
the 'Clown Prince of Country Rock',is also one of my favourite musicians - 'Eagles' being my favourite band in any genre ever,
Ivan

John Adrihan
Aug-15-2012, 7:35am
I played with Joe two Christmas's ago here in Duluth at a local jam. That Gilchrist is amazing.

Earl Gamage
Aug-15-2012, 9:07am
I've seen him play live and it's impressive how his playing adds to the band and makes it better. As Ivan says, he can keep it simple and easy. He's a great player.

doc holiday
Aug-15-2012, 11:01am
Check out some great duets/trios w/ guitarist Courtney Hartman and fiddler Tashina Claridge. Search "Joe Walsh/ Joe Val"....they play Billy in the Lowground & St Anne's Reel. I don't have access to the links at the moment, but they are well worth viewing.

William Smith
Aug-15-2012, 11:13am
I just seen the Gibson Brothers last week at the Warren County Fair,PA,And was real impressed with Joes' mando pickin,,Very clean and tastefull,,he could make that Gil sing thats for sure!,,Awesome playing on Happy Sunnyside of Life,,,the whole gig was great but that tune stood out....