Jul-22-2012, 5:41pm
Ricky Skaggs Distressed Master Model

George R. Lane
Jul-22-2012, 5:59pm
Sweeeeeet!!!!!

dcoventry
Jul-22-2012, 8:15pm
What is a Rsdmm?

Tisk, Charles! Go back and relearn mando acronyms 101!

red7flag
Jul-22-2012, 8:51pm
Since I still have the Stanley, I did an AB of the two. The coloring and style is both come from the Loar family. The difference in look is the Collings like 45 degree fret board cut (was special ordered by me) and the bound pick guard on the RSDMM. The set up on the RSDMM is outstanding and it plays like butter. The Stanley has a pretty generic ser up, a little higher. The necks are both asymmetric and feel the same. The tone on both especially mids and lows are very similar. Where the RSDMM really shines is the way it sings on the A and E strings. Just a beautiful voice. I was simply stunned. Both are great examples of instruments recreating that Loar feel, ambience and tone. You cannot go wrong with either. I am blessed.

f5loar
Jul-22-2012, 9:14pm
Who signed this one? Nice looking flame. Mildly distressed. Very nice indeed. These can sometimes satisfy MAS for several years.

red7flag
Jul-22-2012, 9:30pm
Ricky Skaggs signed it. Dave Harvey was I think from #6 on, if I remember properly, so was under his leadership.

Charles E.
Jul-23-2012, 6:21am
Tisk, Charles! Go back and relearn mando acronyms 101!

40 lashes with a wet noodle! As you can guess from my avitar I am not a Grasser. However that is one sweet mandolin.

Fretbear
Jul-23-2012, 6:46am
Interesting how they have replicated the rather primitive pearl cutting of that era of the Gibson logo, but have very slightly corrected what I have always found was a certain goofiness about it, especially on the G.

Wilbur James
Jul-23-2012, 7:27am
Who signed this one? Nice looking flame. Mildly distressed. Very nice indeed. These can sometimes satisfy MAS for several years.

I am sure many, many, many years, that sure is a looker, I bet it sounds wonderful!

Bob Clark
Jul-23-2012, 8:44am
Hi Red7Flag,

You sure do have some great instruments! I really like the understated distressing on this one. Sometimes distressing seems over the top to me, but this one is just beautiful. Thanks for the A-B description, too.

Best wishes,

Bob

HoGo
Jul-23-2012, 3:22pm
I can't resist... It surely is nice mandolin and plays as nice as is presented but...
I don't understand why they still use the one piece CNC cut headstock binding... that completely kills any vintage look.
And the straight f/b extension and the "eagle beak" in the scroll and also carving of the scroll is far away. They intentionally modify the logo to look more primitive and some tiny details but leave such major things in the modern "factory style".
IMHO, the crack pattern on the headstock doesn't look very convincing as well, too dense.

red7flag
Jul-24-2012, 9:10am
Due to the singing nature of the high strings, A and E, this RSDMM to my surprise, seems well suited to Celtic tunes. I was playing Flowers of Edinburgh on a whim this morning and found this instrument just as pleasing as playing it with my F4 which really sings. This RSDMM keeps impressing me. One word that comes to mind that I did not expect, sophisticated. It does many things well on many levels. The tone is clear, but complex. Hard to explain, but makes sense when you hear it.

pjlama
Jul-24-2012, 9:45am
Wow Tony, congrats. What beautiful instrument, I'm glad you're so happy with it. I'd heard it is very good.

Hendrik Ahrend
Jul-27-2012, 5:20pm
I can't resist... It surely is nice mandolin and plays as nice as is presented but...
I don't understand why they still use the one piece CNC cut headstock binding... that completely kills any vintage look.
And the straight f/b extension and the "eagle beak" in the scroll and also carving of the scroll is far away. They intentionally modify the logo to look more primitive and some tiny details but leave such major things in the modern "factory style".
IMHO, the crack pattern on the headstock doesn't look very convincing as well, too dense.
Adrian, I guess you are right in most respects. Seems like instrument makers always tend to be creative. Are you sure about the one-piece headstock binding? I can't really tell from the picture. The bass side headstock scroll indeed looks somewhat peaky and pointing far downward. I wonder what Gibson's policy is today. I own two 2005 DMMs with "correct", mitered binding (both with "eagle beak", though). Some recent Harvey-signed F5s (MM and Fern, if I remember correctly) lack the eagle beak and have the 21st fret in line with the binding (as in '23). I wonder what Ron Shuffler's 2011 RSDMM on the classifieds looks like.
OP, which day was #19 signed?

Hendrik Ahrend
Jul-29-2012, 7:53am
I wonder what Ron Shuffler's 2011 RSDMM on the classifieds looks like. [/QUOTE]

Just checked it out (#27 of 30). Looks just like #19. Maybe Gibson, indeed, went back to a one-piece headstock binding.

red7flag
Jul-29-2012, 9:48am
Henry, Sorry for the delay. Looks like February 1, 2008.

Hendrik Ahrend
Jul-29-2012, 11:14am
Thanks, Tony, congrats on your new mandolin. Hope you enjoy it. "Clear tone, but complex." I guess, I understand.
Henry

HoGo
Jul-29-2012, 1:58pm
Adrian, I guess you are right in most respects. Seems like instrument makers always tend to be creative. Are you sure about the one-piece headstock binding? I can't really tell from the picture. The bass side headstock scroll indeed looks somewhat peaky and pointing far downward. I wonder what Gibson's policy is today. I own two 2005 DMMs with "correct", mitered binding (both with "eagle beak", though). Some recent Harvey-signed F5s (MM and Fern, if I remember correctly) lack the eagle beak and have the 21st fret in line with the binding (as in '23).
There was a period when they seemed to try to get closer to originals but I haven't seen one with bent/mitered/butted - sidebounds were all butt joint bindings. The miters where visible were typically just inscribed fake lines. The one piece binding is easy to spot on scrolls. The ivoroid grain is coming across at top and bottom of the scroll making it "stripey".

Hendrik Ahrend
Jul-30-2012, 2:33am
Well observed, Adrian. My two DMMs from 2005 sure have mitered bindings, apparently without cross grain. (D-70321 & D-70304; Note the similarity of the script inlays.) The MM on the left (V-73732; proto from 2000; note the unique script and the large buttons) has the one-piece binding with cross grain. Also, the "miter" in the treble side scroll runs a bit short, the DMM version points a bit too much downward, both of which is unlike most Loars. It's too bad, all you want from Gibson is a good copy. But all of those mandos sound awesome.
Kind regards, Henry