PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my strings

MSGrady20
Jul-21-2012, 9:41am
I tuned my mandolin earlier today, began to play a few finger excercises and i noticed that my mandolin started to sound like it was out of tune again. I pulled out my Snark again to check the tune and the strings had already gotten out of tune within 5 minutes. Is this a sign that I need to change my strings? I will add that I recently bought strap that wouldn't fit under the nut area because it had a plastic adjuster under the strings, so I delicatley force it through (I know it wasn't a smart move) could I have messed up my strings from doing this? Any ideas? Thanks!

Mandobart
Jul-21-2012, 10:21am
Is it going sharp or flat? Based on the strap description, it could be the strings are not free to move between the nut and the tuners. If they get caught on whatever the plastic deal is, then its just like when strings bind in the nut.

Rob Meldrum
Jul-21-2012, 2:39pm
I find that if I start with a cold mandolin it warms up as I am playing and the strings will go out of tune. Of course, new strings need a few days to settle in, but changing the temperature of the mandolin will impact the string tension and tune, even with broken-in strings. Hope this helps. Rob

allenhopkins
Jul-21-2012, 2:50pm
So: you tuned the strings, and found that within five minutes they were out of tune. You recently put a strap around the headstock behind the nut which you "delicately forced through" and perhaps the plastic "adjuster" is still sitting under the strings...? Maybe making it harder for the string tension adjust to uniformity the entire length of the string -- i.e., more string tension behind the nut than in the length of string between nut and bridge?

Should that be the case, as you pick, the strings vibrate and the motion of the strings in the nut slots allows the tension to equalize along the entire string length. The result may be that the portion of the strings that sound -- between nut and bridge -- may go sharper or flatter than their pitch when you initially tuned.

Old strings do hold pitch less well than newer strings, due to metal fatigue, flat spots worn over the frets, etc. But if the most recent change in your mandolin was the installation of the new strap, with the "adjuster" that had to be "forced" into place, I'd start with that. Take the strap off, and see if the problem persists.

MSGrady20
Jul-21-2012, 5:25pm
Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I think I am going to put a fresh set of strings on my mandolin (I have been wanting to since i recieved my it from the factory). And this time I am going to properly put the strap on without the strings on the mandolin (because I am pretty sure that is how your supposed to put this type of strap on.

Jim
Jul-21-2012, 6:49pm
Good Idea to replace those factory strings anyway, If this is your first time, don't forget to mark the bridge position with some low tack tape, if you are going to remove all the strings.

JeffD
Jul-21-2012, 7:21pm
Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I think I am going to put a fresh set of strings on my mandolin (I have been wanting to since i recieved my it from the factory). And this time I am going to properly put the strap on without the strings on the mandolin (because I am pretty sure that is how your supposed to put this type of strap on.

If I understand what you are saying, you plan to take all the strings off at once to accomplish the change. I never do this. Opinions vary, but I change one string at a time, replacing the old with the new before moving on to the next string.

It keeps the bridge in place, and keeps tension on the neck. My mandolin was expertly set up a while back and I have managed to preserve the set up over many many many string changes this way.

MSGrady20
Jul-22-2012, 7:35am
So the bridge will automatically reset itself when I remove all the strings? If so, that sucks. Any advice on resetting the bridge then?

John Kinn
Jul-22-2012, 7:53am
On a mandolin the bridge is loose.

doc holiday
Jul-22-2012, 7:54am
MS, The bridge does not 'reset itself' & it does not suck.... The instrument is built that way. The tension of the strings keeps the bridge in place on the top. It's not glued there. The same is true of banjos & violin family instruments. The neck keeps its relief agains the string tension, so if you take of all the strings it takes some time for the instrument to re-adjust when strung up again. Changing strings one at a time is no big deal.

mandobassman
Jul-22-2012, 7:58am
I would strongly agree with JeffD. Unless you're doing repairs, never take all strings off at once. Without tension, a mandolin bridge will move out of place and unless you tape it in position you take the chance of not getting it back in the right position. Even a little bit off can mess up intonation. I would change one string at a time and keep tension on the bridge at all times. If the strap turns out to be the problem, look into a different type of strap. Trying to force that one to work properly may not be worth the hassle. It may not be the strap at all. If you still have factory strings on it, that could very well be the problem. Allen is right - old strings don't hold tune as well.

Mandobart
Jul-23-2012, 1:23pm
Unless you want to delve into bridge adjustment and intonation, only replace one pair of strings at a time. Mandolins, violins and any arch top instrument use a floating bridge. Also, be sure to loosen all the strings a little (no more than a half step in tone is necessary) before you start. When you remove your G strings, for example, that takes some tension off the neck, causing it to return a little towards its "no tension" position. This actually raises the tension on the remaining strings as it stretches them more. I learned this while changing strings on my 5 string fiddle (snap went the D).