PDA

View Full Version : Mike Compton's Gilchrists

Don Grieser
Jul-01-2012, 8:03pm
After hearing Mike Compton's Gilchrist Model 5 and Model 4 up close and personal the last few days, I don't believe I've heard any better ff hole or oval hole instruments ever. Those two are as good as it gets. And he certainly deserves them and knows how to make them speak.

Rob Fowler
Jul-01-2012, 8:34pm
Nice, Don! Did you guys eat some taters, also? Yukon Golds? Red Creamers? You should post those photos of the Aussie mandolin tasting here, also. Those were pretty mouthwatering pics! Looks like you guys were having some good times!

mtucker
Jul-01-2012, 9:02pm
After hearing Mike Compton's Gilchrist Model 5 and Model 4 up close and personal the last few days, I don't believe I've heard any better ff hole or oval hole instruments ever. Those two are as good as it gets. And he certainly deserves them and knows how to make them speak.
but....but...what about the Duff 'dola and F5?

Don Grieser
Jul-01-2012, 9:20pm
The Duff dola was really great; the Duff F5 wasn't on his trip west. But there's nothing that comes close to his Gilchrist 5 that I've had my hands on. That mandolin is a living breathing monster. And the 4 is just as good.

BTW, he'll be in EDIT San Diego (not LA) the 3rd of July, and in California the next 2 weeks. Check his schedule at www.mikecompton.net

mtucker
Jul-01-2012, 9:25pm
BTW, he'll be in LA the 3rd of July, and in California the next 2 weeks. Check his schedule at www.mikecompton.net
will check that out ...that's a very happy picture of you two, it wouldn't have anything to do with that open bottle of red in the background, would it? j/k! ...many thanks for sharing, Don.

Just checked, San Diego 7/3 and Norcal after that. I was thinking maybe McCabes in Santa Monica... SD is quite a ways from LA...

sgarrity
Jul-01-2012, 10:20pm
July 17th he's playing in Encino and July 18th he'll be doing a house concert in Santa Barbara. I'll be at both.

Mike Bunting
Jul-01-2012, 10:24pm
A couple of years ago I had a face to face (or knee to knee) lesson from Mike in Owensboro and I still swear that his Gil is the strongest most powerful mandolin that I've ever heard.

Shaun, you would be a bigger fool than me if you missed that opportunity!

Don Grieser
Jul-01-2012, 10:43pm
Mike, that's my impression of MC's Gilchrist too. And there's a whole palette of tone colors in it too.

Good for you, Shaun! I've seen MC a lot of times, and his solo show is something you want to see over and over. Powerful playing and singing.

Rob, we did have some organic red baby taters. Tasty!

evanreilly
Jul-01-2012, 10:55pm
And is that a KM-900 you are sporting?

Don Grieser
Jul-01-2012, 11:01pm
Nope, that's a Duff A5. It was an all Aussie mando gathering at my house. 4 Gils/2 Duffs

mtucker
Jul-01-2012, 11:45pm
July 17th he's playing in Encino and July 18th he'll be doing a house concert in Santa Barbara. I'll be at both.
i didn't scan down far enough. Where in Encino?

pjlama
Jul-01-2012, 11:58pm
I played Mike's Gil for a a while yesterday morning and enjoyed it very much. It's similar to the better Gil's I've played, it's close to Don's and 670, it's just been whipped by a special player and heck of a nice guy for 10 years. His F4 is pretty outrageous too, tuned ADAd it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. On Friday night he was closing out the show and asking for a request, me being the giant mando nerd I am asked for Get UP John and got it. I have video of the whole tune, holy smokes, I need to post it for you guys. My weekend went very nicely thanks to Mr. Compton and his PAC rim toys ;)

Mike Bunting
Jul-02-2012, 12:55am
Please post it!

Dave Hanson
Jul-02-2012, 1:13am
Mind you, Mike sounded pretty good when he was still playing that old Gibson A junior.

Dave H

Rob Fowler
Jul-02-2012, 1:53am
Rob, we did have some organic red baby taters. Tasty!

Good, Don. Good!

Man, I sure wish he would come up to Northwestern Cali and not just stop as far north as the California Coast Music Camp. Oh, well....

pjlama
Jul-02-2012, 2:14am
Please post it!

I'll pull it together tomorrow for sure, I just have a lot going on as usual.

almeriastrings
Jul-02-2012, 2:21am
Not to put you under any pressure.....:)) but we want to see that, like, yesterday!

Marty Henrickson
Jul-02-2012, 9:36am
+1 for "POST IT"! :D

Don Grieser
Jul-02-2012, 10:32am
I played Mike's Gil for a a while yesterday morning and enjoyed it very much. It's similar to the better Gil's I've played, it's close to Don's and 670, it's just been whipped by a special player and heck of a nice guy for 10 years.

The first note/chord I played on Mike's 5 just stunned me. Way beyond mine. Mike said I was treating mine too nice, and that's about to change.

pjlama
Jul-02-2012, 11:21am
http://youtu.be/zLk0JPnhHd8

pjlama
Jul-02-2012, 11:23am
This was shot with my iPhone so not the greatest but you get the idea. After the song he handed me his mandolin and told me to tune it :) It was worth the trouble. I have some other tunes, I'll upload them when I have time.

mandomurph
Jul-02-2012, 11:38am
AWESOME!!!!!!!

Mike handed me his Gil once after a concert and I was so shocked and stunned I couldn't think of a single tune worthy of playing so I just held it for a about a minute and gave right back to him. It had a great feel to it. Hope I get another chance some day.

CES
Jul-02-2012, 12:47pm
And people say mandolin isn't enough to carry a solo show by itself...I could listen to that all day long!! Just awesome!

Thanks for posting the vid!

pjlama
Jul-02-2012, 3:51pm
I really enjoyed his singing too. He alternates instrumental tunes with vocal ones so as a solo performance it rolls along nicely.

Don Grieser
Jul-02-2012, 3:55pm
Mike invited Jon Pickens and me to join him at the start of the show out here. We got to run through it once during soundcheck. I think you can hear the difference in the mandolins (and the players).

wbCOFrKJNj8

Tim W
Jul-02-2012, 4:10pm
Years ago the day before he left for the "Down From The Mountain" tour, I stopped by to take him to lunch. We got to talking about that tune and that I wanted to learn it and I just happened to have my F5 laying in the back seat.

He tuned it for me to "git up John tuning" on the way to Cracker Barrel and it stayed in that tuning for probably 6 months. Thanks for posting that video PJ, I haven't heard him play it before I don't believe.

Jonathan James
Jul-02-2012, 4:30pm
Mike's the best....great picker, great guy, good sense of humor, and fantastic taste in hats. What more could you ask for?

Really wish he'd do a DVD tutorial series on his Monroe-style approach...Happy Traum, you listening??

Mike Bunting
Jul-02-2012, 4:35pm
What a thrill!

Don Grieser
Jul-02-2012, 4:48pm
What a thrill! Yep, and as much fun as I've had playing music. :grin:

mtucker
Jul-02-2012, 6:02pm
Yep, and as much fun as I've had playing music. :grin:
very nice, Don. You sure looked like you were having fun! Both Gil's sounded great...although Compton's has been played into submission.

Dave Hanson
Jul-03-2012, 2:30am
Wonderful.

Dave H

Wilbur James
Jul-03-2012, 6:39am
Thanks for sharing, mike is an inspiration, I believe he is a living library of styles and songs and thank goodness he strives to keep those ancient tones alive, also not a bad mandolin he plays out the songs in his head. I have had the privilege of sitting in front of him on a few occasions, one memory that sticks out is when he played "The old gray mare came tearing out of the wilderness" it was awesome, he is a very nice gentleman as well!

Perry
Jul-03-2012, 7:37am
Really wish he'd do a DVD tutorial series on his Monroe-style approach...Happy Traum, you listening??

I often hoped for the same thing but when I took webcam lessons from Mike Compton I recorded them per Mike's suggestion. Now I have a library of personalized Monroe instruction videos. There's always some nuance to learn even after repeated viewing.

Still a high quality Homespun Compton DVD would be purchased by myself immediately.

MC handed me his "5" once too..he seems to do that a lot :) My first impression was how broken in it felt and sounded.

JEStanek
Jul-03-2012, 7:57am
I took these last summer at our Philadelphia Folk Festival. He said the wood came from a log on Sigorney Weaver's property IIRC. I wish I had asked to play it. I was feeling tallent low. Stupid mistake. How often will I have an opportunity like that again?

As magnificent as it was to see and shoot it up close, it was more fun watching and listening to Mike play it up close.

Jamie

Marty Henrickson
Jul-03-2012, 9:11am
Thanks for sharing the videos, PJ and Don! The one chance I had to meet Mike, I got too distracted by spotting and talking to Roland White to approach MC.

AlanN
Jul-03-2012, 9:19am
I often hoped for the same thing but when I took webcam lessons from Mike Compton I recorded them per Mike's suggestion. Now I have a library of personalized Monroe instruction videos. There's always some nuance to learn even after repeated viewing.

Still a high quality Homespun Compton DVD would be purchased by myself immediately.

Somewhere in the stack I have a semi-professionally-filmed video of Mike showing his thing. He was in a classroom, there was a blackboard in the background. Must be an hour+ long DVD. And there was disclaimer crawl which basically said 'Freely copy and share'.

Anyone remember/have this?

Marty Henrickson
Jul-03-2012, 9:30am
Alan, that almost sounds like a command! :))

AlanN
Jul-03-2012, 9:48am
Just askin' if anyone remembers that, it was several years ago that I watched it and the memory is admittedly faint.

Don Grieser
Jul-03-2012, 9:58am
Alan, that was recorded at Kaufman--Mike's presentation on the Old/Lonesome tunes. I think the DVD said it shouldn't be sold but you should send Mike some $ if you got one and were learning from it.

Fred G
Jul-03-2012, 11:29am
Alan, that was recorded at Kaufman--Mike's presentation on the Old/Lonesome tunes. I think the DVD said it shouldn't be sold but you should send Mike some $ if you got one and were learning from it.

I think that is what it says. I might have it somewhere if someone wants PM me.

Mike Bunting
Jul-03-2012, 1:11pm
Somewhere in the stack I have a semi-professionally-filmed video of Mike showing his thing. He was in a classroom, there was a blackboard in the background. Must be an hour+ long DVD. And there was disclaimer crawl which basically said 'Freely copy and share'.

Anyone remember/have this?
Yes, I do. To avoid him being flooded with emails, I won't name the member who had them, he can respond if he wants to. I believe it was shot at a Kaufman camp some years ago and were available through this member for a donation to MC hisself.

blauserk
Jul-03-2012, 10:35pm
Thanks for posting the pictures and video, Don (and PJ)! You sounded great, Don. The fact that you stood on stage and played with Compton and did not burst into flame is more than most mortals could have done.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some photos to save to my hard drive.

pjlama
Jul-03-2012, 10:54pm
My pleasure, I'll post some more from the concert but they are only sections of tunes when I get a chance.

Don Grieser
Jul-05-2012, 12:11pm
Here's the start of the second set out at Music Beneath the Mesa. The moon broke through the clouds, and there's a bit of light still on the rock on the mesa. This is about the best place I know to see live music.

Eckk6GQtcuE

Earlier in the show, while it was still light, you could see the moon. Mike called Lonesome Moonlight Waltz. Wish I had had the chance to run through it a couple times more recently than I had. I made it through with just a few brain #####.

fMHHXU9xHfw

Marty Henrickson
Jul-06-2012, 10:17am
Thanks for sharing the videos, Don! How great you got to play onstage with Mike!

RobP
Jul-06-2012, 10:48am
That was real nice don!

Mike invited Jon Pickens and me to join him at the start of the show out here. We got to run through it once during soundcheck. I think you can hear the difference in the mandolins (and the players).

wbCOFrKJNj8

tuhker
Jul-06-2012, 11:17am
What is the F5 S/N? I have 03539 and think I heard they were "in the same batch" for what that's worth.

pjlama
Jul-06-2012, 11:50am
What is the F5 S/N? I have 03539 and think I heard they were "in the same batch" for what that's worth.

He said that one is 10 years old and yours is a 93' so not likely.

tuhker
Jul-06-2012, 12:14pm
He said that one is 10 years old and yours is a 93' so not likely.

Mine is 03.

pjlama
Jul-06-2012, 12:31pm
Sorry my bad Dave. So it's probably very likely. Steve would know, he's always quick to respond to email, info@gilchristmandolins.com

pjlama
Jul-06-2012, 12:32pm
BTW Mikes mandolin is a hoss. I think the driver puts some heavy mojo in it.

Don Grieser
Jul-06-2012, 12:43pm
I made some notes as we had them all spread out on the table. Mike's Model 5 is #536, so it could very well be from the same batch as yours. His Model 4 is #565. His two Gilchrist mandolins are the best of the best.

Here's his 4 in action.

_5sydUpijxw

PS are you the same dave berry from the old CoMando days?

tuhker
Jul-06-2012, 1:51pm
I made some notes as we had them all spread out on the table. Mike's Model 5 is #536, so it could very well be from the same batch as yours. His Model 4 is #565. His two Gilchrist mandolins are the best of the best.

Here's his 4 in action.

_5sydUpijxw

PS are you the same dave berry from the old CoMando days?

Cool tune, yes that be me. I think I still have your old 4 track cassette machine some-where's downstairs ;) I'm going to his workshop tomorrow so maybe he'll do a quick comparison.

Don Grieser
Jul-06-2012, 2:07pm
Cool. That old Fostex(?) 4 track made some good sounding recordings.

Take some photos at the workshop. I'd love to see the two side by side.

Perry
Jul-06-2012, 7:58pm
Don great quality videos. Really nice backdrop on that stage! MC has really got that solo vocal mandolin thing going great. Nice job hanging with the Tater! All your Gils sound "right" but of course.

ninevah
Jul-07-2012, 8:05am
How is Mike's Gilchrist F4 braced? The Gibson single transverse brace?

Don Grieser
Jul-07-2012, 10:19am
Yes, the single transverse brace. Gilchrist uses that bracing on his Model 1s as well.

Elliot Luber
Jul-07-2012, 11:03am
This was shot with my iPhone so not the greatest

YouTube lets you edit the video on-line. In particular you can lower the contrast to lighten the foreground. It's actually not so hard to do, but thanks for posting this -- it SOUNDS fantastic! Wish I could play with ease like that.

MarkusSpiel
Mar-06-2016, 2:04pm
Nope, that's a Duff A5. It was an all Aussie mando gathering at my house. 4 Gils/2 Duffs

Together 100 K? :D

pointpergame
Mar-06-2016, 3:49pm
It is a delight to see what joy we take in these odd little wooden boxes. Isn't it?

JonZ
Mar-06-2016, 4:10pm
He said the wood came from a log on Sigorney Weaver's property.

Well, that explains the mojo right there.

I'm always skeptical of these "best ever" descriptions. People hear what they expect to hear. But it doesn't generally pan out when blind testing is done.

I'm sure it's a fine mandolin.

Rick Albertson
Mar-06-2016, 7:38pm
Nice, Don. Wish I'd been there. We'll see Mike this weekend.