PDA

View Full Version : Hogan #15 has arrived!

Miked
Jun-28-2012, 6:17pm
After starting this project a couple years ago, it has finally arrived! Adrian Minarovic, known here as HoGo, completed #15, shipped it on Monday from Slovakia and it is now here. A replica of a '23 F-5 with a few custom features (radiused fretboard, Alessi tuners, James tailpiece, scooped extension...), it's a special instrument. Adrian is the consummate perfectionist and went out of his way in so many areas of this build. He was always really good about answering questions and would write very detailed and informative responses. It was definitely an educational process for me since this is my first experience with a custom build. I'd have to say that my first experience was a really good one, although I'll know for certain by tomorrow. Adrian said no opening up the package until it has acclimated for 24 hours, so I wait... :whistling:

Jim Hilburn
Jun-28-2012, 6:28pm
Come on! Open it!

mtucker
Jun-28-2012, 6:35pm
24 hours ... on what planet? Open it and give us some pics!

ellisppi
Jun-28-2012, 6:35pm
open the package

Max Girouard
Jun-28-2012, 6:58pm
Even the little pup can't wait to see it!

robert.najlis
Jun-28-2012, 7:03pm
haha, you guys are terrible. Let him wait. (did you open it yet?)

Miked
Jun-28-2012, 7:35pm
Ok, here's a compromise, although I realize that this doesn't prove what's in the box. Here are a few shots that Adrian took:

nobullmando74
Jun-29-2012, 9:13am
Sure would be a shame if you open it up and there was a different mandolin inside. :disbelief: Seriously I'm looking forward to the photos tonight. :popcorn:

Charles E.
Jun-29-2012, 4:55pm
Geeze, I hope it does'nt arrive with the strings sticking out like that.

Denny Gies
Jun-29-2012, 5:22pm
Take two aspirin and open it in the morning.

Tim W
Jun-29-2012, 6:22pm
Leave it shut, there's a black topped Kentucky KM1000 in there with a busted top! Oh open it already.

nobullmando74
Jun-29-2012, 6:37pm
Yeah you're late!:crying:

Miked
Jun-29-2012, 8:17pm
I finally got home; sometimes the day job gets in the way of these important occasions!

I carefully unwrapped the package since Adrian used some of his old Loar plans. I wanted to keep those intact as much as possible; kind of a nice souvenir.

Sorry, no KM1000, but one gorgeous Hogan and Adrian did trim the strings.;) Got 'er tuned up and it does have a nice vibe although it needs some new strings. Adrian warned we that they were dead, so I'll change strings tomorrow. It has really good playability with the action set fairly low, but you can also dig into it without it buzzing.

I tried to take some pictures with our real camera that we rarely use (amazing that most of the time we settle for crappy cell phone snapshots). All I need to do is find the USB chord and I'll get those pictures posted, I promise!

nobullmando74
Jun-29-2012, 8:20pm
Mike I was starting to think you opened it up and there was an IOU note in the case.
:))

Miked
Jun-29-2012, 9:32pm
Well, here's the proof and I have my witnesses there in the first shot! Really nice job of packing with the styrofoam case and Loar plans. By the way, the mandolin was wrapped in a cotton t-shirt and the pick-guard was not attached during shipment.;)

nobullmando74
Jun-29-2012, 10:48pm
Looks really nice. I was looking for a link for information about the builder through google. Could you let me know how to find out more about them? Thanks,

Paul Statman
Jun-30-2012, 9:40am
Congratulations, Mike! What a score! Well done you and Adrian.

Miked
Jun-30-2012, 9:45am
Hey Matthew,

Adrian is a math teacher, so this isn't his full-time gig. The best way to reach him is a private message with his Cafe username HoGo. Here's his information in the Builder Database (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/builders/searchdb.cgi?uid=default&view_records=1&keyword=HoGo&submit=Search) section.

Miked
Jun-30-2012, 9:52am
Congratulations, Mike! What a score! Well done you and Adrian.

Thanks, mandopixie!

Steve-o
Jun-30-2012, 10:04am
Very nice Mike. Congrats. I like the subtle burst and the custom appointments. I'm curious how you learned of Adrian and decided to order from an overseas builder.

Miked
Jun-30-2012, 10:14am
While I'm at it, most folks here are familiar with the plans that Adrian put together for the '23 Gibson F-5, but for those of you who are not, here's the listing on Elderly Instruments website (http://elderly.com/books/items/656-1.htm).

Also, here are the specs and information that Adrian provided on my mandolin:

"What you are getting: Completely handmade F-5 style mandolin constructed as close as possible to Early '23 Gibson specs. I don't intend to build perfect instrument. Truly hand-made one will always show some imperfections. I aim to get the feel and vibe of vintage Loar mandolins instead of perfection.
Top wood: "Carpathian" spruce (our local) - I should note that there is debate whether the early Loars were made with european spruce (the original brochure states clearly Norway spruce- back then common name for european imported for violins as there were few instrument wood suppliers in US back then), Loars till July 9 batch have nice tight grain finely quartered while later often show wider and more off quarter wood - that's probably when they started using red spruce lumber.
Top and back arching as close as possible to April '23 Loar, as well as neck shape.
Back and sides: Red maple from Michigan (Bruce Harvie), Back is one piece slab, sides from the same tree.
Neck: Red maple and Ebony sandwich. (Loars with three piece necks used ebonized hardwood or ebony unlike F-4s that have just thin strip of ebonized wood inlaid in the back of neck) Body blocks: Walnut (one of the differences from Loar, it's properties are very similar to Honduran Mahogany in originals which is
endangered)
Linings: Basswood
Headstock veneer: Black dyed pearwood (Loars were black painted, but I like to see the wood underneath, not just paint)
Fingerboard: ebony (slightly compound radiused), 29 fret with fake frets on scooped extension- shape of extension is also authentic with the "hump"
Construction: All hide glue construction with dovetailed neck (even in the authentic off center fashion). Hand carved plates with standard tonebar construction (Loar style bars). Hand-stained sunburst with brushed oil varnish and french polished gloss coat. Body points are unbleached cow bone dovetailed into bindings in the correct style, Body bindings are WBI "top-bound" scheme with period-correct miters.
Inlays are authentic style Flowerpot and fingerboard dots. Side dots are black (originals had also dark tortoise) Bridge is handmade of ebony with titanium posts and aluminum thumbwheels Custom Alessi tuners with arrow end plates and pearl buttons.
Feed and care: this mandolin was constructed in controlled environment of 23-25 degrees Celsius and relative humidity kept between 45-50%.
Best conditions for storing would be at similar or at slightly higher RH 55%. Instrument should not be exposed to heat or humidity lower that 40% or higher than 65%. Low humidity is more dangerous than higher. Good, RELIABLE hygrometer is nice thing to have. see:
http://www.burgessviolins.com/humidity.html for more info.
Varnish: Oil varnish and french polish will never look and behave similarly to lacquer. Varnish is soft and will dent, scratch and vear much easier and faster. This varnish is hand applied and has some surface texture of its own (like smooth leather) and with curing it shows more texture of wood underneath (this final curing is slow process and may take months). The varnish is susceptible to heat, acidic sweat and many chemicals especially aggressive thinners like alcohol or acetone. Naphtha or distilled water are safe. if you need to clean the surface use clean dry microfiber cloth or dampened with distilled (deionized) water. The French polish over oil varnish will sooner or later show signs of aging. Especially on the areas exposed to handling (players with acidic sweat within one year) tiny surface crazing may occur and add authentic patina to the instrument this may be refreshed by french polishing session but will show up again later.
For maintenance a good quality polish can be used sparingly (people have good experience with Jubilee polish). The mandolin as shipped has NO WAX or anything on it (so you can use your favorite brand of polish on unadulterated surface), just pure shellac as polished/burnished by friction of my palm and fingers (see frets.com french polishing to see how I work) I use no sandpaper or abrasive polishes for final stages (just in inaccessible places like near fingerboard extension). Pure shellac takes/shows greasy fingerprints easily and with light application of polish it will look better for longer time.
I hope I didn't forget anything, feel free to ask more.

Miked
Jun-30-2012, 10:24am
Very nice Mike. Congrats. I like the subtle burst and the custom appointments. I'm curious how you learned of Adrian and decided to order from an overseas builder.

When I got interested in having a custom build, I had a short list of several builders that are listed here in the Builders Database. I was almost ready to pull the trigger a couple times with local builders, but then Adrian's knowledge of woods, his work on the Loar plans and some referrals kind of tipped the scale. For someone who does this part-time, his knowledge and skill is pretty amazing.

I was a little concerned about the practicality of it all with Euro to Dollar exchange rate and importing issues, but everything worked out just fine.

William Smith
Jun-30-2012, 10:28am
Awesome if she's anything likehis plans well then you have a pretty darn great soundin machine!:grin:

nobullmando74
Jun-30-2012, 2:03pm
Hey Matthew,

Adrian is a math teacher, so this isn't his full-time gig. The best way to reach him is a private message with his Cafe username HoGo. Here's his information in the Builder Database (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/builders/searchdb.cgi?uid=default&view_records=1&keyword=HoGo&submit=Search) section.
Thanks Mike. Do you mind telling me what his F models go for?

Eddie Blevins
Jun-30-2012, 3:24pm
That is really awesome. Can we expect to hear it soon?

pickinNgrinnin
Jun-30-2012, 4:40pm
Mike,

Congratulations on your new Hogan! Another outstanding job by Adrian. I was thinking you should be seeing this one arrive pretty soon. I own Adrian's number 7 and it was built in 2007. It was on the tight side tone wise when I first played it but the Mandolin has really developed over the past 5 years. The color of our bursts look pretty similiar. Yours is just drop dead gourgeous. Mine was packed in the same type of styrofoam case but I didn't have to mess with any paperwork when it arrived to the country. Times have appeared to change on that front. The Headstock on mine has a bit of a slimmer profile. He used his old forms on mine and I think there are subtle differences between the old forms and his new ones. Perhaps Adrian will weigh in on this thread.

I love the idea that his Mandolins are truely hand made. I don't think he uses any power tools in the construction process, just 18th century hand tools. Adrian's knowledge of Loars and building in general is quite impressive. I feel very fortunate to own one of Adrian's Mandolins and I'm sure you feel the same way. The building process was an education for me and Adrian communicated with me on a practical daily basis. I hold him in the highest regard as a builder and an all around great guy. Although he states his goal is to not achieve perfection, his Mandolins compare very favorably with many of the top builders out there today.

I'm sure some new strings will make this one really sing. I played mine almost daily for the first 3 years and like I've said, it has really developed. I had Jim Triggs install fretboard dots last year and he also did a set up. He raised the bridge a bit and the Mandolin really barks. Quite powerful yet sings so sweetly.

I'm excited for you Mike as I know you've waited to get this one but by looking at the pictures, the Mandolin was well worth the wait. I'll look forward to hearing updates as it develops. Play he heck out of it and enjoy! Adrian knocked this one out of the park.

John Soper
Jul-01-2012, 6:42am
Seriously good looking mandolin. Having followed the threads on HoGo's Loar plans, I'm sure it will mature into a very Loar-ish sounding instrument. If I recall, however, the scooped Florida wasn't in the original plans :) ... Have fun with your new instrument and post sound clips if you can!

Miked
Jul-02-2012, 11:14am
Thanks Mike. Do you mind telling me what his F models go for?

Looking through my old correspondence, it was 7/13/09 that I received a quote, so things could have changed since then. Probably best to contact Adrian, although he's been on vacation and should be getting back on the 4th.

Miked
Jul-02-2012, 11:54am
Mike,

Congratulations on your new Hogan! Another outstanding job by Adrian. I was thinking you should be seeing this one arrive pretty soon. I own Adrian's number 7 and it was built in 2007. It was on the tight side tone wise when I first played it but the Mandolin has really developed over the past 5 years. The color of our bursts look pretty similiar. Yours is just drop dead gourgeous. Mine was packed in the same type of styrofoam case but I didn't have to mess with any paperwork when it arrived to the country. Times have appeared to change on that front. The Headstock on mine has a bit of a slimmer profile. He used his old forms on mine and I think there are subtle differences between the old forms and his new ones. Perhaps Adrian will weigh in on this thread.

I love the idea that his Mandolins are truely hand made. I don't think he uses any power tools in the construction process, just 18th century hand tools. Adrian's knowledge of Loars and building in general is quite impressive. I feel very fortunate to own one of Adrian's Mandolins and I'm sure you feel the same way. The building process was an education for me and Adrian communicated with me on a practical daily basis. I hold him in the highest regard as a builder and an all around great guy. Although he states his goal is to not achieve perfection, his Mandolins compare very favorably with many of the top builders out there today.

I'm sure some new strings will make this one really sing. I played mine almost daily for the first 3 years and like I've said, it has really developed. I had Jim Triggs install fretboard dots last year and he also did a set up. He raised the bridge a bit and the Mandolin really barks. Quite powerful yet sings so sweetly.

I'm excited for you Mike as I know you've waited to get this one but by looking at the pictures, the Mandolin was well worth the wait. I'll look forward to hearing updates as it develops. Play he heck out of it and enjoy! Adrian knocked this one out of the park.

Thanks, Jeff!

I really liked the looks of your #7, and Adrian had the same stain available, so that what he used. I'll throw in a couple shots here of what it looked like when he was applying the stain:

On the power tools thing, I believe that Adrian does use some, but most of the work is done with hand tools. He was going to try some of the work by CNC, but I think there was an issue with the software and he had to scrap that one.

I really did enjoy the process of communicating with Adrian along the way and he was super about sending pictures and explaining all the details. I kept all the emails and the pictures, so it's kind of neat to go back and see the development.

I'll work on some sound files so you can hear how she sings!

Miked
Jul-02-2012, 12:02pm
Seriously good looking mandolin. Having followed the threads on HoGo's Loar plans, I'm sure it will mature into a very Loar-ish sounding instrument. If I recall, however, the scooped Florida wasn't in the original plans :) ... Have fun with your new instrument and post sound clips if you can!

Yes, the scooped Florida is a deviation, but I don't know how these things can be played without being scooped. I guess it has something to do with good technique that I apparently don't have.

Sound clips on the way, eventually.;)

greg_tsam
Jul-02-2012, 1:01pm
~~~Instrument should not be exposed to heat or humidity lower that 40% or higher than 65%.

Guess I won't ever be able to own one of those then since I live in a veritable swamp land. It's not uncommon for us to have high temps (90-105 F) and high humidity (90-100%) at the same time.

Skip Kelley
Jul-06-2012, 12:33pm
Mike, Congratulations! That is one sweet looking F5!