PDA

View Full Version : The good news: just bought a 1924 Master Model labelled Gibson...

Schlegel
Jul-25-2012, 12:01am
The bad news:

It's just a Tenor Lute, not an F5, and needs total restoration to boot. Finish is off the top and back, black paint on sides and neck. Couple of cracks in back. Top looks good but for some wear in the middle of the f-holes. Peghead overlay gone, extra holes in peghead. Back is unglued some, but no real warping, I think.

It's not in the archives, but it's in the range of the serial numbers already there. Rough plan is to save up some cash, get it restored (maybe as an 8-string like the TL4 since it already needs a new overlay?). I'm hoping that being a Loar period f-hole mandola body will make it an interesting enough project I can get someone good to take on the project.

Though apparently not highly regarded, the FONs seem to indicate a maximum of 4 batches of these were ever made, so at least it has rarity on it's side. If there's some time tomorrow with good sunlight I'll get some better pics.

Anyone have experience of these? Or suggestions on a course for restoration; luthier suggestions would be welcome, too.

Mike Black
Jul-25-2012, 12:17am
Convert it to a mandola.

Here is one that Jamie Wiens did.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150328318776044.346609.647616043&type=3

allenhopkins
Jul-25-2012, 12:42am
I bought one about 18 months ago, for $1.7K with the original hardshell case. It's in pretty good original condition, missing the tailpiece cover and with an "aftermarket" screw hook added as a hanger (grrrr!).

It's a Loar design, but not a particularly successful one. Mine's a four-string as well, and it has a sweet, woody but quiet tone. I have mine tuned CGDA (tenor banjo), and while I don't play it all that much, I'm glad to have such a rara avis with its Lloyd L connection.

Enjoy yours. Even a genius isn't right all the time, and it does draw interest when I pull it out at a jam or sing-around.

Schlegel
Jul-25-2012, 9:09pm
Here's the back- it could be a lot worse, really: