PDA

View Full Version : Sullivan mandolins at Wintergrass

mandolinplayer
Feb-22-2004, 2:52am
I heard that there are going to be a group of players with Sullivan mandolins meeting at Wintergrass. I did a search on this message board, but didn't see anything about it. Does anyone here have information about this? Thanks.

Spruce
Feb-22-2004, 1:23pm
There was some chatter about this, but I haven't heard anything further...

I tried to talk John S. into coming up for the weekend, but I doubt he'll make it....

Mando Medic
Feb-22-2004, 6:42pm
I got a call from someone the other day that said they were on the CoMando list and that there was a group of CoMando's that were going to meet in a room at Wintergrass and just pass instruments around. This person asked me if I felt threatend by this as it was to happpen at the same time as the Mandolin Tasting. I don't feel on way or the other. It's their loss. I'm not sure if this was the Sullivan group or not as the caller did not identify themselves. So as Spruce said, we don't know.

mandolinplayer
Feb-22-2004, 9:13pm
Thanks, Bruce & Ken. I'm keeping my ears open.

TomBrisk
Feb-23-2004, 9:27am
I posted the following to the "nwbluegrass" group (http://groups.yahoo.com/); we'll see what the response is, then I'll post here again.

Ok, so with the mando tasting @ Wintergrass back on at the 11th hour
(cool, Ken!), that opens the door for this:

John Sullivan has made a lot of mandos that are in the hands of
listers or their friends.
Bruce Harvey and I would like to get a Sully Jam together at some
point during the weekend. Thursday is probably out, as that's when
the tasting is, and it's... Thursday, pretty early in the 'weekend'.

So, another time/place would be arraigned that would be suitable.

Anyone interested?

-Tom Brisk

Spruce
Feb-23-2004, 11:29am
How 'bout Thursday after the tasting??
The night is young....

TomBrisk
Feb-23-2004, 2:18pm
"The night is young" and so is my kid- so I'd have to leave Thursday before too late.

Another suggestion would be mid-day Friday... say, meet at your booth at take it from there?
Suggestions?

-Tom

mandolinplayer
Feb-24-2004, 2:30am
I'm interested in meeting - How about Friday before or after
the Sam Bush workshop (said to be @ 1:45-2:45 pm)? Bruce - I just heard that you're a great player. Hope I'm not too intimidated!

Spruce
Feb-24-2004, 12:30pm
OK....
Let's say 3-3:30 or so at the Orcas Island Tonewoods booth in the Sheritan? #Sam is scheduled to end at 2:45, but he doesn't have anyone behind him, so it could go a tad later....
I'll post a map of where my booth is...

"Bruce - I just heard that you're a great player. Hope I'm not too intimidated! "

That's pretty funny... # # #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

JamesBryan
Feb-24-2004, 4:57pm
Totally cool idea, the 2004 Sullivan tasting! #I'll bring my '00 F-5 (named "RG" on the tag). #I had sold a '92 for this one which I wish was still around, because it would make a good contrast. #IMO John's work has settled in at a very high level over the past 4-5 years. #There will only be subtle differences in the recent models, mostly made w/ German Red. #I compared my '00 with Kerry Williams' '03 from last fall and they were twins. #Kerry had sold what I believe was a '38 F-5 [over the Cafe classifieds] for a healthy sum exceeding $21K and felt much happier with the Sullivan. #

I last ran into John at the Laurelthirst Pub here in SE Portland. I was in to check out the gypsy band Kung Pao Chickens and to hear Jon Neufeld's brand new Sullivan archtop jazz guitar. #Which is light as a feather and loud as a...well you know. #I turned around and there was John, just rapt and absorbed admiring his new baby on the stand. Really rapt. #He'd also made a very similar tenor guitar for Seamus Eagan here. #So he's branching out and seems like he'll take on whatever's intriguing. #John's got a cult following, and it helps if you can shoot par and have your own clubs. #Check out the luthier article on him in Mando Mag, about three years ago.

See you Fri. Somebody bring a digital camera; I don't have one. #Jim

TomBrisk
Feb-25-2004, 12:47pm
Looks like only a few so far... I'll re-list in the Yahoo group to try and dig up more.
I just got a letter from John, and he's not going to make it, but appreciates the concept and wishes us all fun.

"mando medic" as listed here, (no name as yet)
"mandolinplayer" as listed here,(no name as yet)
Steve Blanchard - band services coordinator
Bruce Harvey - Orcas Island Tone Woods, in the vendor's room, behind ticket sales and info booth on the mezzanine
JamesBryan, as listed in the mando café board
Tom Brisk - Floating around somewhere...

Anyone know of other owners?

TIME/PLACE:
Friday 3-3:30 or so at the Orcas Island Tonewoods booth

I'll have the '92 A and the 12/29/2001 F. (New one every 10 years, wether I need one or not, haha)
And I can't wait to see Bruce's new F, with the raised grain. Tactile, totally tactile..

-Tom Brisk

G_Smolt
Feb-25-2004, 3:01pm
Someone oughta get ahold of Dave Pugh (jackstraw's mando picker), he should be there all weekend...

Not sure if Caleb Klauder (foghorn sb) will be in town, he might be at the 'Frisco festival this weekend.

Those two do justice to John's fine work.

mandolooter
Feb-25-2004, 8:43pm
I don't have a Sullivan but Im gonna stop by and give em a listen, sse ya Friday.

mandopete
Feb-25-2004, 11:08pm
Yeah, you might try and see if Jeff Smith (Sam Hill) is around, he might have his Sullivan. I might just have to stop by and listen...Tom's Sullivan is KILLER!

Scott Tichenor
Feb-29-2004, 9:21am
Just back from WinterGrass. Mandolin overload... mandolin overload. Bruce Harvie's new Sullivan was a spectacular mandolin. Very impressive and I'd rate it one of the top five I played of easily over a hundred different mandolins at WinterGrass. I may have played 200. Who knows... This was a rare chance for me to play a lot of mandolins built by builders that I hear about all the time but don't get to see in the midwest. Let me tell you, our community is absolutely in no danger of running out of great instruments from individual builders. I'll have some more info on WinterGrass posted at some point as soon as I play some catch-up.

Spruce
Mar-01-2004, 4:53pm
Here's some pics....