PDA

View Full Version : Hilburn #59

Jim Hilburn
Jun-25-2012, 4:22pm
This is the 4th octave I've made. Check out the Waverly's because it will probably be a while til I use them again.
This was clearly the best sounding one yet as soon as I got it tuned up. Like a grand piano.

Jill McAuley
Jun-25-2012, 4:39pm
Absolutely gorgeous Jim!

Cheers,
Jill

dcoventry
Jun-25-2012, 5:07pm
It's beautiful, to be sure, but man am I a sucker for bound f-holes. Yow! Sexy!

Denny Gies
Jun-25-2012, 5:10pm
Very nice, you should be proud.

Cheryl Watson
Jun-25-2012, 5:33pm
Gorgeous. Maybe you will get a sound clip up on your site someday soon(?)

Max Girouard
Jun-25-2012, 5:54pm
That is really amazing!

Loretta Callahan
Jun-25-2012, 6:24pm
Beautiful!!

mandolirius
Jun-25-2012, 6:54pm
It's beautiful, to be sure, but man am I a sucker for bound f-holes. Yow! Sexy!

Yes indeed! A fabulous-looking instrument. Love it.

Bound f-holes also turn my crank, on a guitar size/shape instrument. On regular mandolins, not so much for some reason.

Steve-o
Jun-25-2012, 6:58pm
Striking! Let's hear that grand piano Jim.

Marty Jacobson
Jun-25-2012, 7:51pm
Beautiful work.
I want to be Jim Hilburn when I grow up.

Jonathan James
Jun-25-2012, 7:56pm
Wow, that is truly exquisite work. Hats off to Jim and congrats to the lucky owner!

Kagey
Jun-25-2012, 8:06pm
A masterpiece

Steve Sorensen
Jun-25-2012, 11:22pm
Wow.

Mike Black
Jun-26-2012, 12:25am
Another beauty Jim! :grin:

Tavy
Jun-26-2012, 3:55am
+1 on the wow!!

Skip Kelley
Jun-26-2012, 4:19am
Jim, that is a real work of art! Beautifuly done!!

OldGus
Jun-26-2012, 9:00am
It looks Amazing! Beautiful dark Ebony fretboard. I bet it sounds great. Your stuff doesn't just look good... you're indicating the harmonics and pronunciation are great when you say it's like a Grand Piano? Perhaps a bit tight in response? What top wood did you use on this one, Jim?

Don Grieser
Jun-26-2012, 9:02am
Beautiful. Wow!

Ed Goist
Jun-26-2012, 9:10am
Breathtaking.
Congratulations Jim!

Jim Hilburn
Jun-26-2012, 10:23am
Here's a couple of new shots. I had mis-numbered the front shot but I wanted to get a shot of the tailpiece to show Larry in Tucson. Larry is my brother in law who is a master machinist at a large production shop specializing in custom work for the aerospace and defense contractors. I muddled through the first couple of these but I'm neither skilled enough or tooled up properly to get the holes drilled and the recess for the string balls done accurately. So Larry did a precision job of it for me and made a bag full of the brass string stops as well as 4 of the tp blanks.
The first octave Imade was for myself. I actually thought seriously about getting one from Bill or Fletcher because I had mandolin orders to do but my wife shamed me into doing it myself. That required the design work, the mold and template work but it's turned out to have been worth it.
I had no wood for that first one but I knew if I got an englemann top from Don Musser it would be well seasoned and I did have a nice piece of quilt big enough for the back and sides. The next 2 were red spruce and red maple. This one is englemann and red maple. The upcoming one will be red top and bigleaf back.
Gus, tight isn't a word I'd use, more like "open".

OldGus
Jun-26-2012, 10:50am
I meant tight in a good way like a Martin guitar. Tight but not too tight. I think of the piano type response as being quick, pronounced and controlled. I'm glad your wife talked you into building one, it seems it is leading toward many more!

Gerry Cassidy
Jun-26-2012, 10:55am
Beautiful, Jim! I'd love to have a go on this fella'.

I really like the trap tailpiece as well. Both of my OM's have them and I wouldn't have anything else. They are as stable as any other I've used and they make string changes a breeze.

I am not sure why you made the comment about the Waverly's but if your experience was the same as mine; I played a mandocello that had the same set you have on here and they are nice, but not $300-400 nicer than a good set of the others that are available. I was kind of disappointed when I gave them a twist. They didn't turn any easier than the Schaller's, or the others that are on my other mandos'. Maybe my expectations were too high? I guess that was my fault.

Anyway, not to take away from the wonderful instrument you have created. Wish it were mine!

Brad Weiss
Jun-26-2012, 11:00am
Cripes. That's a peach. Reminds me of my tenor guitar - only much more beautiful, and it'll play in G (while my TG is still keeping me on my toes in C). Well done!.

Jim Hilburn
Jun-26-2012, 11:40am
The wavs are great, but this is only the second set I ever used and not many are willing to spring for them. But it's the clients choice.

Ed Goist
Jun-26-2012, 2:24pm
I love the look of a trapeze-style tailpiece on a floating-bridge guitar-bodied instrument. Classy...
Wonderfully functional also.
Jim, this instrument is totally off the chart.

Jim Hilburn
Jul-04-2012, 9:56am
I got 59 recorded last night. I'll write more about the session later but here's the tunes.

Don Grieser
Jul-04-2012, 10:09am
59 sounds every bit as good as it looks. Congrats on another fantastic instrument!

Mark Seale
Jul-04-2012, 10:29am
Really nice Jim!!!

OldGus
Jul-04-2012, 10:36am
It sounds fantastic! Super deep, powerful and resonant. Your right Jim, it seems very open already. Congratulations!

Jim Hilburn
Jul-04-2012, 11:44am
I had to go walk the dog before it got to hot.
I went back to Coupe with John McVey engineering. Dave Goldenberg is one of Boulder's young guns and he was in the top 5 at Winfield last year. He and Jordan Ramsey were recognized as 4th and 5th but all the armchair judges I know put them 2nd and 3rd. The first tune is "Shove the Pig's Foot a Little Farther in the Fire" and he played it the same way I remember his playing in the contest, starting with a fairly basic version of the tune and then embellishing on it as he goes. I added the rhythm guitar and I wanted it mixed way in the back but I might get John to send me another version where it's a little more present. What do you think?
The second is a freeform "Cluck Old Hen". I wish you could hear them in the control room!

Max Girouard
Jul-05-2012, 7:03am
I know it is very hard to get a real life example of what the instrument really sounds like in a recording, but regardless, both tracks sound wonderful. I can only imagine what they sound like in person. Thanks for the clips!

Rick Albertson
Jul-11-2012, 6:32pm
Jim's latest -- Octave Mandolin #59 -- is now up on his site along with remixed sound tracks. As usual, an amazing build looks-wise and sound-wise!

http://hilburnmandolins.com/gallery59.html

Cheryl Watson
Jul-11-2012, 7:09pm
Jim, this OM sounds very articulate with full, strong, deep tone! Thanks for the clips. I hope to play and perhaps own one your fine octaves one day.

pjlama
Jul-14-2012, 12:31am
Wonderful work, very impressive in every way. I have this friend... who wanted me to ask... if its available?

Jim Hilburn
Jul-14-2012, 8:22am
Sorry, but this one is safe in it's new home.
My wife told me the guitar on Pigsfoot (me) wasn't strong enough in the mix so John sent this new version.

Steve-o
Jul-14-2012, 10:18am
Wonderful work, very impressive in every way. I have this friend... who wanted me to ask... if its available?

:))

jasona
Jul-19-2012, 8:55am
Sustain all day long.

Want!