PDA

View Full Version : schneider/ elliot mandos

mahlboogie
Dec-31-2004, 12:23pm
For years I've looked for the mando. Went through Gils to Heidens to Gibsons to Tuckers. Spent way to much money on them but most of the time got the money back +. I've learned the sound comes in great part from practice, not searching the internet. I wish I'd spent all the I've been looking practicing on that Stradolin I first bought. It would be one great sounding mando. Anyway, 2 mandos that I haven't seen alot written about but are great mandos at a realistic price are made by Bob Schneider of Portland and Ward Elliot. I have an F Schneider, fairly new that has been opening up quickly because I keep playing it. Can't keep my hands off it. I've had the A since Oct of 2003 and it is an absolute killer. Wide open, Woody, clear. Both these mandos have perfect fit and finish. No kidding. I've now got a teacher and have made alot of progress. I'm off the internet for six months to see if I can turn wasted time into productive sounds. Either of those builders, in my opinion, provide instruments that can make someone sound great. If it is played of course

Pattroglyph
Jan-01-2005, 10:40pm
IMHO I have three Elliott's: a beautiful F model #41 and a black topped A model #45 and a sweet bouzouki #48 which Ward shows on his photo album. Last year, a Jim W. posted photos of Ward's most recent f model the #58 and he even has sound clips on his personal website. Both of my mandolins have been played by some very interesting people who really took interest in the sound they were hearing. I would be glad to relay some of those stories to you if you want (off cafe/send me a note). The black topped oval hole is actually prefered by some of my bluegrass friends during practices because of the mellow, woody qualities. BUT They know that the F model cuts sweetly through any banjo roll no matter how loud. Going OUTDOORS??? yep, the 41 comes along! Quality finish, great craftsmanship, made to your picking needs and accomodating to your visual preferences. I highly recommend this mandolin sculptor. P.S. Both of mine opened up very quickly, of course I play obsessively. hahaha

Jeff A
Jan-02-2005, 3:50pm
Jim, your Elliott is a hoss! I was glad that I had a chance to play it a little this weekend at the Gibson Showroom. Craftsmanship and tone were absolutely first class. Interesting A/B comparasion to Big Joe's Distessed MM. It certainly held it's own. It was a pleasure meeting both of you and a real treat to play both mandos.Thanks guys.

Big Joe
Jan-03-2005, 8:51am
Hey Jeff & Jim...it was great to meet both of you last week. Your Elliot is indeed a great mandolin. Anytime either of you (or any of my other cafe friends) are in the area be sure to stop by. It was great to see both of you and have a Great Day!

dtb
Jan-03-2005, 1:51pm
I've never met Ward personally, but indirectly, I've found his work to be super. A picking friend of mine has one of his A models, I think it's #39, but could be wrong, and it sounds great, and plays like a champ. But I was very impressed with his repair work on guitars. This same friend has a few old Gibson ('18&'42 I think) guitars that when he got, were basically unplayable. But man do they play now. Very nice. I'd love to tickle your mando JimW.

JTG
Jan-03-2005, 7:32pm
I also have owned a Schneider F-style #13 and currently have a Ward Elliott black topped A-style #46. Both are great mandolins. I prefer the tone of the Elliott because I believe it's just a little sweeter sounding in a mic. But the Schneider was very loud and had plenty of punch. The craftsmanship on both mandolins are excellent. I have owned quiet a few mandolins and both Schneider and Elliott rank among the top.

mandocanoe
Jan-06-2005, 8:41am
I'll gladly add my encouragement to anyone interested in an Elliott mandolin. I have an A model (#59) just completed in early December. Working with Ward to define the mando was a real pleasure. He is a true craftsman and artist. Fit and finish could not be better and the sound is just what I was hoping for. He used top quality materials and knows how to get the most out of them. One piece back and red spruce top with a removeable pickguard. I'll post photos soon.

Mike

sam b
Jan-06-2005, 1:17pm
Hey-
Just wanted to share my experience here too. I have a recent Elliott; I think it is the one he made just before Jim's (you can see it on Ward's webpages which you can get to from the "eye candy" page). I could not be happier with it. It is an awesome mandolin. Plus, Ward is great to deal with; he's a terrific guy. I didn't want to go with a sunburst; he sent me up these samples of various stains we could use which was really cool. I felt very involved in the decision process and unbelieveably happy with the results. Could not ask for more mandolin.
Sam