PDA

View Full Version : Ball-end strings?

DaveL35
Jul-19-2012, 3:55pm
Does anyone know of any strings with the same or very similar spec to the D'Addario J73 set, but with ball ends? (J73 are .010 .014 .024 .038)

Thanks.

mandroid
Jul-19-2012, 5:50pm
You can always get Guitar strings in those gages.. same thing .. P-bronze acoustic guitar..

also it's OK to glue a ball in the looser loop, temporarily.
as once up to pitch the wire will pull tightly around the groove in the ball.

Ive gotten old ball ends for cello strings and put both string loops on the same ball
since they both have to go in the same ferrule , in my thru the body E mando.

DaveL35
Jul-19-2012, 6:16pm
Thanks for the reply, mandroid.

I can get loop end strings to work with the tailpiece on the mando by holding a ball in place until the string gets some tension. I'm after a way to avoid that inconvenience, really, cos it makes the process a bit time-consuming. And buying single guitar strings to make up the set is just too expensive.

I get through a lot of strings so I'm looking for a way to keep inconvenience and cost down.

(This issue has come up because there are quality control and availability issues with the ball-end strings from my usual source so I want to switch - and J73s are the closest match to what I've been using.)

rockies
Jul-19-2012, 6:38pm
Dave, Go to Just Strings, I believe they advertise on the Cafe home page. Order the guages you want as individual strings under the D'Addario tab if you prefer the ones in the D'Addario J73 sets. Order x Number of each and when they come in make up your own sets. I do it all the time for a tenor guitar. Good Luck,
Also a Dave

DaveL35
Jul-19-2012, 7:18pm
Dave, buying them as singles is just too expensive. I'm after strings as a set so that they would be available from a UK retailer. That's the only way the cost will be sensible.

Otherwise I'll just have to carry on wedging a ball in the loop ends. If I can just grow a third hand, that will be easy enough.

Dave Hanson
Jul-20-2012, 2:25am
Redwing, available on mail order from The Music Room in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire.

Dave H

Ray(T)
Jul-20-2012, 4:10am
Hi Dave - You've not said what your usual source is so I might be telling you what you already know.

Eagle music sell their own strings which are re-branded Newtones. If you check their website, you'll find they do pick-your-own gauges in both loop and ball end. Unfortunately they're not particularly cheap. A cheaper option is to buy them direct form Newtone but you'll need to order at least 6 sets and they aren't the quickest (I've been waiting for nearly 2months for some).

One of the many Dave's recommended Just Strings. They're probably worth checking out as their strings do work out cheaper than you might think. The downside is that they charge $40 shipping. From memory, they supply strings in twelves but by the time you've added shipping, VAT and the dreaded royal mail collection charge they're still cheaper than most.

Where in the W Midlands are you? I'm just outside Buxton.

Ray (not Dave)

DaveL35
Jul-20-2012, 5:15am
Redwing, available on mail order from The Music Room in Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire.

Thanks, Mr H. I'll check that out.

DaveL35
Jul-20-2012, 5:30am
@Ray T - pm sent.

Ted Eschliman
Jul-20-2012, 9:49am
Click image:
http://daddariostrings.com/resources/jdcdad/images/products/da_prod_EJ70_main_2.jpg (http://daddariostrings.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=277&productname=EJ70_Phosphor_Bronze_Mandolin_Strings_ _Ball_End___Medium_Light__11_38)

Tim2723
Jul-20-2012, 10:33am
Also check out Ovations 'Adamas' label mandolin strings. They are mandolin sets with ball ends for their instruments. There are, I believe, three sets offered. I think the medium or light will fit the bill. They might be a bit more than individual strings, but it's quite convenient and a good deal if you buy several sets.

mandobassman
Jul-20-2012, 6:48pm
Check this.

http://www.emando.com/shop/strings8.htm

Go to the section in the box for Bronze, They have that exact gauge "light" in ball or loop end. Or in the "Payment" section you can select Bronze, Light gauge, and Ball end. I've bought Octave Mando strings from here and they were quick with delivery.

mandroid
Jul-22-2012, 5:07pm
Bulk buys of guitar strings by the dozen, 4 .. a dozen of each,
gets you 6 mandolin string sets..

Pribar
Jul-23-2012, 12:32am
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Ami%2Ck%3Aball+end+mandolin+stri ngs&keywords=ball+end+mandolin+strings&ie=UTF8&qid=1343021474

DaveL35
Aug-01-2012, 6:33am
@ Dave Hanson:

I got some Redwings and I've just put a set on the Tobin mandolin. I have to say I'm impressed.

I'll try them out at a session in the next few days, but really I'm confident already that they are the answer to my problem.

Thanks again for the suggestion.