PDA

View Full Version : How to Search for a Specific "multi-word phrase"?

mandocrucian
Jul-12-2012, 2:16pm
What do you do to search for a particular multi-word phrase? When the seach is for a series of individual keywords, the results are far too wide. Do you enclose the phrase with some markings? <> " " etc.......

ie. "Optimal finger pressure" rather than optimal, finger, pressure

Scott Tichenor
Jul-12-2012, 2:50pm
I'd recommend bypassing the forum software and using Google to search for phrases. If you mouse over this link below you'll see how to craft that. This is a very common trick to really drill effectively using Google.

So you'd enter in the Google search field: site:mandolincafe.com/forum "optimal finger pressure"

So that says look under mandolincafe.com/forum and search for a phrase (denoted by surrounding the phrase in quotes).

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:mandolincafe.com/forum+%22Optimal+finger+pressure%22

I know the general expectation is that Forums should be as good a searching themselves as Google, but it's wise to get beyond that paradigm. There's a reason they're the 900 lb. gorilla in search. I use this to search amazon, CNN, and other similar sites.

mandocrucian
Jul-12-2012, 3:23pm
Thanks, Scott. Didn't know if the Cafe search could do it that way or not. If Google does it fast and easy, great - it's just the results that matter.

On some of these recurring Cafe Q&A topics, I know I'll use particular (N.H.) phrases/descriptions (on previous Cafe posts). I'd post a link to my old posts to current retread threads, if I can get to the results with minimal time/effort.

NH

mandocrucian
Nov-07-2019, 7:08pm
Just bumping up this "How-To", so I can find it quickly

mandocrucian
Jul-12-2020, 9:36am
Bumping this up since I'm referencing the topic in a post.

HINT: bookmark it or write it down, or whatever, but members bumping threads they want to have access to is not something we're going to entertain long-term.