PDA

View Full Version : Fretting on Fretting

mandrian
Jul-18-2012, 5:09am
Hi,

I know the basic rules for fretting in first position in terms of which fingers cover which frets. However my hands are pretty small (16.5cm stretch outside of pinky to outside of index finger).

Perhaps given this, I often find myself using the next finger up to what I should. For example just now I'm practising a lick that starts on the A and E strings and moves from the third fret on the A string to the sixth and then to the first fret on the E string to the fourth.

I find myself moving from second finger to pinky (rather than third) on the A string, then from first finger to third finger (rather than second) on the E string. I find it difficult to do the stretch if I observe the normal rule to keep the previous note noted until the next one is sounded, i.e. keep the second finger down on the third fret until the third finger is pressed down on the sixth fret.

In summary what I'm saying is that I find it difficult to fret three fret spaces apart on adjacent fingers. Should I just practice this and hope it gets easier or is it really no big deal anyway and I should take the easy and comfotable way out?

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

Regards

Mark Robertson-Tessi
Jul-18-2012, 5:59am
Most of the time, if I have two notes that are 3 frets apart, I will play them with 1st and 3rd fingers, or 2nd and 4th, so I don't think you are doing anything out of the ordinary by using your pinky on fret 6. For that sequence of 4 notes, I'd say you have a good fingering. The idea of each finger having certain frets is not my favorite. Rather, consecutive fingers should cover consecutive scale notes. When you have 2 notes that are one or two frets apart, use adjacent fingers. For notes that are 3 or 4 frets apart, use fingers 1-3 or 2-4. Notes that are 5 or more frets apart, use fingers 1-4. There are always exceptions, but this is a good starting point.

Cheers
MRT

Bertram Henze
Jul-18-2012, 6:17am
However my hands are pretty small (16.5cm stretch outside of pinky to outside of index finger).

That's not small (I have the same size, and I play an OM). The interesting thing about this value is that it is obviously measured on the palm with outstretched fingers, and that is not how you grip the fretboard, hopefully.

Problems with stretches frequently occur when players, coming from the guitar, hold their hand parallel with the fretboard, the fingers parallel with the frets; you are supposed to turn your hand at an angle outward, the fingers almost parallel with the fretboard, like violinists do. There is a nice instruction video where Mike Marshall demonstrates this, just can't find it right now...

Chip Booth
Jul-18-2012, 10:10am
I often use my pinky to play the sixth fret as well, and I have seen more than one pro level player do this.

Mandopeach
Jul-29-2012, 11:39am
Here you go Bertram
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmagoBQunZI&feature=related

Bertram Henze
Jul-29-2012, 12:06pm
Here you go Bertram
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmagoBQunZI&feature=related

Yes, that's it exactly. My point is even better demonstrated by what a cello player does (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gosY-UrpHcA), managing a much bigger scale with the same technique.

jackmalonis
Jul-29-2012, 5:58pm
How seriously do people take the holding of your thumb on the shoulder of the neck as opposed to pressing it against the back like a guitarist.
I have very small hands as well, and after watching that video I found that I can't do a lot of those stretches without my thumb against the back.