PDA

View Full Version : Cid mandolins

Scottish Gas
Aug-01-2012, 1:33pm
Anyone ever heard of them?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-old-german-roundhole-A-style-Bluegrass-Mandolin-vintage-/300750734243?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46062403a3

The item on sale here looks lovely but I've never head of them & searches reveal very little info. Thinking it may be worth a £200 gamble - any thoughts?

Jim Garber
Aug-01-2012, 2:53pm
No direct experience but IIRC someone bought a bowlback by the same company on eBay Germany a few months ago. They posted on these forums but, for some reason, a search for a three-letter word does not work for me.

jaycat
Aug-01-2012, 2:55pm
Not sure I approve of the "brazen tuners."

brunello97
Aug-01-2012, 3:24pm
Jim is right, "El" Cid mandolins have come up for conversation a few times here, but the discussions can be tricky to turn up.

I did a search for "Schuster Markneukirchen" and a few hits come up. Markneukirchen being a center of German instrument production. "Gebrüder Schuster" means the Schuster Brothers, I believe. They made a lot of different instruments and styles, apparently and eclectic copies or, no doubt, 'improvements' on popular mandolins were produced.

Apparently the Schuster company is still in business. Our friend, Victor, uses a bass bow made by them.

Schuster "Cid" bowlback (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?83262-Early-Italian-(-)-Flatback&highlight=Schuster+Markneukirchen)

Mick

Jim Garber
Aug-01-2012, 3:55pm
Thanks, Mick for the clue as to where this was. Actually more specific link starts on page two (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?83262-Early-Italian-%28-%29-Flatback/page2) of Mick's link.

The sources uncovered look much older than the flatback on eBay Germany that the OP references.

Here are some pics for reference.

brunello97
Aug-01-2012, 5:22pm
Plami's link on that page to a German 'rock guitar' site has some images of Schuster guitar which looks like it may be closer in era to the OPs mandolin.

Schlaggittaren Schuster (http://www.schlaggitarren.de/home.php?text=hersteller&kenn=41)

Check out the author's curious proposition of the source of the Cid moniker.

From shoemakers to mandolin makers. Since these folks have been at it so long I wonder if a more recent catalog might show up some where. In looking, I found a link to a Schuster mandolin for which bore a striking resemblance to the Ersatz-Embergher I had a few years ago, which bore the label of a music shop in Bremen.

Mick

dcoventry
Aug-01-2012, 5:44pm
A Cid mandolin? ACid mandolin? ACID mandolin?

Just had to comment.

Jim Garber
Aug-02-2012, 9:50am
Check out the author's curious proposition of the source of the Cid moniker.

Very curious indeed!

Ich versuche schon sehr lange dahinter zu kommen was „Cid“ bedeutet oder ob es eine Abkürzung für etwas oder jemanden ist!

Ich habe viel gerätzelt, kombiniert und ausprobiert und jetzt habe ich eine Theorie!

Es gibt die berühmte Gitarren- und Mandolinenbauer Familie CALACE aus Neapel in Italien.
Die Firma wurde 1825 von Nicola Calace I gegründet. Er war Gitarrenmacher und lebte in Pignola / Procida.

Pro“Cid“a ist wirklich das einzige was ich finden konnte das irgendwie passt!

Wie gesagt eine Theorie!

----------------

I've been trying very long to figure it out what "Cid" means or whether it is an abbreviation for something or someone!

I have a lot gets separated, combined and tried and now I have a theory!

There is the famous guitar and mandolin family of farmers Calace from Naples in Italy.
The company was founded in 1825 by Nicola I. Calace. He was a guitar maker and lived in Pignola / Procida.

Pro "Cid" a is really the only thing I could find the kind of attention!

As I said a theory!

OldGus
Aug-02-2012, 10:37am
...Apparently the Schuster company is still in business...

My Vana has a Schuster case so apparently they were in business as of 2009. I'll venture to say I think the "Cid" would be worth it. A lot of builders sink into obscurity, it doesn't mean they made bad stuff. The woods on it look really good, I see a ton of silking to that maple back. The finish and craftsmanship look good. I might ask about the bracing. I remember seeing a German two point from about 1934 that I held off from on Ebay go for about $800 and I saw the feedback where they buyer said it had become their favorite mandolin. It looked really good. There is a repaired crack on this one but they said it was well repaired and no case. Hopefully they will pack it well before it is shipped. You might want to ask about the center seam on the back to make sure it has not separated.

brunello97
Aug-02-2012, 11:05am
I agree, it is not a bad looking mandolin, and the BIN price is reasonable. I don't have the eyes to tell whether this is a pressed or pressed top which might tip the scales on $$/quality. In either case,though, it seems like more than a one-off and may have been part of a 'line'. An interesting proposition to copy a Gibson A yet keep a slotted headstock--and a zero fret. I know for some here they associate the zero fret with low-quality imports, but I wonder if that is the case here. I like the sound of them and would be interested in hearing it on a carved top. (Not that I will be bidding on this…) If, it sells then hopefully to a Cafe member from across the way who might fill us in.

Mick

OldGus
Aug-02-2012, 12:42pm
I think the zero fret is common on many vintage German instruments good or bad. I know a lot of quality Hofner guitars had them...

Jim Garber
Aug-02-2012, 1:43pm
There is nothing wrong with a zero-fret esp if it is done right. We in North America are somewhat prejudiced since, as Mick noted, many cheap imports are made with them. Some folks just don't like the way they look.