PDA

View Full Version : end pin

John Ritchhart
Feb-22-2004, 9:06am
My end pin is loose. Is it supposed to be glued in there or is it a press fit?

Scotti Adams
Feb-22-2004, 9:48am
Never, ever glue your end-pin in.....either get you a new one and cut it down to size...wrap some tape or something comparable around it if it is too small....but just dont glue it.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

John Ely
Feb-22-2004, 10:59am
And don't bang it in to place - the tapered end pin can act like a wedge and split your tail block. (And, yes, no glue.)

Feb-22-2004, 11:17am
Please dont glue it. Put a piece of masking tape around the endpin to hold it in.

Dave Cohen
Feb-22-2004, 1:24pm
I buy endpins in bags of a dozen at a time. When someone brings in a mandolin for an endpin repair, I just try different ones from the bag until I find one that is snug, then press it in. Though the endpins are supposed to be the same dimensions, they nevertheless vary by a few thousandths. So one endpin from the bag will fit more snugly than another. Thus, if you bring the mandolin to a luthier or repair person, they should be able to find an endpin that fits snugly, and the cost will not be great. But your luthier or repairperson will curse you if you first try to put the old pin back w/ glue.

John Ritchhart
Feb-28-2004, 6:09am
Thanks Guys. It's really great to be able to come here and talk to knowledgeable folks who care enough to respond to a question from someone unknown.

Big Joe
Feb-28-2004, 12:37pm
Just like any other dissimilar woods, the ebony end pin will shrink and swell at a rate different from the tail block in your mandolin. It may be too small today but snug in a few weeks. If you need to do anything, just put a little masking tape on it. The adhesive is not that great and will come off easily when you want it to. It will not stick to the hole but will come out easily and not mar your instrument. Just friction fit the pin with the appropriate degree of tape. Then when needed it can be easily removed.

John Ritchhart
Feb-29-2004, 3:28am
Thanks, Big Joe. My Flatiron thanks you too. Tell Danny it's sounding great and getting even better I think all the time. It'll be a year old March 21st. I should have a party.