PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a 1988 Flatiron A5-Jr neck reset?

harmonist34
Jul-01-2012, 11:10pm
I recently purchased an A5-Jr. Great tone and I really like the look of the thing, but unfortunately I didn't realize that I had nowhere to go with the current bridge to lower the action. It's probably still slightly within "bluegrass specs" but it's pretty hard for me to play, especially up the neck.

I understand there are some options outside of a neck reset like swapping out the bridge or shaving it, but if I decide to go ahead and have the neck reset so it's good to go for the long run...

any recommendations on where to get a fairly early Flatiron repaired? 1988 would have been during the Gibson days, but I'm not inclined to send it to Gibson.

Anybody else had this repair done on a similar era Flatiron?

Andrew

Ben Milne
Jul-02-2012, 4:20am
I think most of the advice you're going to receive is get thy mandolin to a luthier to inspect and form an opinion. A neck reset is pretty major surgery, if all it requires is a decent setup with some bridge adjustments, perhaps slight modifications. Kinda like hitting the doc up to ampute your foot, because your toe hurts... no foot, no toe, no pain... right?
I'm sure plenty of people will chime in with more advise on what to do, where to take it etc, in the mean time, perhaps peruse the resources on the cafe,here's a list of builders (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/builders/searchdb.cgi?uid=default&view_records=1&keyword=indiana&submit=Search) you might consider contacting in Indiana.

Ken Berner
Jul-07-2012, 2:34pm
I would suggest sending your Flatiron to Sound To Earth (Weber) in Logan, MT as they would probably be more familiar with the instrument.