PDA

View Full Version : My 3 friends don't get along: Gibson 1917A, ToneGard & Travelite

Brutus1999
Jun-25-2012, 4:23pm
Yeah, so I have a great sounding Gibson 1917 round hole A, and it sounds even better with the (somewhat bulky, I admit) ToneGard. But I wanted an F-hole "better than a beater but less valuable than the Gibson". So I got a used "THE LOAR" (notice the "THE") 400 for 325 including shipping. It seems okay. And I got a Travelite case. Works great. So I thought, well, if I take the Gibson anywhere, I can use the Travelite case for that also, instead of the 1917 heavy wooden case which probably transmits every bump to the Gibson. And sort of doesn't always lock quite securely.....

BUT THE GIBSON A WITH TONEGARD DOESN'T FIT IN THE TRAVELITE! WAH! The "THE LOAR" does, and the Gibson without the ToneGard does. Anyone have any ideas (besides the obvious one of "ditch the ToneGard" ?

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jun-25-2012, 7:39pm
Some people had reported success enlarging the interior of the travelite case to fit a bulkier mandolin. If I were you though, I'd probably just slip the toneguard on and off when carrying it. Or, try a TKL arched top case, as I remember it working quite well for my old A-jr with toneguard.

mandroid
Jun-28-2012, 8:12pm
The active ingredient in travel-light cases is styrene foam, like beer coolers, isn't it?

you could make tight spots looser by pressing divots in the foam..