PDA

View Full Version : New Weber Gallatin A

Gene Summers
Jun-27-2012, 7:20pm
Changed pictures

Gene Summers
Jun-27-2012, 7:32pm
What a beauty! I just picked it up Saturday afternoon at a local music store in town. Great little mandolin! I'm enjoying my first Weber! :mandosmiley:

kidgloves2
Jun-27-2012, 9:00pm
I'm really curious abour the finish? is the neck smooth? I played an eastman with a satin neck and it was a little rough. Also, will the finish protect the wood or is it porous?

Bob Clark
Jun-28-2012, 1:13am
Hey Forestf5,

That's a real beauty! I am sure it sounds as good as it looks. Best wishes for lots of great music with it!

Bob

cayuga red
Jun-28-2012, 6:04am
What a beauty! I just picked it up Saturday afternoon at a local music store in town. Great little mandolin! I'm enjoying my first Weber! :mandosmiley:
You've done very well for yourself with this fine mandolin. Play it in good health

Gene Summers
Jun-28-2012, 10:54am
You've done very well for yourself with this fine mandolin. Play it in good health
Thanks, I am recovering from major surgery last year, doing very well I might say. Kidgloves2, it has a nitro-cellulose finish on the body and neck. Some players sand off the finish to help them play faster, but this one will stay as came from the factory in Montana.
Bob Clark, Thanks and the same to you! Happy picking y'all! :mandosmiley:

JGWoods
Jun-28-2012, 3:44pm
I admire those Gallatins. I think that's all I would ever need.

Someday...

George R. Lane
Jun-28-2012, 4:23pm
Forest,
As the unofficial Weber Welcome Wagon I am glad to welcome you to the Weber family. Bruce and the crew make a wonderful instrument. If you ever find your way up here in Montana do go by the shop. They are happy to give a tour and meet the folks who built your mando. I hope you have many enjoyable years of playing.

Gene Summers
Jun-29-2012, 12:22am
Forest,
As the unofficial Weber Welcome Wagon I am glad to welcome you to the Weber family. Bruce and the crew make a wonderful instrument. If you ever find your way up here in Montana do go by the shop. They are happy to give a tour and meet the folks who built your mando. I hope you have many enjoyable years of playing.

Why thank you very much George, for the kind welcome, and well wishes! I wish I lived closer to the birthplace of my Gallatin. I will surely visit there, if I am ever in the area, looks like a beautiful place to be. I really love the old school house, lots of history there. Everything Bruce and his fellow craftspeople are very good people, from what I see and hear. Pickin' is good therapy for sure!

Gene Summers
Jun-29-2012, 11:05pm
"Everything Bruce and his fellow craftspeople are very good people, from what I see and hear".

OOPS, I meant to say, Bruce and his craftsmen (and women) are very good people, from what I hear. Thanks again everyone! :)

Wayne Bagley
Jun-29-2012, 11:44pm
Congrats on such a fine mandolin. This is that mandolin that I dream of owning.
Perhaps some day...........

Enjoy your instrument.

Gene Summers
Jul-02-2012, 12:49pm
I was wondering what type of spruce is on my Gallatin A? I think it is red spruce, any ideas? I love the tone it produces, very responsive too. :)

Brett Byers
Jul-02-2012, 7:49pm
I was wondering what type of spruce is on my Gallatin A? I think it is red spruce, any ideas? I love the tone it produces, very responsive too. :)

Unless it was special ordered with red spruce (many are) it has a Sitka spruce top.

Gene Summers
Jul-02-2012, 8:58pm
It has a wide grain on the bass side to the edge. Does sitka spruce have this wide grain too?

JEStanek
Jul-02-2012, 9:10pm
Depends on where it grew and what section was used. Call/email Weber (http://www.soundtoearth.com/contact.php)and ask. They may have the record of the materials based on your serial number. They have great service and are fun to talk with. Trust me, they are as crazy about your mandolin as you are!

Jamie

PS, welcome to the Cafe!

PPS, Just noticed Brett from Weber posted. You could still call and chat
em up.

Gene Summers
Jul-02-2012, 9:53pm
Unless it was special ordered with red spruce (many are) it has a Sitka spruce top.

Thanks for the info Brett, you guys sure make beautiful sounding and looking instruments, keep up the good work! ;-)
I will give Weber a call in the near future, they sound like down to earth people.

Brett Byers
Jul-02-2012, 11:09pm
If you call the shop and ask for Joann, give her your serial # and she can tell you what the top wood is. Based on the pictures, I'm going with Sitka. Red spruce, when finished in that color (Faded Leather) takes the stain in such a way that a "racing stripe" appears right down the middle of the top, and I'm not seeing that in your pictures. The Gallatin A mandolin is one of my favorites. Simple in features, but awesome in tone. :) Enjoy your new baby, and welcome to the Weber family!

Gene Summers
Jul-02-2012, 11:35pm
If you call the shop and ask for Joann, give her your serial # and she can tell you what the top wood is. Based on the pictures, I'm going with Sitka. Red spruce, when finished in that color (Faded Leather) takes the stain in such a way that a "racing stripe" appears right down the middle of the top, and I'm not seeing that in your pictures. The Gallatin A mandolin is one of my favorites. Simple in features, but awesome in tone. :) Enjoy your new baby, and welcome to the Weber family!

I'll be sure to ask for Joann, and Thanks, Brother! :grin: