PDA

View Full Version : Flatiron-Gibson Warranty work?

jswag
Aug-01-2012, 7:07pm
Well, had this posted under builders and repair, got no response. Sorry if you already saw it, but I will ask the question once more; Anyone ever had Gibson honor a Flatiron warranty repair?
I'm the original owner of a Late 80's Flatiron mandola, in need of (probably) a neck reset.
I've got all my paper work. I thought someone here on the forum mentioned getting Gibson to cover repair work on an 80s Flatiron.
I did email Gibson (7/29), no response yet.
Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Thanks
Jeff

EdSherry
Aug-01-2012, 7:14pm
In my (admittedly limited) experience, neck resets are part of the "normal aging process" of instruments and are not covered by the factory warranty. That is certainly true for Martin and neck resets on older Martins. There was no factory defect (not even a latent one) when the instrument left the factory, therefore no warranty claim that Martin will honor. That said, I don't know Gibson's policy re the pre-Gibson Flatiron instruments.

GTison
Aug-01-2012, 8:40pm
I think Gibson would cover it. They bought the Flatiron co. so, warranty work usually goes with it. Neck sets on mandolins are not in my opinion part of the aging process or maintenance as they are on Martin guitars.