PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a KY KM-615

jimf
Jun-28-2012, 5:12pm
Hi y'all,
I'm brand new here. I've been reading various posts here for a while. - great group here:). I'm a 40 year playing guitar player starting to learn mandolin. I've been learning on an old 70s Harmony and want to upgrade. I've found a used Kentucky KM-615 for $425. Does anyone have opinions on these?

Thx so much for the input!!

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-29-2012, 1:45am
Is that the one for sale at Elderley Instruments ?.Kentucky brand instruments have mostly had a good press on here.I've played only one,an "A" style KM-505 & it was excellent.The "A" style KM-900 which sells for a lot more,is regarded as a superb instrument.It's hard to think that the KM-615 would be a poor quality instrument.I hope other players who've played more Kentucky's than i have will chip in here,
Ivan

houseworker
Jun-29-2012, 2:06am
It has to be the one at Elderly, since Kentucky don't seem to have ever made a KM-615, and I presume there's been a typo somewhere. At $425 you can hardly go wrong, but you'd need to ask Elderly to quote for the setup work and factor that additional cost into your thinking.

I doubt that mandolin will hang around too long, you'll probably need to move quickly.

jimf
Jun-29-2012, 8:29am
yes, it is the one at Elderly. I put a hold on it to check it out. That's a good point ,on the typo. I could find reviews on the 620, but nothing on the 615... The KM620 reviews look great, although it sounds like the top is laminate (bummer). .... but can't expect alot for this price. thx!

houseworker
Jun-29-2012, 9:36am
yes, it is the one at Elderly. I put a hold on it to check it out. That's a good point ,on the typo. I could find reviews on the 620, but nothing on the 615... The KM620 reviews look great, although it sounds like the top is laminate (bummer). .... but can't expect alot for this price. thx!

If you're lucky it's the KM675, that's the more likely typo, and the instrument looks a good match (http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KM675.htm).

jimf
Jun-29-2012, 11:48am
now that would be cool! I'll keep you posted. thx much

Folkmusician.com
Jun-29-2012, 12:02pm
It does look like a KM-675S made somewhere between 2003-2006.

jimf
Jun-29-2012, 8:15pm
I think I did something wrong on the reply earlier, but Ichecked it out. It is in fact a KM675. Unfortunately, the neck was fixed and repaired o.k., but cosmetically, it looks really bad behind the nut. So, I just don't want to pull the trigger on this.
I did find a Michael Kelly Legacy O that plays great and sounds good to my guitar trained ears. I don't play bluegrass so an oval seems fine to me.... I'm in research mode again. :). My experience with Korean made instruments is that they are typically a good value. thx for your opinions. this is a cool forum

houseworker
Jun-30-2012, 12:20am
I think I did something wrong on the reply earlier, but I checked it out. It is in fact a KM675. Unfortunately, the neck was fixed and repaired o.k., but cosmetically, it looks really bad behind the nut. So, I just don't want to pull the trigger on this.

I'm disappointed for you, that had looked like a real find. I'm also disappointed that Elderly's online description is less than frank, I'd have expected better of them.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-30-2012, 1:29am
Take time to check out the Kentucky KM-505 model. Ok,i know it's not got a scroll,but the one i played DID have the SOUND - that's far more important. As i mentioned before,it's big brother,the KM-900 is widely regarded as one of the best mid-priced "A" styles you can buy. Take my word for it ( or not !),what you need is a good sounding instrument that plays well,something to make you 'want to play' & progress.Then, you take your next step & buy a 'serious' mandolin. Many top players inc.my own favourite picker,John Reischman, play "A" styles as well as "F" styles. Most knowlegeable players on here agree that a good "A" style is as good as a good "F" style,& usually for much less cash. Here's a clip of a guy with no scroll envy whatsoever - Joe Walsh

Ivan;)
http://youtu.be/5QRxd7EXk_o

jimf
Jun-30-2012, 5:31pm
I agree. I actually set out to buy an A because of the cost. I played the KM 505 and playability, finish, are similar. (good for the price). The tone on this 505 was not great however. The Michael Kelly left it in the dust, possibly just because it's older...
So, I put an offer on the Michael Kelly. ( it's consignment) I think their $600 price is a tad high. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it's still fun to keep shopping. Definitely an upgrade from my old Harmony. If I get my skill set up, then maybe look at the next level down the road.:)