Collings MF
Gibson F4
Loar LM-600

JeffD
Jul-26-2012, 1:17pm
What an awesome choice.

OldGus
Jul-26-2012, 3:47pm
Nice! What's your favorite? I'm guessing the F4 although those "The Loar's" are great value instruments. If it were me I might leave that one sitting out sometimes for a quick grab but always put the others back in their cases.

CavScout
Jul-26-2012, 4:17pm
My "The Loar" was the first of the group. It was a solid instrument to learn on and once in a while I do go back and wail on it. The Collings was next and it's excellent. Woody...good sharp bark to it. I play it most often. I have only had the F4 a few weeks and while it isn't as tight as the Collings its a joy to play. The Collings is a technically fine-tuned instrument but at the age of 96 the Gibson just has a ton of character. It's like firing an AR-15 vs. an M1 Garand, both great...just different. The F4 is definitely mellower than the Collings and it has more more sustain, a really big voice.

F-2 Dave
Jul-26-2012, 7:23pm
Nice herd. I especially like the F-4. Handel buttons are so cool.

Charles E.
Jul-26-2012, 8:46pm
Nice mandolins, seeing them lined up, I am struck by how the body of the Gibson F-4 is not as wide as the modern mandolins.

Boge Quinn
Aug-03-2012, 2:22pm
It's like firing an AR-15 vs. an M1 Garand, both great...just different.

Nice set! And a nice comparison as well, everybody should have an AR and a Garand.