PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the classifieds?

jaycat
Jul-13-2012, 7:45pm
Has anyone noticed more and more ads with no photos? And with very brief descriptions? Doesn't give one much to go on . . .

John Flynn
Jul-13-2012, 7:59pm
There was a lengthy discussion on this some time back. To sum up, one side seems to think having no photo does not make a difference in sales potential and it has the advantage of discouraging non-serious inquiries. The other side (which I'm on) goes by the old marketing adage, "Don't tell 'em, show 'em." Then there is everything in between, such as people who only show back photos. Personally, I want to see the business end, not fine furniture! Then there are people who put in stock photos, which I don't care for. I really like the ads that have links to more photos and even sound files, even though I know sound files are not great representations.

Two out of three times I sold something on the Classifieds, got asked for more photos before I made the sale. Also, if I'm buying, I lose interest if I don't see a photo. But each to one's own.

jaycat
Jul-13-2012, 8:48pm
What really gets to me are the extremely terse descriptions. Then you email the seller looking for more info and it still isn't forthcoming . . .kinda like pulling teeth.

KristinEliza
Jul-13-2012, 9:02pm
I figured the general lack of photos was just due to a delay in posting (e.g. new ad, photos aren't ready yet, something like that).

SincereCorgi
Jul-13-2012, 9:44pm
Then there is everything in between, such as people who only show back photos.

Seriously, what is up with that? Is it, like, for people who are really into the woodgrain? When I play, that part goes against my stomach.

pjlama
Jul-13-2012, 11:11pm
I think my stomach really likes beautiful flaming :)) seriously the more the better (pics, content) but they're good right now a couple of well priced Loars a Dude, a Nugget, Ellis, new Stanley, Red Diamond, The Kimble twins, it just goes on and on. Oddly enough I still look but after owning nearly everything it takes a lot to raise my blood pressure. Plus I'm pretty confident I've found the best mandolin and builder for me. I think I'll always look at the classifieds, I've been doing it everyday for five years but searching is over, kind of boring but now I get to play more and shop less. I was just thinking today though how amazing the cafe classifieds are, it mind boggling, I'd like to total all the inventory just to see a dollar value for what's up there sometimes, you gotta think theres a couple of millin in mandolins available at any given time, truly amazing for such a cult instrument.

Ron McMillan
Jul-14-2012, 2:01am
I am continually confused by people who seem to think we will flock to a sale when we can't see the item. The site makes it SO easy to put up a photograph that you have to wonder if the people who don't take advantage of this amazing (and free!) tool are actually serious about selling anything.

My pet peeve on the Classifieds is the large number of 'wanted' ads on the Mandolins page, when the site clearly provides a 'Wanted' page for such ads. The guys who run the site don't need another job policing such intentional errors, and it's the posters who cynically take advantage of this to get their ads in front of more traffic that get my goat.

ron

pjlama
Jul-14-2012, 2:11am
I think there's probably some people who are lucky to turn the computer on let alone upload a picture, I agree, pics really help but we're probably not dealing with a highly technical demographic considering the instrument went out of vogue in the late 1920's :))

Dave Hanson
Jul-14-2012, 2:24am
Looking at some mandolins pictures in the classifieds which show only the back of a mandolin, I tend to get the impression that for some sellers, looks are more important than playability or sound quality.

Pictures are not vitally important, a good true description is.

Dave H

G7MOF
Jul-14-2012, 2:29am
My pet peeve on the Classifieds is the large number of 'wanted' ads on the Mandolins page, when the site clearly provides a 'Wanted' page for such ads. The guys who run the site don't need another job policing such intentional errors, and it's the posters who cynically take advantage of this to get their ads in front of more traffic that get my goat.

ron

I must admit I do this, More people, I should think read the (For Sale) section just to see what's there, Rather than the (Wanted) when they have nothing to sell, this boosts the chances of being seen.
I will however stop this act, and respect the rules and the way the site operates from now on.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-14-2012, 3:33am
A front & back view should be the minimum when including pics.of an instrument for sale-or-a link to somewhere where further pics.can be seen. I've often has a laugh to myself when seeing a pic.of just the headstock & part of the neck,thinking that the body attached was totally 'pokerised'. One of our fellow members,Gary Watkins,who's just had his mandolin written off,could (in theory) sell it by posting a pic.like that & giving a pre-damage description of it. The old saying - 'One picture is worth a 1000 words' - i'll go with that,
Ivan

lenf12
Jul-14-2012, 8:56am
No price in the ad drives me a bit over the edge. Selling is exchanging goods for currency. No listed price?? Does that mean it's free?

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

OldGus
Jul-14-2012, 9:02am
....."Good Mandolin, Play Well".

bmm5255
Jul-14-2012, 9:34am
And don't forget all the ads in the mandolin section for guitars, banjos, other stringed instruments, accessories, etc., when there is clearly a specialized category for the item.

Willie Poole
Jul-14-2012, 10:58am
Just because some of own a computer don`t mean we own a digital camera and know how to post pictures...I DON`T....A good complete description should be enough to get peoples attention....Classified ads in a newspaper very seldom have pictures, of course those most likely will be local and we can drive over and test the product....I have only bought one instrument that I didn`t play first so I don`t rely on the ads too much....I did have a long talk with the seller about the mandolin and asked why he wanted to sell it etc...

I do think a price should be listed along with any issues that the instrument may have....

Willie

dcoventry
Jul-14-2012, 11:35am
No digital camera, you say?

Does your phone have a camera? Most do, and that would suffice for the picture taking.

Or, ask a medium aged child for help.:grin:

John Flynn
Jul-14-2012, 4:21pm
No digital camera, you say?

Does your phone have a camera? Most do, and that would suffice for the picture taking.

Or, ask a medium aged child for help.:grin:

I even figured out that my laptop will take pretty good still pictures using the webcam and it's not "latest and greatest" technology by any means.

nobullmando74
Jul-14-2012, 5:19pm
My next ad will read " mandolin 8 strings, make offer":)) of course no photo too.

hank
Jul-14-2012, 5:44pm
OK time for counter point. As much as everyone enjoys window shopping the classifies myself included much of the activity is only that. When I've listed a mandolin to sell here I end up taking it off and selling it else where because of all the ridiculous low balling phone calls from nits that probably can't afford to buy anyway. Often they are insulting calls made for no other reason than to waste your time with their opinions and delusional rational of why you should just give them your mandolin. Reason #1. When you list a mandolin with a verbal description and link to photos and detailed information for serious buyers only you probably save yourself some of this kind of grief. Reason #2. The more we move into micro computers(phones & pads) your option on the classified and forum are narrowed down. Our PC recently died but I'm finding the only thing we're(my wife and I)are missing is the ability to print documents and pictures or post pictures on this forum and classifieds. So----I decided to spend the money on another mandolin instead of another stinking computer. Reason #3. Just because you have something to sell doesn't mean you have to take a dozen photos of it to satisfy all you voyeurs out there that have no intention of buying but want to look! This whole thread is basically just whining about not getting your mandolin photo fix each and every day. OK, I've stirred this whine fest enough, let the abuse begin!

Jim Ferguson
Jul-14-2012, 5:54pm
Hank........good ones........I wish you'd tell us how you REALLY feel about the issue....;-)
I guess I fall in the middle..........I like a couple of pics to go with the description right out of the gate so my eye can be pleased or revolted & I can decide if I want to proceed based on the description thereafter.
Peace,

hank
Jul-14-2012, 6:07pm
Actually I'm not serious at all just trying to liven things up a bit.

John Flynn
Jul-14-2012, 7:53pm
Classified ads in a newspaper very seldom have pictures,
There are still classified ads in newspapers? People still use them? People still read them? Why? I'm an old guy I can't even remember the last time I saw one! :disbelief:

Fredmando
Jul-14-2012, 8:10pm
I used the Mandolin Cafe Classified section for the first time this weekend and had a positive experience. A friend of mine who is a forum member suggested that I not copy and paste the instrument specs like some other sellers do on eBay. After reading this thread I think I should have put more information in the listing, but I didn't want to crowd it with two paragraphs of my dribble. I did include a photo of the front of the mando, but I think the back is awesome. Maybe I was wrong, but I did not include my phone number on this ad. A potential buyer now has my phone number.
However, I got three very polite and professional emails about the mandolin within 12 hours of posting. Knock on wood, but listing anything on eBay is nerve-racking and I am very thankful that Scott T. set up this option on The Cafe.
Thanks for the interesting thread, folks. I might be using the Classifieds again. This is one of the best forums out there, you know?
Fred

OldGus
Jul-14-2012, 9:26pm
...To Hank, Counterpionts: 1. It sounds like you were more than "Window shopping". 2. You computer broke and you bought a mandolin. That's you choice and you shouldn't blame others for it. 3. Pictures and sound clips are helpful to potential buyers. 4. There may be some half interested "low ballers" but it only takes one legitimate buyer to make a sale. Point 5. I have also had better success selling elsewhere but seek to improve.

Willie Poole
Jul-14-2012, 10:04pm
No, I don`t have a digital camera and I don`t have a cell phone either and my computer doesn`t have a camera on it so I guess I am just out of touch with the reat of you....I have lived many years without a cell phone which isn`t anything but an electronic leash so your spouse or boss can contact you....I know they do come in handy in case of a car breaking down etc but I still don`t want one, I also don`t have GPS or On Star in my automobile, Model A`s just didn`t have them....

Actually my wife does have a digital camera and a cell phone and I might just get her to show me how to send pictures on this marvel thing called a computer, I`m lucky to just get it turned on....

Willie

Dan Margolis
Jul-14-2012, 10:37pm
You can find digital cameras for practically nothing these days. I am confident that I could find a used and usable camera for five bucks if I looked around. I like seeing pix and will generally ignore ads that don't have them. And yeah, I have bought and sold on the Cafe classifieds. Give me pix, an honest description, and a realistic asking price.

mandobassman
Jul-14-2012, 10:40pm
I won't even look at an ad that doesn't have a photo. There really is no excuse for not including one. If you don't have a digital camera, a cell phone camera, or a laptop camera, so what! Even if all you have is a disposable 35mm film camera, you can get the film processed and put on CD by almost any one hour photo lab. I want to see what I'm considering spending money on. The point about classified newspaper ads is true, however, most classified newspaper ads are selling something locally that you would normally set up a meeting with a seller to see the item. Here on the Cafe, we are looking at items that are being sold all around the country and beyond. Having a photo and a complete description will greatly increase you chances of selling something. And, if it doesn't have a price then I'm skeptical, because there are too many people that are phishing and want you to email them. "Call for a price or photos". Be upfront about the info and then I'll be interested.

dcoventry
Jul-14-2012, 11:55pm
No, I don`t have a digital camera and I don`t have a cell phone either and my computer doesn`t have a camera on it so I guess I am just out of touch with the reat of you....I have lived many years without a cell phone which isn`t anything but an electronic leash so your spouse or boss can contact you....I know they do come in handy in case of a car breaking down etc but I still don`t want one, I also don`t have GPS or On Star in my automobile, Model A`s just didn`t have them....

Actually my wife does have a digital camera and a cell phone and I might just get her to show me how to send pictures on this marvel thing called a computer, I`m lucky to just get it turned on....

Willie

Come Willie, join in these marvels of technology. A cell phone is only a leash if you let it become so, grasshopper. Be at one and at peace with the computer age. Oh yes, could you please pass the Soylent Green? Thanks a bunch!

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-15-2012, 3:24am
As i said in my last post,a 'full' front & back view should be posted along with the ad. Ok,a good description 'might' be adequate,but we all have our own interpretations of phrases such as 'medium wear','a few dings' etc. - with a couple of good pics.,it's not left up to us - we can SEE it !.
To address Willie's point - I had a computer for a couple of year prior to buying a digital camera,mainly because i had a very expensive film camera that i didn't want to ditch. I ended up buying an mid-priced Fuji 'Finepix' camera & a Fuji 'Finepix' card reader to go with it.It was so worthwhile & the use of them was almost self explanatory. I do nothing more than take photos.& upload them to my PC,i'm not versed in the higher forms of photo.manipulation.These days,a digital camera is 'almost' a pre-requisite if you own & use a PC - however it isn't compulsory,simply a very,very usefull tool,it allows me to do this,:grin:
Ivan;)

Gerry Hastie
Jul-15-2012, 3:57am
As someone who bought a mandolin in the last year - not through the classifieds - I'm not ashamed to say that looks were important. Quite a lot of us have F style mandolins and are happy to pay a premium on them even though an A style can sound just as good. We all know what F styles or A styles look like and most of us have seen enough mandolins to get a visual image of various different types of finish but I believe that images can help sell your mandolin as well as some sales pitch.

This website is populated and serves the needs of a very geeky and obsessed population of mandolin players worldwide. We simply love mandolins and all aspects of them. Who wouldn't want to maximise the potential sales traffic from this 'market' by tapping into and exploiting the nature of the people who use this website? I would think it just arrogant to post the minimal info with no pics, make the customer do all the work to get more info and reduce passing trade especially when the classifieds are free and expect a successful sale.

Builders thrive on their reputation but still most include some eye candy on their website.

Astro
Jul-15-2012, 7:23am
I agree with you Gerry 100%.

We can make this into a life philosophy or we can talk about selling mandolins on an internet forum's classified section. If selling is what you want to do, there are ways to greatly increase you chances.

1) Single most important is pictures. The more the better. Must include the front.
2) Must state the price.
3) State the exact model number and important specs of that model--bone nut, ebony bridge, ect.
4) List your email and respond quickly, honestly, and with an extremely helpful and pleasant tone. Remember that the person on the other end may not know much about mandolins. Don't be curt. Its ok if they are tire kicking. It goes with the territory. Don't be condescending. Its ok if they asked obvious questions or even silly ones. Answer all questions like they were being asked by your new hot girlfriends Dad.

Personally, I will not buy an instrument from someone who will not talk to me. I will respectfully ask for a phone number and expect them to answer at a prearranged time. If they can't do that, they will not get my sell. When I talk to them I have their number and address and can check them out and I can easily feel how sincere that person is when I ask my questions. Its risky enough buying sight unseen. If you arent willing to talk, dont post it. Put it on eBAy. I have bought many guitars on eBAy and I use the same rule and it has proven me well and saved me a number of times.

Thats it. That is what it takes. If those 4 things are done, it will sell way faster than if they are not. Common sense and simple but I was amazed at how many people try to sell and not do the basics. You can have a bunch of reasons why you dont post a pic. Thats fine. But dont bother posting on an internet forum because its already a non starter.

I tried to buy a Mando from a classified listing here. Most members did all of the above and I learned a lot.

I will say that this forum includes some of the nicest members and best dealers I have ever seen.

Nick Gellie
Jul-15-2012, 7:44am
I agree with both Gerry and Astro that classifieds should tell the potential buyer what it is he or she might be buying. I too prefer a good quality photograph and a frank and detailed description of what is on offer. What is interesting that the higher priced mandos get a better description than those being sold for much less. I have bought and sold a few instruments on the classifieds and I have been pleasantly surprised how courteous and easy my dealings have been with buyers and customers.

I hope that sellers take heed of what is being said in this thread and alter their advertisements so that we can see much more clearly what is being sold. Some of the photographs need to be much less dark and unclear. Possibly these were taken with a mobile phone rather than a digital camera.

jmalmsteen
Jul-15-2012, 8:25am
What exactly is considered lowballing? If a mandolin is advertised for 10k, what would be a low ball offer? Also, sometimes things are priced well and sometimes things are overpriced. I saw an instrument that sells new that I can order right now for $4300 offered for $3900 and it was at least five years old. I would feel differently about offering market value to the "overpriced" ad compared to something priced closer to market value. Thoughts?

mandophil(e)
Jul-15-2012, 10:00am
Two marginally related nits: As a seller, it drives me nuts when I get endless requests for more information and lots more pictures, and then get no response back. Not even a courtesy "thanks". As a buyer I've had several experiences on the Classifieds where I made a firm offer, it was accepted, the deal was agreed to, and then the buyer just changed their mind. If you post an instrument as for sale, I assume you've thought it through and it is for sale.
I feel better now.

bmac
Jul-15-2012, 10:36am
As an insterested buyer I almost prefer there be no photo and little, or poor description.... Because folks looking for quality instruments will be cautious or avoid those ads and not even bother to enquire. I think it is important for the buyer to know a lot more about the instrument in question than the seller. Often the seller knows nothing and has no way of evaluating the instrument. So the buyers bids or makes an offer very cautiously with the understanding that there is some risk. If the buyer wants a sure thing with no risk he is better off going to a dealer... more expensive but a more secure transaction and he will normally offer return policy. the important thing is for the buyer to do his reasearch on that particular brand and style instrument so he can ask the seller good questions.

In my case if the instrument is damaged or in very poor condition I really get excited because I restore instruments and am looking for a potentially decent instrument at the lowest possible price.

Astro
Jul-15-2012, 10:53am
As an insterested buyer I almost prefer there be no photo and little, or poor description.... Because folks looking for quality instruments will be cautious or avoid those ads and not even bother to enquire. I think it is important for the buyer to know a lot more about the instrument in question than the seller. Often the seller knows nothing and has no way of evaluating the instrument. So the buyers bids or makes an offer very cautiously with the understanding that there is some risk. If the buyer wants a sure thing with no risk he is better off going to a dealer... more expensive but a more secure transaction and he will normally offer return policy. the important thing is for the buyer to do his reasearch on that particular brand and style instrument so he can ask the seller good questions.

In my case if the instrument is damaged or in very poor condition I really get excited because I restore instruments and am looking for a potentially decent instrument at the lowest possible price.

Really ?

OK

For Sale: Mandolin. 4500 dollars. No pictures. Don't know much about it. You can ask questions but you probably know more about it than I do. It looks old but its pretty. Just send your cash and I'll get er right out to you.

:)

Pete Summers
Jul-15-2012, 10:55am
Willie - you aren't the only dinosaur out there -- I'm right along with you. Although I do own a throw away cell phone, I NEVER turn it on unless my car breaks down or something of that nature. That's why I own it. I don't need people to be able to interrupt everything I'm doing every dang minute of the day like some folks seem to need.

And just to back us foggies up, there is a great article in the NY Times today about how cell phones aren't really "phones" at all, being used only about 20 percent of the time for phone calls. They are actually "trackers" which allow your every movement, phone call, email and web usage, location, and companions to be tracked and recorded all the time the phone is on. So maybe we dinosaurs aren't so stupid after all. ;)

About the ads with no price -- that drives me nuts too. Particularly when web sites do it. Nothing more irritating that having to search a web site and virtually beg them for their prices (and don't even get me started about trying to track down their shipping charges). If they won't post a price in large type along with a picture and description, I go else where.

It always amazes me how some sellers seem to go out of their way to avoid taking my money. :(

dcoventry
Jul-15-2012, 11:01am
Willie - you aren't the only dinosaur out there -- I'm right along with you. Although I do own a throw away cell phone, I NEVER turn it on unless my car breaks down or something of that nature. That's why I own it. I don't need people to be able to interrupt everything I'm doing every dang minute of the day like some folks seem to need.

It always amazes me how some sellers seem to go out of their way to avoid taking my money. :(

The Sellers have been trying to call you, but they can't get an answer!:))

Pete Summers
Jul-15-2012, 11:04am
The Sellers have been trying to call you, but they can't get an answer!:))
:)):))

They'll just have to use my land line, I guess.

Bernie Daniel
Jul-15-2012, 11:38pm
People should put up the adds that they want but as a chronic reader of the classifieds I would say it you really want to sell our insturment then you should:

1) provided a meaningful picture or collage of your instrument. By meaningful I mean a picture of the full front -- I don't understand the wisdom uploading a pic of a mandolin's back or headstock alone.

2) a decent description, including the maker, the woods, and information about the nut, tuners, bridge, tailpiece, finish (and condition), binding & headstock inlay. Also mention the condition of the frets, tuners, & finish and the kind of case and how it sounds.

3) an asking price, the shipping & insurance arrangements, and the return policy (if any). It is fine to say your asking price is firm but don't include statements like "no tire kickers" please. If it is too much work to respond to a potential buyer than maybe you should just hang on to it - - my opinion.

I look at these adds every day and have purchased a number of instruments and other items from the classifieds. It has been a good experience every time.

Its is just me but 9 times out of 10, I will not bother investigating an add with no pic, or a poorly written/uninformative description, or a curt "please don't bother me unless you are really really ready to buy".

bmac
Jul-16-2012, 12:47pm
Many ebay sellers (and some on this site) haven't the slightest idea how to evaluate their own instrument $ wise... "Just a few cracks", "a little joint separation", "a little wobble to the neck", "just a few scratches only seven inches long", "some of those wire things missing on that black board on the neck". "something rattles inside" are a few likely comments by sellers not familiar with instruments might make. These comments scare off most buyers. but these are the ones I go for if I know the brand and rough value of a particular brand instrument I am interested in. If a photo is available I want to see a great big crack because that will scare off most buyers and tells me that "This one is going to sell cheap!" I am quite often correct. It often doesn't help to ask for more photos if the seller doesn't know how to use his camera, as many don't.

Bernie Daniel lists good questions,,, but they assume the seller knows something about his instrument,,, and often they don't. They may have inherited it, bought it and lost interest before learning much about it, might have been a gift, don't know how to photograph it. Again, there are bargains among those instruments.

If, on the other hand, I wanted to buy a $4500 instrument I would go to a dealer so as to make sure it had a warranty or refund policy.

jaycat
Jul-16-2012, 2:34pm
Willie . . . And just to back us foggies up, there is a great article in the NY Times today about how cell phones aren't really "phones" at all, being used only about 20 percent of the time for phone calls. They are actually "trackers" which allow your every movement, phone call, email and web usage, location, and companions to be tracked and recorded all the time the phone is on. So maybe we dinosaurs aren't so stupid after all. ;) :(

I missed the article. How does a cell phone track and record your companions?

otterly2k
Jul-16-2012, 3:14pm
I have bought and sold on the Cafe classifieds, and find it to be a tremendous resource. I appreciate the opportunity to do this business within the context of a valued community, even if it is a virtual community. There are enough of us who have been geekily inhabiting this internet clubhouse for long enough that we kind of know each other, some better than others of course, and of course there are some who pop in just to use the classifieds marketplace or lurk and don't actively participate. That said, being in community creates a kind of accountability to one another, and a potential for trust and trustworthiness that is different from (and imho better than) ebay or craigslist. So even if I might get a slightly better deal elsewhere, I'd rather make my deal here... paying it back and paying it forward.

What I look for in the Classifieds (and try to put in if/when I'm selling)
- Accurate headline! What's in the listing should match the description and be in the right category.
- Clear and informative description including any/all specs available, description of the condition, relevant info re: the history of the instrument, what is included in the package. Usually it's evident when a seller knows nothing about their instrument.
- Price - at least a ballpark or o.b.o. price. If you really have NO idea at all, you probably haven't done your homework... these days it is easy enough to a little bit of internet sleuthery and get at least a general idea.
- I like pics but if everything else is good and interests me, a lack of pic won't keep me from sending an inquiry. But if a pic is posted, is should be a pick OF the instrument for sale... stock photos are useless. One photo with more available upon inquiring is fine with me.
- preferred mode of communication

This last I mention precisely because of the conversation above. Some of us are very comfortable with email, others not so much. Some of us really want person-to-person, voice-to-voice contact... others are maybe shy or have schedules that make that difficult. If a seller just lists a phone number without saying up front that they really prefer that mode of communication, I'm going to assume email is ok - since this is an ONLINE forum after all, and it seems safe to assume that we all have internet access.

There's a lot of etiquette to this that just hasn't been established yet, and the technology changes so quickly it's hard to keep up.
I think it's important to remember that not everybody is tied to their screens every day, so for some people a "prompt" reply might mean a few days. I think that in the current economic climate you can't really blame sellers for setting asking prices at the high end of the range, nor blame potential buyers for trying to get a better deal. I think it's important not to take any of that stuff personally - just say what's ok with you and not ok and leave it there. If the price is non-negotiable, say so. If someone has said so, respect that boundary.

Really, a lot of this just comes down to respectful communications and remembering that we are not all the same, don't have the same circumstances or resources or skills or priorities. If something strikes you wrong, bugs you or pisses you off, you can always take your business elsewhere.

John Flynn
Jul-16-2012, 3:19pm
I missed the article. How does a cell phone track and record your companions?

Watch a few episodes of "Person of Interest." You'll get your answer pretty quickly. The producers of the series claim it's all based on real technology in use today, not science fiction. That's how the CIA almost got Bin Laden back in '98. A companion's mobile phone. However, "The Man" can track me all he wants. If anyone wants to get really, really BORED, just violate my privacy. I dare ya!

Anyhow, have we not veered way off the point of this thread, which was:

"Has anyone noticed more and more ads with no photos? And with very brief descriptions? Doesn't give one much to go on . . ."

Getting back to that, there is ample research and experience in the area of marketing to show that pictures sell products a lot better than no pictures and good pictures sell better than bad pictures. It's not even a position that can be credibly argued against. Also, there is ample research and experience in the area of marketing to support the adage, "The more you tell, the more you sell" assuming you are telling the right things. So it's also hard to credibly argue against the idea that incomplete or poor descriptions are going to help your chances of selling. Yes, you can sell a mandolin without a picture or a good description and you may have some person reason for not doing either or both. You will, however, tend to be more successful if you do take the time to do both.

Also, this idea of trying avoid low quality responses is questionable from a marketing perspective. If you are selling, you generally want quantity in order get quality. This means if you are selling something effectively, you are going to have to put up with some "gawkers." It's part of the game.

jaycat
Jul-18-2012, 9:55am
Case in point in today's ads: "OLD GIBSON A-STYLE A50 MANDOLIN IN GOOD SHAPE NORMAL WEAR, IF INTERESTED CALL MORGAN MUSIC AT 1-800-869-5559 OR SEND A E-MAIL THANKS BOB."

That is the entire ad! No date, no price, no photo.

Coy Wylie
Jul-18-2012, 11:29am
It's not just sellers that need good communication skills; buyers should also take care to instill confidence to the sellers. As a case in point, I recently had a nice mandolin for sale in the classifieds (now sold) and a potential buyer contacted me by email saying he wanted to buy it. There was no counter offer, no questions about condition, nothing. I sent my phone number and asked him to call me so we could discuss it. Nothing. A few days later I get another email from him. I asked if he knew much about this mandolin and if in fact he had some questions at least about condition that we could discuss. Nothing. I then suggested that things might not be on the up and up and he was quite offended and told me he no longer wanted my mandolin because he had bought a similar instrument elsewhere at a higher price.

In hindsight, he was legit. I explained to him that I was happy he found what he wanted but that in the future he as a potential buyer needed to communicate more clearly with the seller to establish confidence in the deal. Having bought and sold more than my fair share of instruments on line, that was the strangest correspondence I've experienced.

wsugai
Jul-18-2012, 12:58pm
Perhaps they are just interested in people who are serious enough to pick up the phone and call, or send an email inquiry? Neither seems to be much of an effort.

Case in point in today's ads: "OLD GIBSON A-STYLE A50 MANDOLIN IN GOOD SHAPE NORMAL WEAR, IF INTERESTED CALL MORGAN MUSIC AT 1-800-869-5559 OR SEND A E-MAIL THANKS BOB."

That is the entire ad! No date, no price, no photo.

jaycat
Jul-18-2012, 3:44pm
Well, there's a photo up now, in any event.

shortymack
Jul-18-2012, 7:30pm

Willie

I like you willie! I think the same thing alot of times about cel phones and technology in general. What on earth did people do when you used to dial a phone in a circle and either they were home, or it rang and rang or there was the busy signal? Now its google tracking facebook tweets that make people want to know your every breath and if they dont, youre in trouble Mister! We got through just fine then along with having to get off our behinds to change one of the 13 channels on TV. (And Im not even that old, but i still can remember them days)

That being said......pics on a sales ad are still a must IMO.

mandowilli
Jul-18-2012, 10:08pm
The ad is all in CAPS, that shows an effort, of sorts......

pjlama
Jul-23-2012, 4:52pm
I don't get the person who puts up a want ad and there's several examples listed in the 'fieds already.

Benski
Jul-23-2012, 6:07pm
All I know is that if the guys with the nice high-end mandos dont start posting pictures again, I'm going to have to go back to looking at porno.....:grin: