PDA

View Full Version : Mandocrucian's Digest

AlanN
Jul-23-2012, 10:21am
Nice (almost-complete) set of Niles' rags in the classifieds - love those yellowed edges! Started out as Galactic Crossroads (I still have the T-shirt somewhere) for a couple of years, this publication was a goldmine for mando-related stuff - music, interviews, record reviews, commentary, tips, tricks, etc. Wider in scope and housed more information than MWN. Doyle, Akira, Gaudreau, Dave Pegg, Bobby Clark, Jim Watson, many others were all featured as interviewees, and a tune or two were included of their stylings, with notes and tab. John Baldry contributed a bluegrass column with terrific transcriptions of many hard-to-find solos and styles.

For the mandolin picker looking to broaden, I would suggest getting these.

Mike Bunting
Jul-23-2012, 12:50pm
I have nearly all of them too. I looked forward to receiving it every few months. Had a tee shirt too.

jim simpson
Jul-24-2012, 9:58pm
I miss my Mandocrucian T-shirt, I suspect it wouldn't fit as loose as it used to. Folks would ask me what a Mandocrucian was. The Rosicrucian's had a temple in Quakertown, Pa, up the road from an old bandmate. Mandocrucians and Rosicrucians, both mysterious!