PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new mando.. suggestions?

mahoganyfolk.com
Jun-29-2012, 11:39am
Hey guys im currently using a rogue mando, any suggestions for the next step up from that? I dont need to spend a lot of money.

G7MOF
Jun-29-2012, 12:05pm
I'm looking for an F style to play rock music on, I could do with maker suggestions as well!!!
P.S Sorry for linking to your thread.

JEStanek
Jun-29-2012, 12:08pm
Please give us a budget to work off of. That makes meaningful suggestions easier to offer.

Jamie

mahoganyfolk.com
Jun-29-2012, 2:40pm
probabky under 300, my current one was only $39

Dan Co1e
Jun-29-2012, 4:21pm
The Eastman 305 is a great mandolin for the money but is going to run about $420 if you can find one locally.

mandroid
Jun-29-2012, 4:36pm
Hmm , might be a possibility of an all mahogany built by Cumberland Acoustics, or big Muddy
both in the flat top, army-navy style , or Floodtone out of the Vegas area,
he builds with a bent top, like Martin went to, after making Bowl backs in their PA company.

Folkmusician.com
Jun-29-2012, 5:49pm
While the Rogue is not a great mandolin, it is still a pretty remarkable deal for $40.00. Many of the sub-$200 mandolins will not be significantly better. As you move up past the $200 mark, you do start to get into better sounding instruments as long as you get the right one. Playability will be based on the setup, so spending $300 will not necessarily get you improved playability. It depends on where you buy the mandolin. I would suggest one of The Kentucky's, if you stick below $300. Get it from a good dealer or find a local luthier to do the setup, then hunt down the best price. :)

Elliot Luber
Jun-29-2012, 8:08pm
I would look for a used mandolin and you'll get more value. Like a big muddy an Eastman, etc..

JEStanek
Jun-29-2012, 9:26pm
Are you a blue grass player? If so, I would recommend an archtopped f hole mandolin in the A style. Forget the scroll until you have more money. At $300, it will be a challenge to find a used Big Muddy/ Mid Missouri mandolin but they are really wonderful. As flat top/back instruments with round soundholes they'll sound quite different from what you're currently hearing. I love my flat to/back instrument. It's my favorite.

Jamie

Brutus1999
Jun-30-2012, 8:06am
Well, there're two DIFFERENT posters who have the same question but might be looking for different answers.

Since this topic has been covered about a billion times on this site, usually not in the equipment section, it most certainly is worth going through the forum's archives. But okay, here we go again. Ya gotta know what sound you want: fast bluegrass, or fast jazz, or slower folk? Rock? Are you going to use a pickup? For fast bluegrass and jazz, do you want more of a "pure tone" or do you want more of a ringing sustain? Do you want to be able to do the rhythmic bluegrass backup percussive "chop"? For the "cleaner, pure tone" (though you CAN get some sweet ringing too) and for the bluegrass rhythm chop, you will most likely need one with f-holes. Ya gotta know what sound ya want ....

How important is the scroll (which on any decent instrument will add 30%-50% to the basic cost?) For under $300, if you are looking for a bluegrass or "fast jazz" sound with cleaner tone and not too much "complex" sustain, you'll want an F-HOLE in a non-scroll A model. Probably a used SOLID TOP Kentucky or Loar 220 would be a major step up from the Rouge into an "intermediate" level. If you want the richer, fuller sound, then you want a ROUND HOLE mandolin, and there are a number of choices.

If you really want a scroll, for $300, you can probably get a decent scroll -- with no mandolin attached. Just the scroll.

But in any case, you have to play the mando, or the same model, because if the neck doesn't work for you, the mandolin won't work for you.

For G7MOF -- well, the same questions somewhat hold for you. Rock music could use round hole or f-holes, though f-holes would probably have less feedback through a mic. Since you have a Gibson, you probably are willing to spend more -- if you have $1000 --$5000 USD there are many, many possibilities -- too many to list in one message. In rock music, especially harder, louder rock, I wonder if the subtle differences in initial sound quality as one goes up the price ladder even mean much ...

And to repeat the chant: poor setup can make an expensive, great mandolin play like junk and sound like junk .... so unless it is pre-owned AND was set up well (another possible advantage to used, by the way...), plan on spending at least another $50 (or some hours studying and practicing and having the tools to set up the mando.)

Pete Summers
Jun-30-2012, 9:03am
The Kentucky KM161 is available from Folkmusician for $319, including setup and shipping, according to their web site. I know Kentucky mandolins have a good reputation on this site. I have a lovely and rare Kentucky pancake that I dearly love.

Folkmusician also lists the Rover RM50 carved wood model for $170, setup and shipped -- however, it appears to be on back order and has been for some time. Seems like Saga can't keep this model in stock, which must say something, though I'm not sure what. I owned one and found it to a very nice instrument for that price range - light, easy to play, well made, attractive and with a nice woody tone.

Both of the above are good starter mandolins and a step up from the Rogue. However, I agree with Robert Fear -- the Rogue ain't half bad if setup correctly, and is a bargain hard to beat. It won't win any tone contests by any means, but IMO, it plays well, sounds like a mandolin, and is remarkably consistent in quality. I've owned two (since sold) and played them a lot.
:mandosmiley:

Paul Busman
Jun-30-2012, 9:38am
I would look for a used mandolin and you'll get more value. Like a big muddy an Eastman, etc..

Agreed. In fact the classifieds right here on Mandocafe often have some terrific values. There's a WANTED section where you can ask for what you're looking for. Sometimes someone has just that right instrument that they've been meaning to sell but never got around to.

Paul Busman
Jun-30-2012, 9:45am
I'm looking for an F style to play rock music on, I could do with maker suggestions as well!!!
P.S Sorry for linking to your thread.

If you want to spend $4K, there's a really likely candidate in the classifieds right now. Really gorgeous Gibson F model with built in pickup.

drbluegrass
Jul-08-2012, 10:26am
Loar, Eastman, Stonebridge, Kentucky.

Tom

Turnip Mountain Picker
Jul-10-2012, 4:31pm
I have a loar and an eastman but my favorite is a KM. Also look at the A's same sound, less money!