rose#1
Jan-01-2005, 11:38pm
another,

rose#1
Jan-01-2005, 11:41pm
peghead

jasona
Jan-02-2005, 3:02am
Darby. Wow. That's a finish I usually associate with Nugget. Like silk.

Congrats!

Crowder
Jan-02-2005, 7:38am
Pretty!

Skip Kelley
Jan-02-2005, 8:59am
Darby, Great looking scroll and finish!! Nice job! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

barricwiley
Jan-02-2005, 9:06am
Very sweet indeed! Lot of glare though, any chance of another frontal view without the high glare?
You really do nice work Darby, any chance you will come to the mando tasting in DC if there is one in January? I met you at the last tasting and enjoyed talking with you and hearing you pick your instruments.
Richard:;):

rose#1
Jan-02-2005, 11:25am
outside pic of the top I will try to get to the next gathering but I dont know if I will have any mandos ready by then.

Scotti Adams
Jan-02-2005, 1:34pm
Very nice Darby..hope you havent forgot me http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Scotti Adams
Jan-09-2005, 9:57am
For what its worth Darby makes a very fine mando....Darby was gracious enough to send me and older one of his and I am blown away.....thanks Darby....you all owe it to yourself to check him out. *ABSOLUTELY NO FINANCIAL INTEREST*

jasona
Jan-09-2005, 12:57pm
I'd love an objective evaluation, with highlights and flaws. A comparison of tone with other mandolins you've owned would be helpful too. I know dasspunk posted some sound clips of his Rose which is really helpful for folks trying to make an upgrade decision, but too often folk's reviews of their mandolins are "the next Dude, get on board quick!" and I for one don't find that hype all that helpful (in fact, I immediately get suspicious). Of course, I could be accused of this very same thing...but if you search my initial review of my mandolin I did point out the ups and downs.

No offence intended to either Scotti and Darby (and I'm not saying this is even what Scotti did here), just saying what would help me should I ever want another mandolin (and I know there are other folks looking) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

kyblue
Jan-09-2005, 9:56pm
jasona,

What you could do is go to a Lonesome River Band concert, find Jeff Parker. He'll probably let you play his Rose, and also give you his opinion. He's a straight up guy that will give you an honest evaluation. He's not playing one because he got a freebie (he has a Gibson for that), he bought one because he liked it. He likes his Steffey and his Rose, at least that's what he tells me. I take mandolin lessons from him.

Playing his Rose sold me on Darby's work.

Paula

jasona
Jan-09-2005, 10:36pm
Paula,
I'm not looking to get sold on anybody's work. I certainly am not going to chase after band x or y to try a mando. Darby's work from the pictures looks outstanding. I want some ideas how it sounds. I can't play them all, so I was hoping to get an honest comparison with other mandos, hopefully including one I have played. If we as a community can't communicate beyond "OMG IT ROX!!1" then I find this board is not living up to its potential for exchange of information.

Lane Pryce
Jan-09-2005, 11:04pm
Sweet!! Lp

cutbait2
Jan-10-2005, 7:34am
Jansona, what you are asking is reasonable but the advice given can be very subjective and often times (when given here) not based on a lot of experience. i think Paula's advice to look up or listen to a band where the instrument is being used is good. also note that Mike of Nothin' Fancy plays a Rose. a couple touring pro's using your mando's is a pretty good reference. i heard Mike at (guess what) the LRB festival last year and thought his mando sounded excellent. excellent to me. apparently Jeff liked what he heard also. but there was another excellent band there whose mando picker had a great sounding mando made by a guy from colorado whose name is Rose I think. also keep it mind that often its the pickers style that brings out (or doesn't ) a certain tone. BG festivals are absolutely the best way to hear and play alot of good instruments........

cutbait2
Jan-10-2005, 8:41am
ps. i do not own, have on order, or have any financial interest in the above, though i have emailed Darby a couple times

sbob
Jan-10-2005, 10:16am
How I came to own rose #24; I had a Flatiron A, great woody tone and volume, and I had it for years. I started playing in a band and wanted a scroll. I purchased another Montana made mandolin which became very loud and had a wonderful modern sounding tone. In search of the old sound
(woody) and feel (flat fingerboard) I played some great sounding 4-5K Mandolins. Then I stumbled across the sound bites on dasspunks web site and followed several threads on the topic. I knew what I wanted; Dark color,tone, and deep bluegrass chop, a traditional look without being straight copy. Most of all it was important that the instrument be hand made. This was all the instructions
I gave to Darby. We talked on a few occasions, I sent in my
deposit, and began the waiting process. He offered me #24
early and I accepted.
All my expectations were met or exceeded. It still needs professional set up to match my playing style,
but it plays just fine in the mean time. From the moment I took it out of the case I knew this one was gonna be good.
The out side picture is very close to what it looks like. The camera angle makes the scroll look small. but its not.

Scott http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Mandobob5
Jan-10-2005, 12:34pm
Very nice mandolin. Lovin the finish.

Scotti Adams
Jan-10-2005, 2:19pm
Lets just say Jasona...#12 rox.....very few times a mando comes along that has it all...this one does. So much in fact..you can officially count me in as a future Rose owner. sending out my deposit this week. As Darbys signature line says...thats 'nuff said.

kyblue
Jan-10-2005, 3:50pm
jasona,

My very subjective opinion is that perhaps you could use some more fiber in your diet.

But, I do acknowledge having had a bad day, which I'm sure is coloring my ability to be objective.

Paula

Scotti Adams
Jan-10-2005, 3:54pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ouch

Scotti Adams
Jan-10-2005, 3:56pm
Hey Paula...I will be at the LRB show in Wilmington...if you are able to come...please dont make a stranger of yourself...

jasona
Jan-10-2005, 4:00pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

If I deserved that for trying to get more information from those of you who have played these things, fine. Thanks to all who contributed something useful.

Scotti Adams
Jan-10-2005, 4:09pm
Hey Jason..I will be glad to answer questions you may have....give me a buzz at 937 768 2598...

mandoJeremy
Jan-10-2005, 10:07pm
Or you could just buy a Rose and not worry with the questions!!! Of course, there is more to it than just that. Call me at 828-287-8950 and I will definitely talk mandos with you Jason!

jeffyork
Jan-11-2005, 9:30am
Jason,

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about my Rose's (I have #23). I don't have the time right now to write up a comparison (we just had a baby), but if you send me some questions I'll answer them.

I think that it is one of the best sounding mandolins I've encountered (deep sound, nice bell-like highs). It is getting LOUD and cuts right through a jam. I have to throttle back even with ba*%jos sometimes.

It is not as "dry" sounding as a gibson - more like the Collings or a Phoenix. The fit and finish are fine, exceptional for the money, but not as "perfect" as one of the big manufacturers. Playability is great if you prefer a wider neck and radius (I do). Neck is similar to a Bush.

Hope this helps. Write with more questions if you like.

jeffyork@excite.com

jasona
Jan-11-2005, 9:44am
Thanks Jeff, that was very helpful actually. Congrats on the baby!

Scotti, I actually would have called last night, but I got home late and being on west coast time thought it best to skip it.