PDA

View Full Version : Convalescing on the Loar

Feb 28 1924
Jul-08-2012, 8:03pm
Thought I'd say howdy by showing off my Loar while the sunshine was out, (rare in England at the moment). After a long time sick, almost 9 months, I've turned the corner now, I decided to try my hand at a couple of tunes convalescing in the garden
There are a few close ups at the end of this YT clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0rJgoeceZo

George R. Lane
Jul-08-2012, 8:20pm
I am glad your are feeling better. I am most impressed with your playing and the tone of your Loar. Keep posting some more videos, I like your style.

Feb 28 1924
Jul-08-2012, 9:09pm
Thank you. Very kind of you. i might try out a Monroe tune or two once I get my chops back.

f5loar
Jul-08-2012, 9:52pm
Nice. Very nice! The video says it was signed on Feb. 28, 1924. Must be a typo because this is Serial No. 75701 signed on Feb. 18, 1924. A very nice example of the early '24 Feb. Loars with the Virzi still intact (No. 10163). It's got just enough honest wear to it that you know it's the real deal and not a newer DMM. Tone is unmistakenable Virzi tone. Good to know it is being played and cared for in England. Come back when you can do some Monroe tunes on it.

Jim
Jul-08-2012, 10:27pm
Enjoyed your playing and your beautiful instrument too. Glad you're feeling better as well.

billkilpatrick
Jul-09-2012, 4:19am
mr. mohan - would you please tell us a little about how you came to own one of these fabulous mandolins. i'd always thought of them as being uniquely american - the sight of one being played in an english garden setting was slightly mind blowing ... for it's an ill wind that blows no minds.

Skip Kelley
Jul-09-2012, 4:20am
Very nice! I pray for a full and speedy recovery!!

Feb 28 1924
Jul-09-2012, 5:04am
Thank you Skip. Really, very much appreciated. If I'm not mistaken you and I go back a few years. My son's lefty F5 King Brown still sits in a lovely case you supplied. They're so hard to find.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-09-2012, 6:00am
It did seem slightly incongruous to see a Loar being played in an English garden.Only slightly less bizzare than knowing that there's a Loar in England at all !.It would be nice to hear it after a bit of a dust off & with some new strings on it.
To the OP - my very best wishes for a full recovery after your illness & come back soon,;)
Ivan~:>

JEStanek
Jul-09-2012, 8:08am
Welcome to the Cafe. May your playing help to speed along your recovery to full health.

Jamie

Feb 28 1924
Jul-09-2012, 8:18am
Very nice detective work. I'm ashamed to say that it's not a typo and that I just forgot what date it actually was. The proof can be seen in my call name "Feb 28 1924". I bought the instrument in September last year while on route around the world. I believe those many TSA scanners have a lot to answer for. I was ill by the time I picked the F5 up. I told the owner to put it on the bed in my hotel room, I looked at it and went to bed after we'd managed coffee. I didn't play it for months, I was that bad. The video represents about the 3rd or 4th time I've managed to play it. We've hardly been introduced. The strings look 30 years old but I like the sound. Now that I'm on the mend I plan to play a lot. Even some classical is on the books.

Feb 28 1924
Jul-09-2012, 8:29am
I'm still trying to find my way around on the forum. I picked the Loar up in Utah during September 2011 and I believe I'm the second owner. It's in lovely condition and has no issues what so ever. It barks loudly but can sound as sweet as honey. It's the most playable mandolin I've ever owned. I'm a totally converted to flat boards. No more radius's/radii? for me. Flat is faster imho. It's no. 75701 with Virzi no. 10163

mtucker
Jul-09-2012, 8:36am
Good to see you're on the mend, brother. Your Loar will bounce back nicely also, the more time it spends with you... play it like you stole it! :grin:;)

Feb 28 1924
Jul-09-2012, 9:36am
Hi Ivan from Manchester. (My birth place). Greetings. If you're up for a jam, whenever you're near Oxford, please give me a holler. flatpicker@bigpond.com

Feb 28 1924
Jul-09-2012, 10:11am
Talking of playing it "like it was stolen", if there's someone who could kidnap Mike Compton and drag him to Oxford, then I'd have someone to show me how to play it. I put a 'hit' out on him once when I lived in Australia. We got him. Twice! :whistling: What a genius player. How sweet is 'Midnight In Rosine'! Starts 48 seconds into the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWDMyBxxpUY

Buck
Jul-09-2012, 11:53am
Thanks for sharing your story and video. All the best in your recovery and quest to get all you can out of that beautiful Loar.

mtucker
Jul-09-2012, 12:10pm
How sweet is 'Midnight In Rosine'! Starts 48 seconds into the video.
Thanks for the youtube ...some very poignant shots of LA, my friend. We're on a tear here in Lala Land to end child hunger and homelessness in the greater basin by year-end 2015! A lot of serious stuff going on with re-development, rehab and training, food banking..weekend meals for children, etc. ...with some luck and a few hail mary's, we just may succeed...

billkilpatrick
Jul-09-2012, 3:47pm
a big, bold, aggressively secular (equally effective) healing thought to you via the internet - one to another.

trevor
Jul-09-2012, 3:57pm
Sounds like it may have come from Leo at Intermountain Guitar and and Banjo. It may the the one I played there. Unfortunately I have only played 3 Loars but that was the best sounding of the three. A great way to convalesce, keep up the good work.

Feb 28 1924
Jul-09-2012, 9:28pm
I have only played 3 Loars but that was the best sounding of the three.

Easily, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the best Loar I've ever played. Mind you, I've never even seen one before.

Top shelf greetings to you Trevor. I remember when you started, was it back in 2002, 2003 when I was building mandos in Melbourne. Congratulations, mate, well done.

Feb 28 1924
Jul-09-2012, 10:10pm
G'day Melvin, just twigged who you are. I'm honoured. I've had the privilege of watching your building career from afar. Congratulations, Sir. Now I see your son builds. Just wonderful!

mtucker
Jul-09-2012, 11:06pm
G'day Melvin, just twigged who you are. I'm honoured. I've had the privilege of watching your building career from afar. Congratulations, Sir. Now I see your son builds. Just wonderful!
I think this is directed at me, and very pleased to meet you, Feb 24! My name is Mark and to my knowledge, I am not related to Melvin Tucker, nor do I have anywhere near the skill/talent to build a mandolin, such as his. I think he's on the East Coast of the U.S. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-10-2012, 6:52am
Hi - I thought that i'd detected an 'Aussie note' in there - hence maybe the Ozz built King Brown mandolin ?. You'll be ok now you're back in England away from all those venemous,biting & stinging critters - & the wild animals as well,:grin:
Ivan
PS - My apologies to all our Aussie members - only kiddin' mate !.;)

Nick Gellie
Jul-10-2012, 8:04am
Ivan, It is pretty much like England here at the moment here in Victoria, Australia. All those nasty biting and venomous critters are in hibernation.

And Feb 28 1924 get better soon. We hope to see a video showing your talent on your Loar.

Feb 28 1924
Jul-10-2012, 8:10am
You'll be ok now you're back in England away from all those venemous,biting & stinging critters - & the wild animals as well,:grin:
There's nothing to compare with the size of the grey rats around here. They sit on their hind legs with their big bushy grey tales flapping over their heads, cracking walnuts right in front of me while fighting off the crows for the crusty bread and popcorn. They're pretty cute. Yep, moved to Oz when I was 7 years old.
Dave Mohan

Feb 28 1924
Jul-10-2012, 8:13am
I am not related to Melvin Tucker, nor do I have anywhere near the skill/talent to build a mandolin, such as his.
I'm equally honoured still, thank you, Mark for getting back to me.

Charles E.
Jul-10-2012, 6:02pm
Feb 28 1924, Beautiful mandolin! I also enjoyed the tenor guitar, a Martin style 5? Very nice playing.

Hendrik Ahrend
Jul-14-2012, 5:41pm
Congrats on your mandolin, Dave; seems to be a great one. Enjoy playing and get well soon!
Kind regards,
Henry

Feb 28 1924
Jul-16-2012, 5:36pm
To all those many, many folks from this forum who said they would be praying for me, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Look what prayer has done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2LmnVapo3I

billkilpatrick
Jul-16-2012, 5:45pm
mamma-mia ...

OldGus
Jul-16-2012, 10:15pm
That's awesome! It seems you have been through a lot and I'm glad to see you are feeling better. I hope this trend continues.