PDA

View Full Version : If curiosity touches down safely tonight

OldSausage
Aug-05-2012, 7:39pm
I will play some mandolin.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html

Astro
Aug-05-2012, 7:50pm
Golly David, I didn't know you were up there.

Play loud.

:)

Bernie Daniel
Aug-05-2012, 8:04pm
Yes play REAL hard as the atmospheric pressure is less than 0.005 psi (about 1/3000 th) that of earth and its mostly carbon dioxide with a little methane thrown in for color! :mandosmiley:

I be listening through my telescope tonight for you.

Astro
Aug-05-2012, 8:17pm
Yikes, hope he brought a cloths pin for a nose pin.

Ed Goist
Aug-05-2012, 8:30pm
e-mando, of course...

FpvWZOvzums

brunello97
Aug-05-2012, 8:42pm
Here's Ziggy with mando content, courtesy my AusTex GourdBuds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNvRrLekb_s

Mick

OldSausage
Aug-05-2012, 9:03pm
I was thinking more along these lines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQyzBSt0zLQ

journeybear
Aug-05-2012, 9:26pm
Golly David, I didn't know you were up there.

More out there, perhaps ... :whistling:

They will probably find, among other things, that much as Bernie Taupin predicted long ago, Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids; in fact, it's cold as hell.

Astro
Aug-05-2012, 10:11pm
And there's no one there to raise them , if you did.

OldSausage
Aug-06-2012, 12:53am
Landed safely in Gale Crater. Don't forget, it really is there to look for signs of life on Mars. We should all be proud.

Playing my mandolin now.

shortymack
Aug-06-2012, 1:06am
I just watched it live on a JPL feed. I grew up down the street from there and now am just about 80 miles away. The 'little city' must be proud of their achievement. So...... Is there life on Mars? Who knows...Does it really matter? Not really.....Is it a remarkable technological accomplishment to land a car sized nuclear robot safely? Absolutely. Very cool indeed.

Now if I only had a nice mando to play along with you.

OldSausage
Aug-06-2012, 7:58am
Well, it matters to me.

Steve Ostrander
Aug-06-2012, 8:27am
I grew up down the street from there and now am just about 80 miles away.

You grew up on Mars?:)

Randi Gormley
Aug-06-2012, 8:47am
I'm proud to say that my dad was from Mars, although he was from the one in Pennsylvania. I've always been fascinated by space and space travel (my kids always said I was from another planet anyway) so I've been following this with interest. We got out the Arnold version of "Total Recall" and I couldn't help wondering if the natives played mandolin back in their bunkers somewhere ...

billkilpatrick
Aug-06-2012, 9:20am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oj-CSRwDgg

OldSausage
Aug-06-2012, 10:17am
It's a nice morning on Mars (actually I think this was probably sunset).

journeybear
Aug-06-2012, 10:25am
Sure it matters. One of the all-time top questions is, "Is there also life out there, somewhere?" Mars is a natural second step (the moon being the first). There are other places in the universe which are much more hospitable to life as we know it, but they are much farther away. And remember, there is always the possibility that life could exist in other forms, far different from that to which we are accustomed. (Possibly ones which have a smoother approah to grammar.) Also, the Mars mission includes looking for signs of life from the past, not just the present. That may well be more likely.

Dale Ludewig
Aug-06-2012, 11:37am
What if they find traces of a banjo up/out there?

shortymack
Aug-06-2012, 11:42am
THEN it will matter. :))

...and yea Im from Mars, the Mojave Desert. That pic looks like it was taken from my back yard. :grin:

Eric Foulke
Aug-06-2012, 11:52am
What if they find traces of a banjo up/out there?

That would mean there is life, but no intelligence. :grin:

Pete Summers
Aug-06-2012, 4:39pm
That would mean there is life, but no intelligence. :grin:
You guys.

Willie Poole
Aug-06-2012, 9:36pm
For years I thought I was going to be an astronaught....My school teacher kept telling me and my mother that I was "taking up space"