PDA

View Full Version : F Style: Protecting the bottom point from wear?

Hobo
Jul-28-2012, 4:37pm
Looking for ideas. I have a new Eastman MD515 that I've been playing for a couple of weeks. I've noticed a lightening of the finish right at the bottom point where it rests on my right leg while playing. I think the pressure from supporting the instrument at this point is wearing into the finish. The MD515 has no binding on the points – it's just wood. It's not too bad right now, but I hate for it to get worse. Is there a way to protect it from further wear? I thought a small piece of black electricians tape may protect it. What do you think?

QCS
Jul-28-2012, 5:08pm
There is a clear plastic material that some use for pick guard applications. Kind of a peel and stick thing you can cut in patterns to fit. It might work. I would be more concerned though with the adhesive left behind should it fail. I vote for leaving it alone to age gracefully, knowing it got all it's wart's and blemishes from being played by you. Think of it as being distressed, you are adding a little bit of yourself every day. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Elliot Luber
Jul-28-2012, 5:21pm
That's not wear, that's mojo.

Buck
Jul-28-2012, 5:52pm
A good instrument ought to show some honest wear.

Charles E.
Jul-28-2012, 6:06pm
You can get it touched up with some color and a thin coat of finish put over it. We do it on violins all the time. A tiny piece of clear packing tape will protect also.

JFDilmando
Jul-28-2012, 7:44pm
If an instrument gets wear from honest playing, and not abuse.. and what you have here is good playing wear,.... love it for what it is...evidence that you are putting in the great hours of playing.

Ultimately, if your playing wear at the point really bums you out, you'll need to go to a fully bound instrument at some point.... there is a reason they put all that binding on the front AND the back...

I'm envious that you're playing so much !!!

Barry Platnick
Jul-28-2012, 8:02pm
That's not wear, that's mojo.

yup

Jim
Jul-28-2012, 9:17pm
patina

Tom Wright
Jul-28-2012, 9:24pm
Only fret wear is inevitable. Pickguards protect the top, armrests protect the side, and you can protect the points by using a strap even when sitting.

sunburst
Jul-28-2012, 10:17pm
Ultimately, if your playing wear at the point really bums you out, you'll need to go to a fully bound instrument at some point...

...or an A.

Fretbear
Jul-29-2012, 12:33am
Black electrician's tape is full of vinyl and chemicals in the adhesive that could gas-off and soften your finish. Low-tack painter's masking tape would be safer to use and you could blacken the tape with a marker. If you cut it carefully it could look like an ebony or horn point protector.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-29-2012, 3:07am
Wear like that after only 2 weeks is a bit much (IMHO). I have a friend who works in a large music store in Manchester UK where i live.They sell Eastman instruments & he has 2,a mandolin & a mandola. He's told me in the past that personally,he thinks that the Eastman finish is too soft. However,as long as it doesn't glue itself to your clothing,as Tom Wright says,use a strap to lift the mandolin off your leg. Wear is inevitable on all instruments whatever they are,but from what i've heard,the Eastmans wear just a bit too fast for some folk,
Ivan

Gerry Hastie
Jul-29-2012, 6:57am
In agreement with all the above I'll add that I think Eastman finishes do wear rapidly. My personal preference was enjoy all the personalisation it develops but if you don't want it - use a strap or place something soft between the mandolin and trouser leg material (I presume!) if you're anxious about the use of tapes/other coverage.

Johnny60
Jul-29-2012, 7:34am
I have an Eastman 505 and it has to be said that the finish is quite soft. I've had it for around 4 months and there are already several areas showing wear - mainly on corners edges, like the rear edge of the headstock. A couple of stray pick strikes and even a fingernail have left fair-sized marks too. It's all mojo, and I'm not that bothered as it all adds to the character. But, none of my other instruments in almost 40 years of playing (including a couple of nitro-finished guitars) have shown this kind of wear so fast.

No finish is bullet-proof, but I think that Eastman's is more fragile than most.

Hobo
Jul-29-2012, 1:09pm
Thanks for the comments, suggestions etc. – Very much appreciated.

I agree that wear is inevitable on any instrument, but I'm was surprised that after 2/3 weeks (maybe 2 hours playing a day). I agree the finish on this Eastman may be softer than others. I do use a strap and try to keep the pressure off my leg.

I'm enrolled in Mike Marshall's Bluegrass Academy, where he really stresses a proper playing position is planting the mandolin between the legs, with the left leg higher to angle the neck upwards. His recommended position is next to impossible for me because of my big gut and short legs. Alternately, I've been resting the bottom of the mandolin on my right leg – when not using the strap to take up the weight of the mandolin.

Anyways, thanks!!

Willie Poole
Jul-29-2012, 8:34pm
The most simple solution is to practice standing up....Thats where you will doing most of your playing if you are in or join a band....

Astro
Jul-30-2012, 11:40am
These aren't collector's instruments. They are meant to be played and sound good from the get go. If you wear it out you can get another one.

Wearing out a Mando is the sign of a good life's work.