PDA

View Full Version : March 31, 24 #79824

JFDilmando
Jun-25-2012, 6:30pm
This one has come on the market with Elderly... they now have four Loars sitting on the shelf. Do any of you folks know this mandolin..... at all ?

JFDilmando
Jun-25-2012, 6:31pm
I meant to include the link...
http://www.elderly.com/vintage/names/gibson-f-5-%281924%29--90U-6141.htm

William Smith
Jun-25-2012, 7:42pm
Well shes' in the archives,,says somethin about an altered serial #but it was likely done at factory!,,I like it,very nice horn...Well as many Loars that are for sale, I'd think if they want to sell em they better really lower the prices unless they like havin em sit around for years with no takers? Even though for what they are they are worth everypenny that all the dealers/pickers want for em..

mrmando
Jun-25-2012, 8:26pm
I won that mandolin from Billy "Left Eye" Lockwood in a poker game in Wyoming in 1936. He won it back from me the following night in a shooting match, which I lost because I didn't have a gun.

G7MOF
Jun-26-2012, 3:02am
It says, (Loar STYLE) bridge! Is that a way of saying none original?

mrmando
Jun-26-2012, 3:09am
No, that's not what it says.

It says:

"The Gibson" tailpiece cover (Loar-style), adjustable ebony bridge (stamped "PAT'D JAN. 18 21"),

"Loar-style" refers to the tailpiece cover, not the bridge. If the bridge has the patent stamp, it's probably original.

Darryl Wolfe
Jun-26-2012, 11:28am
This mandolin was previously owned by Bill Camp who frequented guitar shows and had quite a collection of nice instruments. I am pretty sure it sold years ago and is just now coming on the market again. I made the note about altered serial number because it looks a tad funny. I do not think anyone altered it outside the factory. It just MIGHT have been changed there for some reason. The serial does not fit the date nor does it really fit the March 31 batch of Fern Loars. It's just an odd ball serial. Otherwise is it typical March 31, 1924 Fern Loar

The serial number almost looks like it was written through the F-hole

G7MOF
Jun-26-2012, 4:33pm
b
No, that's not what it says.

It says:

"Loar-style" refers to the tailpiece cover, not the bridge. If the bridge has the patent stamp, it's probably original.

Sorry, my mistake, I put the comma in the wrong place when reading!

JFDilmando
Jun-26-2012, 4:57pm
Darryl, have you seen many other Gibson "through the f hole" serial numbers Loars or otherwise ? I don't recall any Loars with that irregularity.
So the thought goes.... built in March, or at least a signed label in March... essentially completed, but with a blank label glued in... placed on the shelf, and then when the Dec 21's were being shipped out, this one was numbered along with those and shipped out...

How do you think this one looks relative to all the other march 24's.... all looks like a Marchish Loar ?

Any memories of anyone talking about sound out of this particular mandolin?

JFDilmando
Jul-04-2012, 9:19am
If you look at Darryl's picture there seems to be a ghost of a "5".... it would be very interesting to look at this label under uv light...
You plug a "5" into this sequence and it easily fits into a March 31 sequence...

I think the label looks like it has been changed, not just a virgin number added as an afterthought... Darryl, have you ever been able to examine this particular label with a uv light?? looks like erased and rewritten perhaps....